Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Incompatibility with Leviton Charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jkam

Mar 13, 2010
Had an electrician install a Leviton EVB45-3PT (208V/30A) charger in my business' parking lot. Went to test it out with my Tesla, and it didn't work. The charger was getting power, but the charger was not sending power to the car. Called the electrician back. He tested and tested and tested. He rebooted the whole system. Still didn't work. He call Leviton and apparently got a hold of a designer. The designer wasn't sure the charger was compatible with a Tesla. He said that they (Leviton) knew they were having problems with the RAV4 (batteries made by Tesla), but they never tested a Tesla.

Does that sound right to anyone out there? Is there some sort of protocol Tesla does differently that would cause incompatibility with a charger?

Odd, I thought Leviton made the unit that was sold specifically for the RAV4, hence it is a true 40A L2 station. But you are talking about a 30A station. Still makes no sense why it wouldn't work. Can anyone else confirm it works with a different vehicle? Have you used your J1772 adapter elsewhere to confirm it works?

I tried to start a thread to highlight which stations/EVSEs were confirmed to work or not with the MS, but it got moved to the Charging Infrastructure forum: Residential J1772 Stations

I know the SPX units have been reported to not work with the MS until a recent fix by SPX.

I know my J1772 adapter works because I've used it with other chargers. I tried to get my friend to bring his Leaf down to test the Leviton charger, but haven't got him here yet.

It just seems odd.

Interesting choice of ads that come up on this thread... :)
LevitonAd.JPG