Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inconsiderate EV owner yanks charger while car is being charged...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many times has some person removed a charger and caused damage? Talk about a nothing burger.

Causing damage creates liability. Wow, how profound. But it's irrelevant to the point.

It's absolutely relevant to the point. If you understand cause and effect, NOT unplugging the vehicle would have led to a different outcome than unplugging it did.

• Funny
Reactions: Plug Life
There’s quite a bit of tesla elitism creeping into this thread, and in fact ignorance on the part of tesla owners regarding shared charging.

I'm not sure I see anything I'd lay at the feet of specifically of being the owner of a Tesla.

Moving charge cables happens all the time, it’s how EV charging is supposed to happen, and it’s explicitly part of a workplace charging solution.

Perhaps some, but not necessarily all. At my workplace there is no explicit arrangement for moving charge cables from cars they are currently plugged in to.

It's assumptions such as this that lead to some of the issues, IMO.

Fair, but I’d challenge the magnitude of ‘a number’. Let’s not base a collective opinion based on the actions of an extreme minority.

I assigned no weight to the portion of folks with that stance. But given that the community here is a fraction of EV ownership at large, it's likely representative of a decently large number of EV owners as a whole.

As a matter of fact, given that the person who seeks out and participates on forums is likely to be more "enlightened" on the views of the community a whole, it may be that the percentage of folks unaware of EV charging etiquette is greater than the representative sample of such folks here.

There’s quite a bit of tesla elitism creeping into this thread, and in fact ignorance on the part of tesla owners regarding shared charging. Moving charge cables happens all the time, it’s how EV charging is supposed to happen, and it’s explicitly part of a workplace charging solution.

Threads from Leaf and Volt forums indicate that this has nothing to do with Tesla elitism and that there really is no universal agreement that it is OK to move a charging cable from someone else's car:
Hybrid plug in owners keep unplugging me - My Nissan Leaf Forum
Unplugging a volt from public chargers. [Archive] - GM-Volt: Chevy Volt Forum
Different companies are likely to have different different arrangements as regards charging etiquette but I would imagine that someone unplugging the CEO's EV and leaving him without enough charge to get to the airport on time would probably end up looking for a new job.

Threads from Leaf and Volt forums indicate that this has nothing to do with Tesla elitism and that there really is no universal agreement that it is OK to move a charging cable from someone else's car:
Hybrid plug in owners keep unplugging me - My Nissan Leaf Forum
Unplugging a volt from public chargers. [Archive] - GM-Volt: Chevy Volt Forum
Different companies are likely to have different different arrangements as regards charging etiquette but I would imagine that someone unplugging the CEO's EV and leaving him without enough charge to get to the airport on time would probably end up looking for a new job.

Yes, it is an EV owner issue, not a specific brand of car. Understanding the 'gas station in the parking lot' concept goes a long way.

If free charging is eliminated, and say EV charging is $1/hr in a free-to-park lot, and $2/hr extra in pay-to-park lot it would go a long way to mitigating the problem.

UCSB has EV charging, but they are seldom used. It's not a prime parking spot, and it costs a more to park per hr in the EV charging spots.

If you are in a jurisdiction that tickets/tows for parking in a charging space without charging, if a third party unplugs your car and you incur a fine (or worse a tow fee), is the action of the third party "perfectly legal?"

That sounds like an issue with ambiguity in the municipal ordinance but would pose an issue in a strict liability statute. So it depends.

If you are in a jurisdiction that tickets/tows for parking in a charging space without charging, if a third party unplugs your car and you incur a fine (or worse a tow fee), is the action of the third party "perfectly legal?"
I have pondered this same question. My city had free EV charging in all of their city owned lots. There is specific language stating that cars will be cited and/or towed if parked without charging (making it legal for them to actually do so). The problem lies in that there were two stalls for every charger. Therefore, technically, only one car can be parked in either spot, leaving the other vacant, though that was never the case. I always wondered if I could get cited if someone unplugged me. Regardless, that would be my argument for getting out of a citation. This is all pretty moot now here, as they upgraded all the chargers, doubling the cables. They also started charging a small fee so that only those who truly need charging will take advantage of the prime spots.

Causing damage creates liability. Wow, how profound. But it's irrelevant to the point.

Given that I introduced this concept to the thread, what you dismiss as "irrelevant" is the point. You, along with others, have fallaciously argued the Straw Man that is the act.

Remember, I can swing a baseball bat at another car's windshield just as legally as someone can disconnect my Tesla from a charging source.

Regardless of what they post, many want only the parking spot. The charging has no effect, but is a necessary hassle to get the spot.
This is probably one of the biggest problems, any charging stations I've seen (which is VERY few, they simply don't exist around here) are in "premium spots" close to the door. I would much rather see charging spots in the far reaches of parking lots. I always park away from everyone else, the further the better, less chance of my car getting dinged and I get a few more steps in for the day.

This is probably one of the biggest problems, any charging stations I've seen (which is VERY few, they simply don't exist around here) are in "premium spots" close to the door. I would much rather see charging spots in the far reaches of parking lots. I always park away from everyone else, the further the better, less chance of my car getting dinged and I get a few more steps in for the day.
Thats funny because it seems further I park away from parking spots its seems more likely someone park close to me. I even witness saw this guy jump back in his truck just to park next to my s. :confused:

• Funny
Reactions: croman
Most of us would like to see charging spots further from the door - in my case, mostly to help public perception of 'EV owners feel entitled'. Unfortunately, the cheapest places to run cables are usually near buildings. Running all the necessary wiring to a spot further away typically drives up the installation costs substantially.

Most of us would like to see charging spots further from the door - in my case, mostly to help public perception of 'EV owners feel entitled'. Unfortunately, the cheapest places to run cables are usually near buildings. Running all the necessary wiring to a spot further away typically drives up the installation costs substantially.
Oh, I know why they are close, I just wish they weren't.

Thats funny because it seems further I park away from parking spots its seems more likely someone park close to me. I even witness saw this guy jump back in his truck just to park next to my s. :confused:
My theory is that parking next to the most expensive car is better than parking next to a space with nobody in it. You know the nice car won't ding you, whereas any beater might park next to you in an empty space. So yeah, if I see a Tesla, I park next to it.

You may be misunderstanding me. If there is no way to tell if a Tesla is charging then I get it. Leave it alone. My question is: How do you tell if it’s done charging. Obviously no one would mind if someone unplugged their car if it was fully charged.
Click the button to release the charger and then reconnect / put it back. It will wake up the car. Look on the gauge cluster lcd. Will show you state of charge.

Keep this up and we’re either going to need a bigger molehill, or maybe a smaller mountain so that everyone can get a good seat.

I am reminded of a problem at one workplace with hybrids camping out in EV spaces all day so they could get their 11 miles of juice. After the usual amount of handwringing and poor behavior, policies and enforcement mechanisms evolved and there was no more of that. And I’d like to think that community communication improved but who knows.

Down the street, a parking garage that became available for theatre parking after 5pm has a row of a dozen chargers at the entrance. Nobody used these spaces to charge with rare exception - they just bogart the proximity. I laugh at every one of those door ding magnets as I traverse my way to the highest floor away from as much of my fellow man as possible. The opportunity there is ripe for enforcement of those spaces. *for charging only* but I doubt it’ll happen.

I patiently await the day when green spaces (so painted, striped and signed, as are the Whole Foods parking garage spaces in Redondo Beach) are given the same courtesy and respect as blue and red spaces and curbs.

Give people the opportunity to do the right thing, help them along with a placard in the window/on the dash, and if that fails, fine the bejesus out of them and tow a few.

For the original concern about someone unplugging a Tesla, the path of least resistance is a locking device and a placard. At least that’s how it seems to me.

Your mileages clearly vary. Carry on.