Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Incidents of Tesla fires...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is true, but because of this fact you need a safe battery pack!

Fortunately it is relatively. Can’t imagine driving a gas car like that.

Would I like the battery to be perfectly safe and have the same performance? Of course. Until that day arrives, I will use the current one.

Last edited:
O.k. I see you want to compare apples (luxury cars) with peaches (all cars).

Here an article from 2013, which mentions 209 fire deaths in US per year (2013):
One Statistic Shows Why Everyone Needs To Relax About The Recent Tesla Fires

When i compare all registered cars (256 millions in 2013) with ~250k registered Tesla model S/X in the last 12 months, the fire fatality rate (5) of Tesla S/X is 24 times as high as of all cars!

Compared with only luxury cars < 7 years this would be a even much higher rate!
It'd be cool if you used accurate data.

NFPA statistics - Highway vehicle fires by year

With about 253 million vehicles on the road in the US, and about 180,000 vehicle fires per year average, that equates to roughly 1 vehicle fire for every 1,405 vehicles on the road. Tesla on the other hand, according to your own stats, has about 1 vehicle fire per every 10,000 vehicles.

But keep peddling your lies.

It'd be cool if you used accurate data.

NFPA statistics - Highway vehicle fires by year

With about 253 million vehicles on the road in the US, and about 180,000 vehicle fires per year average, that equates to roughly 1 vehicle fire for every 1,405 vehicles on the road. Tesla on the other hand, according to your own stats, has about 1 vehicle fire per every 10,000 vehicles.

But keep peddling your lies.

Technically that isn't the same statistic that he is reporting. You are reporting vehicles fires, where he is reporting deaths caused by vehicle fires. My guess is that there is no good source for deaths caused by a vehicle fire. (For example he claimed that in a recent Tesla accident with a fire that a person died three weeks after the accident. He assumed the fire caused the death, but we don't know that for a fact.)

Technically that isn't the same statistic that he is reporting. You are reporting vehicles fires, where he is reporting deaths caused by vehicle fires. My guess is that there is no good source for deaths caused by a vehicle fire. (For example he claimed that in a recent Tesla accident with a fire that a person died three weeks after the accident. He assumed the fire caused the death, but we don't know that for a fact.)
I didn't address that because so far he's provided no source for his claims, and he seems to be counting every tesla fire he can find even if there was no death.

Reactions: mtndrew1
I already provided you with a list of the fatal fiery crashes. Here again the 5 of the last 12 months:

Mar. 18: Mountainview, 1 dead driver
May 18: Fort Lauderdale 1 dead driver, 1 dead passenger
Dec. 18 Rindge, NH, 1 dead passenger
Feb. 19 Davie, FL, 1 dead driver

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
9 month old BMW catches fire while parked.
Sept 11, 2018
Car owner Knut Grevle tweeted about the shocking blaze: "How does my 2017 X3 catch on fire after only having it for 9 months!?!?! My wife and child could have been in that car. It was parked and turned off!"

The family credits their neighbor for keeping the fire from potentially spreading to their home.
LA family demands answers after parked BMW catches fire

BMW to recall 1.6 million vehicles worldwide over fire risk
Oct 25, 2018
FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) — Automaker BMW says it is expanding a recall to cover 1.6 million vehicles worldwide due to possible fluid leaks that could result in a fire.
BMW to recall 1.6 million vehicles worldwide over fire risk | Boston.com | Boston.com

I already provided you with a list of the fatal fiery crashes. Here again the 5 of the last 12 months:

And you know for a fact that the cause of death in all of those cases was the fire?

Reactions: f3honda4me
And you know for a fact that the cause of death in all of those cases was the fire?

He doesn't as the Mountainview one is a really well known one where all the facts are known about it. The driver was pulled out before the fire started.

I'm only aware of this most recent one which was really tragic as people were trying to get him out, and the Florida one that killed the kid in a fire.

Obviously someone being burned alive is going to sit in my memory banks forever latched due how tragic it is.

But, at the end of the day all of those were caused by reckless driving at high speed. They're similar to the Paul Walker fatality.

The other 2 passengers survived! Do you know about cauterization with HF (fluorhydric acid)?

I don't want to discuss with you guys about the fact if Teslas burn or not. I just wanted to encourage to ask for a recall.

At least a dielectric battery coolant should be standard in the price class the Tesla sells!

The car i drive mainly didn't catch fire up to now!

Here a list of places where Teslas caught fire:

Kent, Washington
Merida, Mexiko
Mursfreesboro, Tennesse
Irvine, Kalifornien
Toronto Kanada
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Los Angeles, Kalifornien †
Malibu, Kalifornien †
Gjerstad, Norwegen
Bayonne, Frankreich
Gratkorn, Österreich
Baarn, Niederlande †
Indianapolis ††
Shanghai
Manchester
Guangzhou
Phoenix
Irvine
Ermensee, Schweiz
Burien Washington
Lake Forest, Kalifornien
Pians Arlberg
Amsterdam
Mountainview, Kalifornien †
Fort Lauderdale ††
Bellinzona †
Los Angeles, Kalifornien
West Kelowna Kanada
New Jersey
Boguszów Polen
Los Gatos, CA
Rindge, NH †
Fremont, CA
Davie, FL †

List of Places where an Internal Combustion Engines Caught Fire:
Friggin EVERYWHERE!
Gas Powered Vehicles Start on Fire too.
Maybe Every Car in the World should be recalled by your Logic...

