Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

inconsistent performances

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a P90DL since last April 2016

after 30.000 kms driven I came to the conclusion that my expensive Tesla is a car with real world performances absolutely below to what Tesla is claiming.

Though angry I do not want to be harsh, the main aim of this thread is to make some light on what Tesla is not saying and maybe to avoid other people to make the same mistake I did.

as per thread title, this car is sold from Tesla claiming perfromances, both speed and acceleration, absolutely not realistic and really far from what an old ICE car can provide - at least based on the way we have been used to consider spec data until today.

let's talk about maximal speed, I live in Europe and sometimes drive in Germany, yes with a P90DL you can reach the advertised 250 kmh in rather a short time frame - but then?
after a bounch of seconds battery overheats resulting in power cut and speed loss
did you ever experienced such a problem on an ICE car?
have you ever read on Tesla's web site that the maximal speed can be maintained for 'x' seconds just?

another significant limitation : cruise speed vs range
If you are driving a Tesla, a huge horse power and speed supercar who can burn any car @ a stop light sprint,
please also consider that when driving on motorways you will have to behave like driving a small sub 8.000$ city car.
if you go faster than normal speed, in Europe 130 kmh, (for instance when you are on a German Autobahn), your car's battery will last no more than some tens of kms.
also this limitation is well hidden on Tesla's web site where the range vs speed simulation is limited to 120 kmh !
I do not need to add that with a Diesel car you can drive @ 200kmh for many hundreds of kms. without refuel.

last nonsense : shoud you encounter the Porsche driver who likes to check his car performances vs fantastic Tesla, then take care - you have limited time and a small number of sprints available under your right foot.
after 3 stop light sprints or 2 (german) motorway accelerations from 100 to 200 kmh your Tesla will no doubt overheat resulting in power cut and end of the fun.
(do not worry, no problems for the Porsche)

have you ever read about this on Tesla web site?
did Tesla sales men ever warned you about this limitations, may be asking you about your drive habits?

I consider to have been chated by Tesla, a company who is playing much the game of 'let's promise much more than real, we really do not care about what this could bring us'
For sure they have very good lawyers ready to react and defend the company.

yes, I am angry and I would like to give back my model S without losing any money!

OP, maybe you can link us to official statements from other manufactures which detail the limits of their cars?

For example, it is impossible to carry an adult bicycle safely in the 911's boot. Where is this stated?

Yep, that's why you see posts like this in German forums and discussion about Tesla.
208688255-w988-h741.jpg

Yep, that's why you see posts like this in German forums and discussion about Tesla.
208688255-w988-h741.jpg

Yes, for hystorical reasons the driving habits in Europe - expecially in Germany but also in Italy, are very differents than USA.
I can understand that my critics might not be fully understandable from a North American driver but I can assure you that for a central European driver it makes a hell of a difference.
Tesla can not ignore this.
On certain routes my average speed is half of what I was used to with my previous ICE car.
Again the point is that Tesla omit to inform us about the real world possible performance of their cars vs ICE cars - and there is such a huge difference @ medium to high speed driving conditions!

Buyer beware? Test drive before you buy?

It would be unusual for any car manufacturer to advertise what a car cannot do.

Are Germans now just realizing the excessive waste of energy / fuel required to sustain high speeds on autobahn? Gas or Diesel or Electrons.

EV consumption is more in-your-face.

Would a second gear or taller gearing ratio in the Tesla go a long ways towards stretching the battery on autobahns? Probably. It's doing this 250kmh with ONE fixed gear. OMG! Put a second gear in it. We can hope for a software fix OTA to add another gear in the future maybe.

Or slow down.

I agree with marcopone. The picture attached shows the effectcurve on my Tesla P85 with flat pedal for 11 seconds. The time you need to overtake two trucks. The effect begin optimistics with 304 KW (414 HP) and nearly after the book, but in the end of overtaking, I have only 168 KW (228 HP) left. In other words - I begin with a Tesla P85 and end up with my former Volvo XC60, 2.4 ltr. diesel turbo under the same overtake. I know that you shouldn´t overtake without good margins, but for some reasons I have not been used to that quite dramatic reduced effect when overtaking.

I asked Tesla Servicecenter to look closer to what I thought not was an expected behavior from a car. They had the car for one day in late 2016, tested it, and concluded with: "Confirmed customer complain. This power limit is set as a battery fuse limit. So this is the intended behavior and it is not an issue."

A fair way to deal with it from Tesla might have been to tell me when I bought it that "you have 414 HP the first second, 322 HP after 8 second and 228 HP after 11 seconds. Consider that when overtaking."

On the other side - my wife thinks it´s a good thing because I seldom overtake anymore.
Bilde tatt 27.01.17 kl. 20.44.jpg

A P100D doesn't really solve the problem (not much, anyway) - the Model S is not well suited to sustained high speed drives (not a problem in the USA, but a real problem elsewhere), nor is it a 'sport car', in that after one lap, maybe two, at a track, you'll be limited to Camry speeds. I knew this well when I bought the car, having come from the Roadster, and having done extensive research. Indeed, this is why I decided against the P100D - it does one trick the 90D doesn't, and while it'll impress the casual car admirer, car enthusiasts know better.

In this respect, the Model S is very unlike other cars, so it isn't surprising that many folks are disappointed (and Tesla does not go out of its way to advertise this shortcoming).

I do my part to educate - I think its a great car, but I want my friends who buy one to know exactly what they're getting.

Reactions: smsprague