Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inconsiderate EV owner yanks charger while car is being charged...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought about this awhile back.. It would be a pretty easy app. The "requester" could punch in some serial number of the charger or better yet, scan it. The charger company knows the profile of the person/car sitting in that charger and can push an app notification to the "charger user". The charger-user could decide within the app if it's okay to disconnect. The charger company could then push an app message to the requester with the result.

Kind of surprised this isn't available yet?
Quit thinking so logically... This is supposed to be an emotional thread!;)

• Funny
Reactions: DOCAL
I have a customer here in VA who posts the rules and charging is done via Security and a Text message system. They had to double the amount of chargers on site to balance things out and clam things down. Everyone posted there cell numbers in the cars. it was part of the tread linked above.

I bought some stuff from Evannex and they sent me a charging placard to post on my rearview mirror. the one side basically says "hey I need to charge don't unplug my car in red. the other side says "This is an opportunity charge take the cord if you need to charge in green"
I like it and will use it. here is a link to the placard.

Charging Hang Tag / Courtesy Notice Bundle
Nice. Thanks for this. I need these because I've been on the receiving end of a rude note from a Plug-in Hybrid vehicle for "idling" on the charging space when I had just plugged about 45mins - and the Model 3 has a blinking indicator light beside the charge port indicating "charging" (blinking green "T") This could help calm everyone down and be more courteous EV drivers.

Reactions: Evoforce
Yes, but the car is taking a charge that the business owner provides. The point is you are interrupting a transaction you are not currently a part of.

My point is that "touched my car" is not a legitimate reason to be angry when a person only touches a charge cord to remove it. I am not saying there can't be other reasons to be concerned or upset or frustrated. Also, the OP stated that they have a valet that tends to their cars. What if they were the scoundrels or gave the "OK" thinking that the Tesla was "fully" or had "enough" charge? What if the purp was the Valet and he did it with a charge cord in the parking lot. Another mystery solved...

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: MIT_S60 and SummitX
I thought about this awhile back.. It would be a pretty easy app. The "requester" could punch in some serial number of the charger or better yet, scan it. The charger company knows the profile of the person/car sitting in that charger and can push an app notification to the "charger user". The charger-user could decide within the app if it's okay to disconnect. The charger company could then push an app message to the requester with the result.

Is, but not used. SuperchargerQR on the App Store
PlugShare has the distribution to be the message routing tool but it requires the first person files a Check In with the app and the second driver needs to check the app. I try to do that whenever I am not using a Supercharger.

I had plugged in my car (at a charge station at my workplace) this a.m. and about 45 mins later I get a notification that the charging has been interrupted. I go to check on my car after about an hour and notice that the charger has been yanked out of my car and is being used to charge another EV in the spot next to mine. The charge port adaptor was still inserted in my car's open port.
I was very annoyed with the owner of the car and left a note letting them know that it is inconsiderate and harmful to remove the charger when a car is being charged and that they should ask the valet (we have a valet service at my workplace) to let them know when a station is available.

Have any other owners faced this situation and any tips on how to prevent this from happening/how have you addressed this situation? Also any harm to the car/battery if the proper process is not followed?
I'd like to know what you did. Did you unplug him and plug yours back in?

Also what is the incorrect procedure here? The only thing that happens without you being at the car is the adapter gets stuck in the port but I accidentally do that all the time. There is no concern there I am aware of.

Slightly off topic, but when the chargers are all occupied I leave my adapter in the car so that the person in the stall beside me can plug my car in when they are done (if I am in a stall near enough for the cable to reach my car). My concern is if this will damage the charge port door as it keeps trying to close without success?

• Informative
Reactions: MIT_S60
Nice. Thanks for this. I need these because I've been on the receiving end of a rude note from a Plug-in Hybrid vehicle for "idling" on the charging space when I had just plugged about 45mins - and the Model 3 has a blinking indicator light beside the charge port indicating "charging" (blinking green "T") This could help calm everyone down and be more courteous EV drivers.
The blinking T next to the Model 3 charge port only happens when charging is initiated, just like the Model S and X charge ports blink green when charging starts. There’s no difference in behavior of the lights in Model 3 vs. S and X.

There was an ambitious app called ChargeBump which would allow you to contact other EV owners using their tag number. It really didn't go anywhere because PlugShare took off and allows users to contact each other.

