Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Included in Full Self Driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an order in for a Model Y. I have not ordered FSD as I intend to buy it after delivery like I did with the Model 3. I can then pay by credit card and get the travel points. I was counseled to do it this way by my model 3 rep.

When I look at my new order there is a link to save on FSD before delivery. When I click on it I see the text below.

What caught my eye is the item in blue. The implication is that the FSD computer is only included if you buy FSD. And since the post delivery FSD upgrade is just a software download, the further implication is that it's only included if you buy before delivery.

Is there something to this or is it just part of the pitch to buy now?

Autopilot

• Auto steering
  • Auto acceleration
  • Auto brake
Full Self-Driving
  • Navigate on Autopilot
  • Auto Lane Change
  • Autopark
  • Summon
  • FSD computer
Coming later this year:
  • Recognize traffic lights and stop signs
  • Automatic driving on city streets

I ordered the Y with FSD. At delivery I asked how much I could put on my credit card and they said none. So I asked them to remove the FSD from the car. Took them less than a minute to remove it from the purchase order and adjusted the price.

When I got home I went in the app and upgraded. Easy process.

Side note. Since FSD cost is not included in the MSRP of the car it might lower your excise tax on the license tab for the car.

I ordered the Y with FSD. At delivery I asked how much I could put on my credit card and they said none. So I asked them to remove the FSD from the car. Took them less than a minute to remove it from the purchase order and adjusted the price.

When I got home I went in the app and upgraded. Easy process.

Side note. Since FSD cost is not included in the MSRP of the car it might lower your excise tax on the license tab for the car.

This is a genius play... why didn't I think of this. Just removed FSD From my order and ill just buy it when I pick the car up. Credit card points and less tax... win win

Reactions: Koolio46 and hill
I have an order in for a Model Y. I have not ordered FSD as I intend to buy it after delivery like I did with the Model 3. I can then pay by credit card and get the travel points. I was counseled to do it this way by my model 3 rep.

When I look at my new order there is a link to save on FSD before delivery. When I click on it I see the text below.

What caught my eye is the item in blue. The implication is that the FSD computer is only included if you buy FSD. And since the post delivery FSD upgrade is just a software download, the further implication is that it's only included if you buy before delivery.

Autopilot

• Auto steering
  • Auto acceleration
  • Auto brake
Full Self-Driving
  • Navigate on Autopilot
  • Auto Lane Change
  • Autopark
  • Summon
  • FSD computer
Coming later this year:
  • Recognize traffic lights and stop signs
  • Automatic driving on city streets
Be sure your general sales tax is less than your vehicle sales tax. Those points could cost you more than you think. Of course, if you have some spend bonuses to burn through and can split the transaction...

Reactions: Reborn
This is a genius play... why didn't I think of this. Just removed FSD From my order and ill just buy it when I pick the car up. Credit card points and less tax... win win
Just check with your insurance before you do this. If you end up totaling the car and FSD was not part of original purchase, but an add on, does your insurance cover FSD too? Make sure, do not assume. FSD is not transferable, it will stay with the car.

Just check with your insurance before you do this. If you end up totaling the car and FSD was not part of original purchase, but an add on, does your insurance cover FSD too? Make sure, do not assume. FSD is not transferable, it will stay with the car.

That is an excellent point!

I do remember when I got insurance for the Model 3 (a few days before delivery) they asked me what the total invoice was. They also asked if I would be doing any modifications to the vehicle, to which I answered no.

I bought the FSD a day after delivery.

In the unfortunate event of a vehicle loss, it is entirely possible whey would not have covered the FSD.

That alone might be reason enough to buy the FSD with the original purchase.

If anyone has any experience or knowledge on this, please share.

Reactions: Watts_Up

Just talked to my agent and actually found out a lot more info that I didn't know

State Farm (My insurnace company) will cover most additions to the vehicle not present on the initial invoice so long as those items are well documented and sent to your agent at the time of purchase. Receipts and photos of the condition of the products are required, obviously the latter doesn't apply to a software only feature like FSD. Take this with a grain of salt as this is what my specific agent told me for my specific policy and case. YMMV. Talk to your agent.

Feels good to know not only is FSD covered but so is my PPF, tint, and future cosmetic items.

I will say, this was not the case with my Pontiac G8 that I built to be a street-able race car. They would not cover the performance modifications under a normal policy and I had to purchase track insurance among other policies to cover those items if I wanted to.

it's been a while since I looked, but doesnt Tesla charge more for buying FSD after you buy the car (or, if you prefer, charge less when you bundle FSD when you purchase the car)? They certainly did when I got my M3.

• Autopark
  • Summon
  • FSD computer
Back when Tesla was shipping HW2 on the M3 they promised upgrades to HW3 for everyone who bought FSD (since final FSD will require HW3). However, HW3 has been standard on M3 for some time now (and all MY as standard), so this text is just for legacy M3 owners who also get an HW2 to HW3 upgrade as well when they buy FSD (though all M3 owners probably will at some time, but Tesla are prioritizing upgrades for FSD owners). So your FSD purchase will just be a software upgrade over-the-air.

Back when Tesla was shipping HW2 on the M3 they promised upgrades to HW3 for everyone who bought FSD (since final FSD will require HW3). However, HW3 has been standard on M3 for some time now (and all MY as standard), so this text is just for legacy M3 owners who also get an HW2 to HW3 upgrade as well when they buy FSD (though all M3 owners probably will at some time, but Tesla are prioritizing upgrades for FSD owners). So your FSD purchase will just be a software upgrade over-the-air.

Not all MY have HW 3. If you never included FSD with your order, early MY orders could have come with HW 2.5 Just check this software tracker Update History | Teslascope

Last edited:
I have a theory... When they started producing the MY, this CV-19 pandemic was ramping up, shut downs were happening, and I think there were supply chain issues, so they installed HW 2.5 whenever needed to build a non-FSD order. There are also reports of LR AWD builds being equipped with the performance motor, as evidenced by the VIN number, which also points towards parts shortages and using whatever they had to build more cars to meet demand and end of Q numbers.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC