Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inconsistent heating of steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
My car is a Model S P85D that was delivered in January 2005. I have the winter kit of heated steering wheel, back seats and wipers.

I manually pre-heat my car in the mornings and before I drive home after work. Historically pre-heating the car did NOT turn on the heated steering wheel. However, this winter season it seems that my steering wheel is sometimes warm when I get to my car. But not always, only part of the time. Does anyone know if there are certain conditions why the wheel would pre-heat in some conditions, but not in others.

One other issue that I have is that occasionally my steering wheel does not heat up after I start driving (I keep the heat on for the steering wheel permanently from Nov-April). But if I go into the settings and toggle it on and off it will work. I am wondering if this is a bug unique to my car or if others see it as well.

I have the same car (but delivered 10 years after yours ). Mine works pretty consistently but it never gets that hot until I start actually driving it or unless I manually pre-heat. The leave-by scheduled charging never seems to get it hot. When it is hot, its almost too hot/uncomfortable (which I have heard from other people too).

I have the same car (but delivered 10 years after yours ). Mine works pretty consistently but it never gets that hot until I start actually driving it or unless I manually pre-heat. The leave-by scheduled charging never seems to get it hot. When it is hot, its almost too hot/uncomfortable (which I have heard from other people too).
I'm pretty sure the 2005 was a typo and his car is the same year as yours. :)

I have a 3, and when I preheat depending on the temperature outside and the temp I set it to, the windshield also comes on. Perhaps it functions the same way if it meets certain criteria it will automatically turn it on. Check the online manual and see if it’s on there.

Interesting....I have a 3 and the steering wheel consistently doesn't heat up....oh wait, that's because the 3 doesn't have a heated steering wheel....not that I'm bitter about that or anything :p

Still hoping it will eventually come as an option for the 3, as its pretty much the only reason I still like driving my wife's bolt. Having a heated steering wheel cannot be offset by the heater (which also doesn't blow/heat as well as the bolt, presumably because its 'tuned' for better efficiency?).

Ok, rant over...sorry for attempting to hijack the thread :oops: