Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inconsistent air conditioning A/C performance with new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rjpjnk

Mar 12, 2021
NJ
Took my first long road trip today in my new Model Y (July 2021 build) and everything was great except the air conditioning.

It seemed inconsistent. Sometimes plenty cool, even too cold, and then 30 minutes later I find the car is hot and stuffy. When this happens there seems to be low air flow and the supply vent air temp is warmer, then after another 15 mis or so it starts cooling down again. This happened several times over the 250 mile trip. For the most part I just ran the system on Auto with temp set at 72F. I can't understand why there is such a large variation in temperature in the car. Doesn't seem right. Skies were overcast all day so was not related to sun heat load.

I have noticed this once or twice on previous drives as well.

I plan to contact Tesla but was wondering if any others have experienced this.

The Tesla AC has to cool the battery and cool the cabin. In warmer temperatures if the Tesla has to choose it will cool the battery first and then cool the cabin once the battery temperature is within an acceptable range. You can help keep the cabin cool by turning on the Recirculate Cabin Air setting during the warmest days or part of the day. Tinting the windows can also reduce the heat transfer from the sun into the cabin.

If no one is seated in the passenger seat the Tesla Model Y's HVAC will not automatically turn on the front passenger vent. You can turn this vent on manually by tapping the passenger vent area on the Tesla Climate Control Screen. The HVAC fan will put out more air when both the driver and front passenger vents are active.

Oh no! I hope this is not the explanation for what I am experiencing. It would be really disappointing to think the climate control is supposed to work like this.
Did you try:
1. Mode set to Auto
2. Recirculate set to On (lit up)
3. Rear vents on (lower right button, lit)
4. Temp set to Lo (adjust after reaching comfort level. I live in AZ and use 68 or 69).
5. Are you moving at least 30 MPH at least to start cooling? If not most ACs will have trouble since there is no airflow.

Reactions: Jayohee
Just to clarify, I don't notice the car has any problem cooling initially. It seems to reach the set temp (72-74) on Auto mode very well even in 90 degree heat. As good as any car I've driven. The problem is it doesn't stay at the set temp, but seems to turn off occasionally for 15 minutes or so and the cabin becomes noticeably warm fairly quickly, then it starts to cool again. When it is in the no-cool state no amount of adjustments I've tried can make it get cold again.

It really does seem like the AC has gone off to do something else (like cool the battery as jcanoe said), but I can't imagine the designers would be happy with just cutting out climate control like this. I am hoping it's a system defect that can be fixed. Maybe a temp sensor?

I have the same problem with my Y. I was told by Tesla there is a software bug that’s causing the issue when your temperature is set between 72-74 degrees. i have been using 71 and lower without issues .
I hope that helps
Wow! Seriously? a bug in that specific temp range? I will test this out today and see if 71 works long term. Can you forward any link to discussion of this SW bug please.

Reactions: KentheJ
Wow! Seriously? a bug in that specific temp range? I will test this out today and see if 71 works long term. Can you forward any link to discussion of this SW bug please.
I don’t have a link or something in writing. It was a conversation with the service advisor that I have known since 2014 when I got my first S . The last 2 weeks I kept the temperature out of that specific range and I had no issues at all .

Reactions: rjpjnk
I find that the temp remains more consistent around 70/71 if I keep the AC on Auto. If I use the manual setting, I experience the same situation as the OP.

Also, I have not had the TSP performed for the AC sensors. Not sure if this will matter or not, but I did call my SC and they will be performing the service next time I bring in my MY. Sounds like they are changing out the AC sensors on all MYs prior to a certain date. My VIN is 9xxx.

Reactions: rjpjnk
I’ve seen similar issue with my new model y (US East, took delivery on 7/27). When AC is set to 72F on auto, it switches between cooling and heating…
Yes! That's exactly it! It does actually feel like it might be alternating into heating mode.

We have the exact same problem. Good to know it's not just me. I picked mine up last week (7/22), VIN 228xxx.

If no one is seated in the passenger seat the Tesla Model Y's HVAC will not automatically turn on the front passenger vent. You can turn this vent on manually by tapping the passenger vent area on the Tesla Climate Control Screen. The HVAC fan will put out more air when both the driver and front passenger vents are active.
Took me half the summer to figure this out! Solved the warm cabin

This actually makes sense. If I leave the temp set to 72 when I get home then preconditioning feels like it is heating in the morning. I usually have the ac on 71 all the time so I never have an issue with cooling. Every glass piece is tinted on my Y so there is no challenge to cool the interior. 105 degree day and the ac is running maybe 3 on the blower speed in auto.

Reactions: beachmiles
Sorry guys, the information posted here is all wrong, this has been an issue with the Model Y since last year, there is lots of post on this issue if you searched for it, the info that guy above gave you about the Tesla has to decide that it needs the cooling for the battery while disabling the A/C is all wrong too.

And I like how that Service Advisor gave you that Lame Fix It all excuse that there is an Update that will fix it. This is what they always say to get you out of their face.

I had the same issue with the A/C and in San Diego being that it’s cooler it wasn’t an issue, the Issue came up when I hit 115 Degrees in Las Vegas last year. The only fix then was to do a 2 button re-boot and that would fix the A/C for a few minutes and then it would start to blow hot air again just like what the OP has stated.

We found here on this forum by experimenting that by setting the A/C to Manual and at 62 - 63 degrees with the Re-cycling air on, it would work, as soon as you put it on Low it would shut off and start to blow hot air again. A few of us here put that to the test. Then someone here actually called them out at the Service Center in Las Vegas when it was hot as hell and they finally did something and got it fixed, it took them 2 weeks to figure it out and as soon as that came out on here I went and submitted my service ticket and they installed the same component as this other person.

Since then I have been back to Las Vegas in 105 - 115 degree Temps many times and Drove 6478 miles across Arizona, Texas & Florida Key West this past May - June which were very hot days.

Not once did the A/C failed and it worked Perfect and kept the car at the exact temp I had it set too. In Florida, Texas and Arizona I would set the A/C from inside the hotel or restaurant so that it was ice cold when I came back.

Let me look for the invoice that shows the Parts that had to be replaced, on top of that they did the A/C or Heater Pump insulation cover retro-fit that didn’t come with the car, Plenty of post on that as well.

Hopefully will return with the invoice but If someone else has those parts please post them here. This was a nightmare of a problem that finally was resolved. May 2020 build.

Found it, this is what needs to be replaced to fix this problem. Fixed August 20th 2020.

6E1B2060-B44E-4CF7-B628-3FB1DCDDF60E.jpeg

Fred

Last edited: