Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Incoming Wrap/PPF/Ceramic for Refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lzolman

Never thought I'd be driving the world's best car!
Supporting Member
Jun 13, 2019
Boston North Shore
I'm heading into what is totally uncharted territory for me, with a full-car wrap and ceramic. I did a front-end ppf on a Boxster before but that's about it. And by "did", I mean paid someone to do it.

So next week my newphew's company is wrapping Nameless in a 3M series 2080 matte blue metallic, and then the following week I have an appointment at Q Car Care in Burlington, MA for front-end PPF and a ceramic coat on all the vinyl.

My question to the board: What should I watch out for? If things were to go wrong, what would they possibly be, and is there anything I can look out for or do to improve the odds of complete success? Thanks!

Are you planning on putting PPF on top of the vinyl? I have never done vinyl but I thought the PPF goes down first.
My understanding (please correct me if I'm missing something) is that the clear PPF on the front end is to protect the vinyl from the same stuff I'd be protecting just the paint from if there were no wrap. Why would I protect the paint with PPF and then protect the PPF with unprotected vinyl on top of it?

I thought the PPF went down first because it lasts much longer than vinyl. Looking online there is discussion for both ways. Also I guess it matters how long you want to keep the new color. If you aren't considering it permanent then maybe vinyl on top. Good luck either way. As long as your installers know the whole plan and you get full warranty on both I'm sure you will be good. Please post pics when done.

Reactions: lzolman
I thought the PPF went down first because it lasts much longer than vinyl. Looking online there is discussion for both ways. Also I guess it matters how long you want to keep the new color. If you aren't considering it permanent then maybe vinyl on top. Good luck either way. As long as your installers know the whole plan and you get full warranty on both I'm sure you will be good. Please post pics when done.
I'm considering it permanent for me, but if I end up selling the car for any reason, then the buyer will be able to choose between color as-is or just rip it all off and start over with a brand new blue paint job (well, modulo the front bumper paint chip I've already touched up LOL)