Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For a high- or over-current event such as a cell or group of cells shorting, e.g. runaway ludicrous mode. Although it doesn't seem logical that you would want to drop the HV and lose power for the thermal cooling system which would be needed to safe a runaway pack.

Maybe the patent was put up as collateral for some financial instrument.

Since the cell fuses should limit the shorting risk, and the LV pyro cuts the 12V in an accident, then maybe this is just a throw-away patent that could be securitized and/or sold. It is all high tech and stuff, but lacks a credible application--so sell it off to fund development elsewhere...

Inconel Springs

Anybody have info on using it (in the contactor?) for springs.

Inconel at spring temper is good for corrosion resistance and temperatures up to about 700F. #1 temper up to 1000F.

Why would those properties come into play for contactor springs?

Well, Elon is said to do technical advisement for both companies, so I could imagine he would suggest technologies back and forth in meetings when people were pondering possible solutions to problems. Also, it would make sense for them to work together on negotiations for bulk aluminum purchases.

I'm not sure if it still is but I'm pretty sure the Tesla design team was actually working out of SpaceX headquarters for a while. Also if anybody is interested I've seen a documentary or maybe youtube video on Spacex where they show the rocket sintering, have to go search for it though.

Inconel electrical resistance is a bit under 140, aluminum is at 2.7 and copper at 1.68. I.e. inconel has 80x higher electrical resistance and would thus have 1600 times higher losses (i.e. heating).
If copper contractors waste only 10W while conducting those 1000A, inconel would burn with 16 kW.

And we would have another thread of missing power...

Yeah, pretty sure inconel is only used for a spring, it's not a good choice for contactor material, and the spring would not be 3d printed either. 3d printed inconel has pretty poor mechanical properties. Its very brittle and prone to fatigue due to it's porosity, even worse then cast inconel.

Inconel electrical resistance is a bit under 140, aluminum is at 2.7 and copper at 1.68. I.e. inconel has 80x higher electrical resistance and would thus have 1600 times higher losses (i.e. heating).
If copper contractors waste only 10W while conducting those 1000A, inconel would burn with 16 kW.

So you think they'd use the most common formulation...

Loss is proportional to resistance not to square of it.

If we talk about Inconel alloys there are many categories available such as Inconel 600, 625, 718, Monel and many more. Lets talk about one of these, say inconel 625. This is a great material with excellent corrosion and oxidation resistance quality.

Due to this unique property Inconel 625 is also recommended to be used in the aerospace and chemical industries.