Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inconvenient delivery! [pickup location is over 300 miles away]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took a test drive at my local Tesla location (Rochester, NY area). Needless to say, it was every bit as good as expected. Following a chat with the sales guy, I was sent off to place my order online. When placing the order, I was shocked to see that delivery would be to Mt. Kisco, NY, about 325 miles away. I went back to the local store to tell them that their surely was some mistake. No mistake. I was told that this location was a “Gallery” and didn’t do deliveries. How is anyone supposed to know that?

How can a company charge over $1,100 for delivery and then drop it 325 miles away? A delivery company that did that would be out of business instantly. I know I can arrange for a car shipping service to bring it for about $700.

Has anyone ever received any satisfaction or relief from Tesla for this outrageous practice?

I took a test drive at my local Tesla location (Rochester, NY area). Needless to say, it was every bit as good as expected. Following a chat with the sales guy, I was sent off to place my order online. When placing the order, I was shocked to see that delivery would be to Mt. Kisco, NY, about 325 miles away. I went back to the local store to tell them that their surely was some mistake. No mistake. I was told that this location was a “Gallery” and didn’t do deliveries. How is anyone supposed to know that?

How can a company charge over $1,100 for delivery and then drop it 325 miles away? A delivery company that did that would be out of business instantly. I know I can arrange for a car shipping service to bring it for about $700.

Has anyone ever received any satisfaction or relief from Tesla for this outrageous practice?
I was lucky. I only had to drive 65 miles to another state because Tesla cannot sell in Wisconsin. Franchise laws.

They sell direct to reduce costs. If you already own one you understand what a great value it is. Unfortunately, they limit how many delivery locations they use to keep costs down and some people may be put off by that.

You can thank your federal government for that.

Destination charges - by law - need to be cost averaged across all deliveries in the country.

And no, it cannot be changed or waived. Again, that’s by law.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-tips/new-car-delivery-or-destination-charges-explained-213280

Reactions: rpiotro
Tesla used to offer home delivery for people X amount of mileage from a delivery center. I have no idea if thats available, but might be something to check into (see if they offer it, how much, etc). I personally would want to pick up in a delivery center, but I only had to drive about 60 miles to mine, in 2018. if I were buying right now, there is one in my city now so it would be like <10 miles.

As others say, depends on state law as well. Tesla not allowed in my state so I had to bum a ride with a friend to the nearest service center (~330 miles away) for pick up. I was going to fly but thankfully he was headed that way anyway.

Ask the "Gallery" about Home Delivery.