Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Included charging adaptor not Universal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 Model Y and I recently moved to Oklahoma where I am forced to use third party charging stations. ChargePoint works fine but one called Francis and another called FreeWire wouldn’t accept the adaptor. The pins were correct but the adaptor has two tabs that stick out on the bottom and top. These tabs prevented the adaptor from inserting. Has anyone had a problem using their adaptor on third-party charging stations?

Attachments

• 78F9FDB0-6D59-451F-BAD6-7AAC8331CDA9.jpeg
    78F9FDB0-6D59-451F-BAD6-7AAC8331CDA9.jpeg
    414.6 KB · Views: 118
I have a 2020 Model Y and I recently moved to Oklahoma where I am forced to use third party charging stations. ChargePoint works fine but one called Francis and another called FreeWire wouldn’t accept the adaptor. The pins were correct but the adaptor has two tabs that stick out on the bottom and top. These tabs prevented the adaptor from inserting. Has anyone had a problem using their adaptor on third-party charging stations?
Try first attaching the Tesla J1772 adapter to the charging connector before inserting the Tesla adapter into the Tesla's charging port.

When you want to disconnect the charging adapter from the Tesla's charging port use the Tesla's charging screen, tap to unlock the charging port. The J1772 adapter should come out of the Tesla's charging port when you remove the charging cable.

Don't forget to take your Tesla J1772 adapter. Additional Tesla J1772 adapters are ($95) from the Tesla online store.

@Oceanic815 I am not seeing an actual photo of the charging handle you are talking about--just a stock picture kind of thing. Can you post an actual picture of the handle at the charging station you are talking about? VERY frequently people are talking about a CCS charging station, and the top part of that does look at lot like the J1772 handle, so people sometimes don't realize you can't use the adapter with that because CCS is for DC fast charging, and Tesla doesn't sell an adapter for that one yet. And yes, the CCS plugs are built with extra plastic tabs sticking out to prevent things like that, so you can't snap your J1772 adapter onto it.

So answering your main question, if it's a J1772 handle, then the Tesla adapter should work with ALL of those everywhere.