Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inconsistent regen braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Model Y owner here.
I've noticed that sometimes my car coasts more and other times breaks pretty firmly when I lift off the accelerator.
Although I changed driving settings once, I didnt touch the braking settings.
But I've also noted differences on the same settings.

It seems dangerous to have the way your car breaks be inconsistent, no?

Ever since my first Tesla in the olden days (2014), I've thought they should just use the mechanical brakes to simulate regen when regen is not available. keep the foot off brake pedal slowing consistent. I'm sure the post is around here somewhere.

I'm not sure you'd want that. The interface required would be too complex, IMO. We're already seeing the folly (and danger) of FSD, because of the infinite number of scenarios with lane design, construction zones, etc. etc.

I'm not sure you'd want that. The interface required would be too complex, IMO. We're already seeing the folly (and danger) of FSD, because of the infinite number of scenarios with lane design, construction zones, etc. etc.
the interface wouldn't be impossible but would make the driving experience more consistent if it just applied the brakes slightly to always slow down by x/mph/ps, if it happened by all by regen then no brakes required, if it's not slowing down fast enough then add more brakes. Although i find this is only an issue when you first get a Tesla or are lending your Tesla to someone, if it's your daily driver you tend to just learn the behavior and react properly.

Casmium: I find the car exceptionally linear and smooth, using only one pedal regardless of the regen input. That's actually driving the car, not using any FSD nonsense or cruise control (clearly, I have an opinion on this! HAHA!!!)

Yes, I get the regen reduced message a lot during the winter.
That does dramatically affect how much regen you get when you release the accelerator.
Also discovered once that the regen menu setting got changed to low. Not sure if that was from a software update or not but took me a few days to discover that. Now back to Standard Regen.

Since it is cold, I do try to warm up the car for 20+ minutes before I want to leave (if I remember).
A warm car = a happy car + a happy driver + more regen capability

For those that aren't sure what dots people are talking about, I provide this (from last year's software):
Regen_braking_cold (2).JPG

Of course, with the new software version, the dots are smaller and harder to see.

Ok makes sense.
While it seems like a consistent driving experience might be desirable
understanding that the car will self break (sic) less at the start than when warmed up helps immensely!

I do see the braking reduced message sometimes,
but I haven't been able to map it to how the car feels.