The blinking T next to the Model 3 charge port only happens when charging is initiated, just like the Model S and X charge ports blink green when charging starts. There’s no difference in behavior of the lights in Model 3 vs. S and X.
Because most of us do not public charge to reach our 80% nor do we reduce the set point before we start the session, we won’t reach solid green status. Having the constant blinking green won’t alleviate inconsiderate unplugging IMO. People who know about Teslas will have to interpret the blink rate for themselves, but more likely than not, the “I need it more than you” mindset will still win out because they know our capacity is higher and assume we can make it home/wherever and that we are only “convenience” charging.
Never had my car unplugged... yet, but will be PO’d when it eventually happens.

And also just for the record, I wasn't "topping off" I simply needed an extra hour to get 30 miles as I was down to 25 miles left. I could've reached a supercharging spot but the space happen to be in a grocery where I could do some shopping and go on my merry way. I just wish we'd all have the courtesy to be considerate EV drivers regardless of the cars we have - My fear is that new EV drivers who have no previous experience with EV charging will have a hard time adjusting to this lifestyle of courtesy and minding others. I know I mind the green light on the VOLTS or BOLT and the LEAF's and the BMW i3 and leave notes if I must unplug them (which I've only done once on a recent road trip and the VOLT was full as indicated by the solid green light on its dash). so these nifty hangtags can hopefully educate and spread kindness to the rest of the EV drivers out there.

Am I the only one here that would have a "discussion" with buddy when he came back to his car?
No, you're not. I would have been the "ignorant" person to take the charge cable out of their car and sit in my car until the charge completed (or until the other person to came back). Needless to say, there would have been words to exchange.

My point is that "touched my car" is not a legitimate reason to be angry when a person only touches a charge cord to remove it.

I think that's splitting hairs.

If I'm gassing up my big RV with my 100 gallon fuel tank at the pump, and somebody with a little econobox doesn't wait 10 minutes because his car will only take 90 seconds, I don't think that saying "I only grabbed the fuel hose from his tank in the middle of his fill-up session, but I didn't touch his RV!" is a distinction that's gonna matter to most people.

I know when I was unplugged at a hotel while in the midst of charging so somebody else could take the charge they felt they needed more, the technical fact that they only touched the J1772 handle was besides the point... the "infraction" was the entitled attitude that they felt more entitled than I did, and presumed to take something that was not yet "failry relinquished" to them, regardless of what difficulties that would cause me.

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
<--Putting on flameproof suit. Polish your Dislike buttons!

The core problem is public EV charging stalls are used for 3 purposes:

1) Parking.
2) Getting something for free.
3) Charging to continue traveling.

In that order. Proof? Ever see a crowded charger at the back of a lot that you must pay for? Pretty damn rare. Ever see an empty EV charger stall at the front door of Whole Foods? Again, another Bigfoot sighting.

Free charging and EV chargers in packed parking lots are the bane of remote EV charging.
They encourage people to be aholes. Much like young healthy folk using handicap parking emblems to park closer to the gym, it was a system that was ripe for abuse from the onset. Nobody considered human behavior beforehand.

EV charging spots are NOT parking stalls. Get that completely out of your mind. Entirely. If you don't need a charge, don't park there. It's not your damn house. It's not your property. It is not a human rights issue to park your car. IT'S A FREAKIN' EV GAS PUMP. Get the charge you need and leave the minute it's done. Do you take your car to a gas station to just to park at the pump, or do you park near the mini-mart if you are not fueling? Although you will wait an hour in line at Costco to save $1 on a fillup. Yes, I know that its very cool to collect a dollar of free stuff, but damn, have you no pride?

Remember you're supposed to saving the Rain Forests of the Sahara, so act accordingly.

Last edited:
Reactions: brkaus and scaesare
Sidebar, some of my family lives in Issaquah which is right next to Microsoft. Any EV with 80 miles of range can hit virtually all of Seattle and the surrounding areas without remote charging. Round-trip. Everett might be a struggle an early Fiat 500e, but even SEATAC is in range.

Not saying the OP was parking or trying get a free buck of 240, but I would not be surprised. ie- Reason 1 or 2, not 3.
If they worked at MS, they were probably fully charged in 45 minutes.