1. It is pointless to quibble over whether or not the deceased were alive once cremation commenced, as given the nature of Li-ion battery fires there will probably not be enough left of them afterwards to make that determination, unless they happened to get lucky and smash into a parked firetruck, itself something of an infamous phenomenon when Tesla AP combines poorly with the vagaries of human nature.

2. If a Tesla crashes and burns with occupants inside that is already bad enough, no matter if it was the trauma, noxious fumes or fire which ultimately provided the finishing touch.

3. What seems very clear is that Models S/X are much more prone to catch catastrophic fire than the Model 3, whether spontaneously or as the result of a crash, and this is something I for one, thinking of my children in the back, would like to see redressed or mitigated by the company, if at all possible, even if at my own expense. Harping on about how many Beemers also catch fire is neither a solution nor any comfort, it is mere whatabouttery to deflect from a real problem.

4. Alternatively, instead of looking at the very low bar of ICE combustibility, why not compare the fire stats of Tesla S/X to established OEM BEVs of the same generation, e.g. Nissan LEAF or BMW i3? I think you know or will discover they do not come off very favourably: Wikipedia knows of 1 LEAF fire and 0 for i3, versus a very long paragraph of Tesla incidents.

5. If I am correctly informed the M3 battery pack [in contrast to that of S/X] is *not* a structural load-carrying component, thus the M3 chassis is designed for full strength around it or even in its absence. This was remarked upon by Sandy Munro in his teardown video, who failed to understand why the vehicle was so expensively over-engineered. The now obvious but unstated answer is that probably around 2015 someone at Tesla wisely decided they could not afford to reproduce the MS fire vulnerability stats on a much larger scale, as it would in all probability doom the company. Hence the M3 was significantly beefed up and the pack itself loaded with intumescent foam material. Welcome result: there has as yet been no M3 combusted spontaneously or as a result of impact.

6. I have also read on this forum that the original Model S did have the same or similar intumescent foam material in their battery packs, but that this was discontinued. If anyone can point to evidence on this either way, I would appreciate the confirmation.

He doesn't as the Mountainview one is a really well known one where all the facts are known about it. The driver was pulled out before the fire started.

I'm only aware of this most recent one which was really tragic as people were trying to get him out, and the Florida one that killed the kid in a fire.

Obviously someone being burned alive is going to sit in my memory banks forever latched due how tragic it is.

But, at the end of the day all of those were caused by reckless driving at high speed. They're similar to the Paul Walker fatality.

7. Add to your latched list the Bellinzona case, where it is well documented that the driver was fully cremated in situ (reportedly the fire-brigade were delayed by jammed traffic so by the time they started to spray water it was more or less just on the remnant puddle of molten alloy)

A German chap in a Model S crashed into motorway divider at Bellinzona, Switzerland, in May 2018, car flipped and caught fire ... judging from the video there was probably not much left to autopsy, so, as in this Florida case, it is 50:50 he survived the initial crash.
View attachment 380510

8. Also two teenagers died in the Florida MX crash, whereas the rear-seat passenger propelled out the windscreen survived. In any case this is not a comprehensive list, e.g. here.

Last edited:
Well hell they should all be recalled then! All the BMWs and Teslas and so forth!

What do you drive?
Guys like him will never tell you what they drive. My guess, based on location and his argument about refrigerant, is a Mercedes. But that’s just a guess.

Such is the life of a troll. The ‘logic’ in his argument is severely lacking.

No, this is just another troll with the “mine is bigger than yours” argument. But we just don’t know what his is. ;)

Reactions: mtndrew1

The mountainview crash the driver was reported to have been killed by the injuries from the crash, and the driver was pulled from the car, before the fire engulfed it. Fort Lauderdale it appears one died from injuries not related to the fire, the other was likely the fire. So that's one. The Rindge one, they did not indicate which injuries caused her eventual death - fire related or non fire related. David FL there is no indication if fire was the cause of death or not.

So again, you just keep looking up fires and tesla deaths, and telling everyone it's the fire that killed them, when in some cases you're flat out wrong, and in most others, there is no indication if fire was the actual cause or not.

Not to mention, we don't know if these cars would have caught on fire or not had they been ICE vehicles in the same crashes.

New Ipswich teen burned in Tesla crash has died

Sorry for my imperfection, i'm not a native speaker.

Then you should slow down and take more care when posting in English.

It is really not helpful when you assert that someone was "burnt alive" when in reality they "suffered burns" together with multiple fractures and other injuries that in combination caused the person to die in surgery one month after the accident.

Sorry guys, but i feel like a social worker meeting drug addicts on the street!

I try to explain you the riskiness of your drug abuse, but you continue telling me that drinking alcohol is much more dangerous to health!

Just to complete the list of known Tesla S/X fire places:

Shelburne Bay, Lake Champlain, VT

I would name all the places that ICE cars have caught on fire but alas there is probably a limit on how many characters can fit in this post so I wont even try..........

• Love
Reactions: SmartElectric
Sorry guys, but i feel like a social worker meeting drug addicts on the street!

I try to explain you the riskiness of your drug abuse, but you continue telling me that drinking alcohol is much more dangerous to health!

Just to complete the list of known Tesla S/X fire places:

Shelburne Bay, Lake Champlain, VT

Why do you keep avoiding the question about which car you drive, Herr Ingenieur? And where do you work? I guess both answers would point to a big German OEM, making it clear you have a hidden agenda.

Reactions: Ken7