Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inconsistent "Vehicle Hold" display indicator. What is going on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting inconsistent "vehicle hold" display indicators when the car is stopped and I press the brake pedal further to activate vehicle hold.

Some background: In the past, when I pressed the brake pedal to activate vehicle hold, I was getting the ((H)) indicator. If the car was in a slope and it had to activate vehicle hold automatically, I would get both the ((H)) indicator and a message saying "To Release Vehicle Hold Press Brake Pedal". That was great. Then, I had to leave the car in the service center (to replace some Airbag harness). During the repair they also did a software update to 17.14.23.

After I got the car back from service the behavior is different and inconsistent. Some times I will get just the ((H)) indicator, some times I will get both the ((H)) and the message, even on a flat surface. Also, it feels like how far I have press the brake pedal varies. Sometimes I have to press really deep to get the vehicle hold functionality and sometime just a bit.

Anyone else with similar issue? I am not sure if the issue is with the new software of if they did something during the service and changed the behavior.

IMG_1475_2.jpg

Mine seems to go on every time I put on the brakes. If I don't push hard, it takes a bit longer, but the H comes up. As soon as I press the go pedal (I never re-push the brake), it goes. Therefore, since it does it automatically, I never even think about it. I think that's the way it ought to be. And no messages, either. Hold happens every time I come to a stop. That's just what I want: No unauthorized rolling.

In my experience I get the message about hill hold when I actually stop on a hill. If it's a level road it just shows the H without the message.

That's the normal behavior. The car knows it's levelness/incline so there is a threshold the software is coded for to remind you how to disengage hill hold should you not want it on said slope, otherwise, no notification is popped up but the actions to disengage hill hold are the same regardless.

Jeff

Reactions: EVCarGUy
Hmmm...sometimes I get the message as well. And sometimes I see the word HOLD at the top while stopped on flat road with AP1 engaged. I haven't been able to figure out what triggers either of those conditions, as I'm in FL so there are only flat roads...

I don't know about the message, but I get the H indicator when I purposely push the brakes while stopped at a stop light. So it works on a consistent basis.

What isn't consistent is why does it now seem to do when I put the car into reverse while I'm at work? Where it doesn't go unless I first hit the brake, but I was holding the brake when I shifted into reverse.

I swear I'm losing my mind or the behavior has changed.

I'm going to try to pay more attention to see what's triggering it. I'm not holding the brakes especially hard or anything. Just enough to put it into reverse.

I have also noticed strange behavior of my "hill hold" feature lately. Several times in the past few months I have been sitting at a light, thinking I have it set, only to find myself drifting toward the car in front of me. At first I assumed it was just operator error, but this morning, sitting on an incline leaving our development, I had to try 5 times before it held. I wish I would have remembered to mention it when I just had MrT to the service center on Tuesday for the free tire rotation. I'm going to keep an eye on it. When they first downloaded the hill hold function it worked perfectly.

I am getting inconsistent "vehicle hold" display indicators when the car is stopped and I press the brake pedal further to activate vehicle hold.

Some background: In the past, when I pressed the brake pedal to activate vehicle hold, I was getting the ((H)) indicator. If the car was in a slope and it had to activate vehicle hold automatically, I would get both the ((H)) indicator and a message saying "To Release Vehicle Hold Press Brake Pedal". That was great. Then, I had to leave the car in the service center (to replace some Airbag harness). During the repair they also did a software update to 17.14.23.

After I got the car back from service the behavior is different and inconsistent. Some times I will get just the ((H)) indicator, some times I will get both the ((H)) and the message, even on a flat surface. Also, it feels like how far I have press the brake pedal varies. Sometimes I have to press really deep to get the vehicle hold functionality and sometime just a bit.

Anyone else with similar issue? I am not sure if the issue is with the new software of if they did something during the service and changed the behavior.

View attachment 223912

I think the message only appears when you are in reverse, which I see every day as I await my garage door to finish closing while car is still in reverse (or perhaps drive and no vehicle is detected in front of you if I recall).

I have also noticed strange behavior of my "hill hold" feature lately. Several times in the past few months I have been sitting at a light, thinking I have it set, only to find myself drifting toward the car in front of me. At first I assumed it was just operator error, but this morning, sitting on an incline leaving our development, I had to try 5 times before it held. I wish I would have remembered to mention it when I just had MrT to the service center on Tuesday for the free tire rotation. I'm going to keep an eye on it. When they first downloaded the hill hold function it worked perfectly.

I know from first hand experience that the first brake and hold engages the holding brake, but pressing the brake again disengages the holding brake. Pressing it a third time should re-engage the holding brake. This may explain what you encountered. Be careful, when not engaged your vehicle will roll downhill, whether it be forward or backwards.