Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inconsistent air conditioning A/C performance with new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do have a second SC appointment pending at a different location for this same issue, but it looks like they want to charge me this time. The app is asking me to accept a 100.00 estimate for labor.

Is it possible to actually talk to the techs and show them my pictures and documentation? Last time I didn't get to speak directly to anyone, only texting online via the app. They just tried the AC 3 times and found it worked each time and declared problem could not be reproduced.

It's intermittent! That's why I'm trying to help by documenting it ahead of time.

Is there anything else I should record to demonstrate the problem and best help them to find the cause?

I was thinking perhaps a second thermometer measuring outlet air temp from the vents.

This may be useful especially since I just discovered today that the updated iPhone app no longer shows red and blue air to indicate heating/cooling respectively. Now it's just plain white. So that info is gone. Glad I got some pics with the old app.
Tesla will assign a charge for the repair when you make the appointment. If Tesla determines that the repair is covered under the warranty then your credit card will not be charged.

At one time a mechanic would take a vehicle home, overnight, if they were unable to reproduce the issue at the service center.

It would be somewhat elaborate but you could set up a GoPro to record the thermometer as you drive. Eventually you would be able to capture the event on video.

[Years ago I drove a Saab 95. When the 95 was new, without any warning or changes made by me, the HVAC would start pumping out full heat to the rear seat vents. I must have taken my Saab 95 vehicle to be serviced four or five times, half a day each time. Usually I would remain in the waiting area while Saab attempted to repair this issue. Eventually the service department was able to identify, replace the faulty components and the problem never recurred after the final repair.]

P
I do have a second SC appointment pending at a different location for this same issue, but it looks like they want to charge me this time. The app is asking me to accept a 100.00 estimate for labor.

Is it possible to actually talk to the techs and show them my pictures and documentation? Last time I didn't get to speak directly to anyone, only texting online via the app. They just tried the AC 3 times and found it worked each time and declared problem could not be reproduced.

It's intermittent! That's why I'm trying to help by documenting it ahead of time.

Is there anything else I should record to demonstrate the problem and best help them to find the cause?

I was thinking perhaps a second thermometer measuring outlet air temp from the vents.

This may be useful especially since I just discovered today that the updated iPhone app no longer shows red and blue air to indicate heating/cooling respectively. Now it's just plain white. So that info is gone. Glad I got some pics with the old app.
Every time I make an appointment I receive an estimate for repair. I have never paid as it always closes out under warranty. I just accept each time and double check with my advisor at drop off.

Reactions: rjpjnk
Took my first long road trip today in my new Model Y (July 2021 build) and everything was great except the air conditioning.

It seemed inconsistent. Sometimes plenty cool, even too cold, and then 30 minutes later I find the car is hot and stuffy. When this happens there seems to be low air flow and the supply vent air temp is warmer, then after another 15 mis or so it starts cooling down again. This happened several times over the 250 mile trip. For the most part I just ran the system on Auto with temp set at 72F. I can't understand why there is such a large variation in temperature in the car. Doesn't seem right. Skies were overcast all day so was not related to sun heat load.

I have noticed this once or twice on previous drives as well.

I plan to contact Tesla but was wondering if any others have experienced this.
I live in south east Florida so heat is an issue. I leave the unit on auto at 69. The fan is very loud and air flow changes from warm to cold. Very inconsistent. Trying to hear the radio with the loud fan is a challenge.

Reactions: SDRick
rjpjnk: For sure, an in-person visit is necessary, and a conversation with a service advisor AND a tech. Have your photos handy.

I've noticed that during "preconditioning" for Supercharging, and during Supercharging, the HVAC gets a bit wonky, starts heating the cabin a bit. I think it's the octovalve getting a bit confused, as it's juggling the various cooling/heating demands. Maybe it can be corrected by a software update, but it could also be a hardware issues. My experience hasn't been as extreme as yours, so no need for any SC involvement.

Reactions: rjpjnk
OP here. I am happy to report that SW 2021.36.5 seems to have fixed my climate control issues. For 3 days now it has worked very well. Hopefully this will continue. Well done Tesla.

I am looking at the same thermometer shown in the pics previously and now the temp reported by the Tesla app matches the measured temp. More importantly, it just feels good. I know it’s only been 3 days, but I have a good feeling about this.

Anyone else notice this?

OP here. I am happy to report that SW 2021.36.5 seems to have fixed my climate control issues. For 3 days now it has worked very well. Hopefully this will continue. Well done Tesla.

I am looking at the same thermometer shown in the pics previously and now the temp reported by the Tesla app matches the measured temp. More importantly, it just feels good. I know it’s only been 3 days, but I have a good feeling about this.

Anyone else notice this?
I’m on 36.5.1 and having issues with my AC on Model S refresh. Anything above 69 blowing hot air. I usually love 70 for most of my driving and right now if just feels hot and stuffy with 70 running, super strange.

We have a MYP 2022 build. Have not had it a month and on AC problem number 2. Requested service take it back in again. This time my wife and 6 year old had to drive back as cabin temps increased well over 105. Unacceptable. Last time they said they found it failed and ended up finding a loose harness.

I have noticed that the A/C is much stronger in AUTO and recycle air. Also, there seems to be two different A/C settings - one in park and the other when driving around. It may be a glitch but I have noticed the A/C change configuration when switching drive modes on some occasions.

Anyone else experience this?

I have noticed that the A/C is much stronger in AUTO and recycle air. Also, there seems to be two different A/C settings - one in park and the other when driving around. It may be a glitch but I have noticed the A/C change configuration when switching drive modes on some occasions.

