TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Incidents of Tesla fires...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by IngTH, Feb 25, 2019.

1. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

All I can say is, wow, one of those firefighters is huge.

• Funny x 2
  2. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

3. Ciaopec

Ciaopec Reservations at Restaurant at Universe end

Close to where SpaceXploration begins: 32952

The sky is falling, the sky is falling! @IngTH Save yourself from falling skies: Don't drive a Tesla (don't even think about riding in one).

4. PWlakewood

PWlakewood Member

Especially dont ride in a Tesla that has a panoramic roof.....you would see the sky falling literally...just sayin:)

• Funny x 3
  5. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

note to self:
    don't discharge a firearm into the battery, or hammer nails into it . Otherwise no worries.

(seem to remember an iPace went up in flames apparently in a battery fire so nmc burns too)

• Funny x 1
  6. A-Wimoweh

A-Wimoweh Member

The really sad/ironic thing here is that this fire was totally caused by the driver's ignorance. Not just because of the way he was doing donuts for several minutes, but he didn't let his car cool down properly after running it hard like that. That orange glow underneath the car? Just the cat getting white hot from running it at the redline for a few minutes. I can't tell for sure from the video, but I suspect the car was immediately parked after the donuts stopped.
    Had they kept driving the car slowly, like 15 to 20 mph for 5 minutes or so, this would have allowed air to flow over the cat on the outside, and cooler exhaust gasses to flow through it on the inside. But if you run it hard like that then suddenly stop, it can't cool, and it eventually transfers the heat to the surrounding parts of the car, and when they get close to ignition, you get all that smoke. When they get past the ignition point, you get flames. All of this could have been prevented with a 5 minute or so cool down run...
    So much stupidity elsewhere in the video... What do you think would happen to your body if you fell down, and you get between the pavement and a hot spinning tire? I know cars usually don't explode like in the movies, but the car parts that are burning produce fumes that you don't want to inhale...

7. am_dmd

am_dmd Member

That shot was aimed at V9

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  8. PWlakewood

PWlakewood Member

Yup sure is another one without facts about what caused a car fire. From what I've seen in the past when the battery catches on fire then there's alot more destruction and this one didnt seem to have as much as others. Not saying that they are being dishonest but facts need to come out first before all the FUD spreaders make an appearance.

9. SO16

SO16 Member

In the news report, it said it wasn’t being charged and it doesn’t appear to have come from the battery. They stated by right rear tire. The charge port is on the left. Will be curious to see what this was. The news anchor even stated how Tesla is always under a microscope. No doubt.

10. PWlakewood

PWlakewood Member

Where does the battery connect to the drive unit? Is it on the right for left side. It will be interesting to see what the cause was.

11. IngTH

IngTH Member

12. darxsys

darxsys Member

I saw an insane ICE car fire on I5 on my way from Vancouver to Seattle last Sunday. Was it in any news? This bias is killing me.

Thank you Tesla for taking this seriously and providing an update as usual!

13. f205v

f205v Member

Day before yesterday the autobahn near my home was blocked for 2 hours because an ICE car (not involved in any accident!) just caught fire by itself while driving. Thanks God the driver had time to pull over and escape the fire, but the fire-fighters team had to fight a good 20 minutes before extinguishing it.
    It was on the local news, TBH.

14. SO16

SO16 Member

Definitely lots of recalls from other manufacturers.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019 Investors' Roundtable

15. Ken7

Ken7 Member

And here the media made me think Tesla was the only car that suffered from fires. ;)

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  16. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

Hear crunchy noise from bottom? Ran over large metal pieces on highway, did a rebar scrape on an angled driveway?
    Immediately inspect the bottom plate and seek help.

Amazing how many potheads just live like robots out there.