Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inconsistent Data Connection Post MCU2 Upgrade- Hardware or Software Issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2016.5 MS 75 here. Got MCU2 3 weeks ago and immediately noticed spotty data connection with more frequent connection drops than I ever had before. Immediately after updating to 2021.4.15 Friday I had no data connection (grayed out bars with line through them) but was able to reconnect after rebooting. However, this weekend reboots didn't help and I spent most of the weekend with no connection. This morning I have a connection?

About to go on 2,000 mile trip and don't like losing connection so frequently and for such long periods of time. Have service appt scheduled but not sure what they'll do.

Loose antenna connection or bad software or something else?

I'd like to provide a positive update to my issues but I can't. A ranger came out today with a new board he promptly installed before realizing it was an MCU1 board rather than MCU2. I'm now scheduled for a new MCU2 board install next week with a 2,000 mile vacation trip in between with spotty connections. I understand I can use a hotspot to replace the cell connection, I hope that is true.

Hi @Greg29 , I'm wondering how your data connectivity issue worked out. I've been having intermittent issues also, and it seems to be associated with software updates. I can't remember which update brought on my first problem back in January, but it healed itself in a few days. Today I lost cell data connectivity again after installing 2021.4.15.10 (wi-fi and bluetooth work fine; hard reboot did not resurrect cellular data connectivity). What did Tesla end up doing for you? Did it work?

Reactions: fc12
Hi @Greg29 , I'm wondering how your data connectivity issue worked out. I've been having intermittent issues also, and it seems to be associated with software updates. I can't remember which update brought on my first problem back in January, but it healed itself in a few days. Today I lost cell data connectivity again after installing 2021.4.15.10 (wi-fi and bluetooth work fine; hard reboot did not resurrect cellular data connectivity). What did Tesla end up doing for you? Did it work?
Tesla ended up replacing the connectivity card part # 1521914-s2-b several weeks ago and I've not had a problem since. I assume this card was installed with my MCU2 upgrade but I don't know for sure. Tesla did not charge me for it.

• Informative
Reactions: beatle and Enginerd
I just had my 1521914-S2-B connectivity card replaced under warranty at the service center today. They confirmed a bad solder connection had made it unreliable. All good with the new one... it's nice when everything works like it's supposed to.