Anyone else experience this?
if you have an Easy Entry driver profile set up when you unbuckle your seat belt the vehicle profile will change to the Easy Entry profile. The Tesla Model Y may use the previous HVAC settings for the Easy Entry profile.

It could also be a software bug. Many times the cabin temperature setting in my Model Y will change back to the previous set temperature on its own the next time I drive after I have set a higher or lower temperature.

• Informative
Reactions: bobbyjae
The profiles are whack. I found that 50% of the time, when I turn on camp mode, when I turn it off, it switches profile to the first profile in the list, regardless of which profile was active. It drives me nuts. At first I thought it only happened if it accidently chose the wife's profile when I entered the car, but now I found it seems to always happen quite frequently even if it chose my profile..

Reactions: bobbyjae
if you have an Easy Entry driver profile set up when you unbuckle your seat belt the vehicle profile will change to the Easy Entry profile. The Tesla Model Y may use the previous HVAC settings for the Easy Entry profile.

It could also be a software bug. Many times the cabin temperature setting in my Model Y will change back to the previous set temperature on its own the next time I drive after I have set a higher or lower temperature.
Yes! This is what happens sometimes. I think it has to do with the profiles but the settings change.

Hi all OP here. After 1 year of careful monitoring the situation I can only conclude that Tesla climate control just plain sucks.

At least in my car.

Despite having numerous temperature and humidity sensors it cannot seem to keep a reasonably constant interior temperature, and often varies by more than 10 deg F from set point. I have had it looked at by Tesla Service twice. I showed them pictures of the car set for 80 F while the interior temp measures 71 and the AC is still blowing 40 degree freezing air out the vents. I had this exact situation up and running when mobile service showed up one day. They say nothing can be done for it.

Fortunately I love the rest of the car.

Hi all OP here. After 1 year of careful monitoring the situation I can only conclude that Tesla climate control just plain sucks.

At least in my car.

Despite having numerous temperature and humidity sensors it cannot seem to keep a reasonably constant interior temperature, and often varies by more than 10 deg F from set point. I have had it looked at by Tesla Service twice. I showed them pictures of the car set for 80 F while the interior temp measures 71 and the AC is still blowing 40 degree freezing air out the vents. I had this exact situation up and running when mobile service showed up one day. They say nothing can be done for it.

Fortunately I love the rest of the car.
You know that car has many windows and those windows create areas with higher/lower temperatures than other areas in the cabin due to more heat loss/gain. So, it is meaningless to compare the set/target temperature with the actual measured temperature because various different areas in the cabin will register different temperature in ANY car.
The main function of the vehicle Heat/AC is to make the occupants comfortable while traveling in the car, not to match exact temperature with the set/target temperature with the cabin temperature.
I set mine at 70 F with the fan speed at 4-5 during 95F+ and 60%+ humidity level (typical Virginia summer), and I feel very comfortable, nice and dry as well as my two kids who sit in the car seats in the back.
Also, if you don't have the windows tinted and/or don't have the glass roof sunshade, you will constantly feel heat in your head area no matter how hard your AC is working because the glass roof radiates a lot of heat.

You know that car has many windows and those windows create areas with higher/lower temperatures than other areas in the cabin due to more heat loss/gain. So, it is meaningless to compare the set/target temperature with the actual measured temperature because various different areas in the cabin will register different temperature in ANY car.
The main function of the vehicle Heat/AC is to make the occupants comfortable while traveling in the car, not to match exact temperature with the set/target temperature with the cabin temperature.
I set mine at 70 F with the fan speed at 4-5 during 95F+ and 60%+ humidity level (typical Virginia summer), and I feel very comfortable, nice and dry as well as my two kids who sit in the car seats in the back.
Also, if you don't have the windows tinted and/or don't have the glass roof sunshade, you will constantly feel heat in your head area no matter how hard your AC is working because the glass roof radiates a lot of heat.
All, I am talking about serious issues as in the car does not cool at all. Cabin gets unsafe hot and fans will not stop after you park in garage. They ran for almost 4 hours even with cabin over heat protection off. It did stop once I plugged it in. It failed tests after I dropped it off again today. The service center has been great and said they are surprised to see this in a 2022 MYP build. See pics of temps two separate times when car glitched.

Attachments

• 9A483A3C-73DB-44DC-89C0-5A39DE95D35F.jpeg
    9A483A3C-73DB-44DC-89C0-5A39DE95D35F.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 75
  • 62759B09-4BBF-4253-AFA3-F80B6DED9BEB.jpeg
    62759B09-4BBF-4253-AFA3-F80B6DED9BEB.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: nate704
All, I am talking about serious issues as in the car does not cool at all. Cabin gets unsafe hot and fans will not stop after you park in garage. They ran for almost 4 hours even with cabin over heat protection off. It did stop once I plugged it in. It failed tests after I dropped it off again today. The service center has been great and said they are surprised to see this in a 2022 MYP build. See pics of temps two separate times when car glitched.
And I will say they have us in a model x loaner. No air issues. Very comfortable temp wise.

I see now. There is some serious issues with the AC unit somewhere then.

Yes, I have also noticed that running in manual mode like that is sometimes better, but then we lose the automatic adjustment of parameters like fan speed, recirculate, air air distribution as heat load changes, which are typically are great to have. At least that has been my experience in other cars.

The system is plenty powerful, just not regulated well. The problem is more often excessive cooling, than a lack of it, but I do experience both at different times. I am using an opaque sun shade on the roof (Heatshield) in Summer and that definitely helps a lot.

But really, like I said, there is so much I love about this car I have just learned to accept the poor climate control. I like to keep the thread alive because I still have hope that if it gets enough attention Tesla might release a software update to fix it. I know they have made some progress.