Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inconsistent "Vehicle Hold" display indicator. What is going on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have also noticed strange behavior of my "hill hold" feature lately. Several times in the past few months I have been sitting at a light, thinking I have it set, only to find myself drifting toward the car in front of me. At first I assumed it was just operator error, but this morning, sitting on an incline leaving our development, I had to try 5 times before it held. I wish I would have remembered to mention it when I just had MrT to the service center on Tuesday for the free tire rotation. I'm going to keep an eye on it. When they first downloaded the hill hold function it worked perfectly.

I've not paid attention to the message at the bottom but I have established a difference in how/when auto hold engages depending on Creep being turned on or off. When Creep is on one must press the brake pedal pretty deep for auto hold to engage. When creep mode is off it engages with a relatively light application. It is possible even with creep off to come to a complete stop without auto hold engaging, but not under normal conditions.

The problem with Creep mode is finding that with creep engaged sometimes auto hold would not engage even on a hill, causing the old manual transmission roll-back effect. So disabled creep and only my wife had to get used to feathering the accelerator so as to not jump off the line, so to speak.

FWIW this is on 17.11.10, for whatever reason I never got the 17.14.23 update (MX 100D full opts).

A few days ago while on Autopilot (AP2) in stop and go traffic on a completely level road, I kept getting the extra message about releasing hold and I had to keep pushing the go pedal. I thought maybe it was Autopilot making sure I was paying attention, but now I think it was a bug.

AP 1 - 14 months in car. Noticing this and rolling backwards sometimes. The input I usually had to the pedal to activate seems to have changed. Obviously a software update caused it.

I am hoping for a bug as well. I don't even want to imagine the car being at the Service Center for another couple of weeks due to a hardware issue...

The other thing I noted to Service a couple of months ago, was a creaking when parking in my driveway. We have a slight incline, and I was noticing that when I backed in and left the vehicle, I would hear the brakes creaking a bit (off and on) for a few seconds at a time. They could not replicate... wonder if there is a connection to the recall, or to the software Hill Hold changes...

I know from first hand experience that the first brake and hold engages the holding brake, but pressing the brake again disengages the holding brake. Pressing it a third time should re-engage the holding brake. This may explain what you encountered. Be careful, when not engaged your vehicle will roll downhill, whether it be forward or backwards.

I found that when in reverse, I not only had to brake and hold to put the car into holding mode, but then also had to then release the brake pedal completely before the message would pop up. It may be similar in going forward situations as well when no obstructions are detected in front of the vehicle (e.g. objects, other cars, pedestrians, etc.)

The other thing I noted to Service a couple of months ago, was a creaking when parking in my driveway. We have a slight incline, and I was noticing that when I backed in and left the vehicle, I would hear the brakes creaking a bit (off and on) for a few seconds at a time. They could not replicate... wonder if there is a connection to the recall, or to the software Hill Hold changes...

I hear this too, but I suspect it has more to do with the car applying the full parking brake as I get out of the car (detecting the vehicle is in park AND I have vacated the drivers seat seems to cause it). I believe it is this application of the parking brake being applied that we are hearing.

I hear this too, but I suspect it has more to do with the car applying the full parking brake as I get out of the car (detecting the vehicle is in park AND I have vacated the drivers seat seems to cause it). I believe it is this application of the parking brake being applied that we are hearing.

Hope so! I only started hearing after about 9 months of ownership - but that might be a symptom of normal wear as well.

Hope so! I only started hearing after about 9 months of ownership - but that might be a symptom of normal wear as well.
Yep, every evening, as I step out of the car, I hear it too. I agree is is more pronounced now (having had the car for over 18 months) but not worrisome. It puts my mind as ease that the car isn't going to randomly roll out of the garage by accident on it's own.

Reactions: shonline
And yes i tested the press and hold message, and it seems to appear going forward or backward, but only when the gradiant is going in the directing of the the directing you are going, always downhill. Holding going for forward facing downhill and while in reverse when reversing downhill.