Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Incorrect auto-profile selected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any updates on this? I'm getting frustrated with the same issue. My wife's profile gets selected of she was the last to drive, even if she's nowhere near the car when I open it.
Yeah definitely worse. I was 300mi away from partners phone and it still selected her profile.

Sometimes it just stays on ‘Easy Entry’ too.

Tried re-pairing and re-assigning mobiles/profiles.

This was on the software release prior to ‘holiday release’. Haven’t verified on Holiday release onwards...

Any updates on this? I'm getting frustrated with the same issue. My wife's profile gets selected of she was the last to drive, even if she's nowhere near the car when I open it.
I have been on constant conversation with Tesla engineers over the past weeks. I sent them videos and links to many forums including this one and to be honest I feel like I’m pissing in the wind at times, although Tesla do keep replying and asking for more and more info. I think the main issue is my info is being passed from Tesla UK to the USA and they just can’t grasp that it’s a UK/RHS drive issue.

The upshot is they’ve booked my car in for service on the 12th. I’ve told them a million times they are wasting their time doing this because the problem is not with my car, it’s with all UK cars and I’ve given them steps to reproduce.

I have also reported an autopilot issue to them and sent them links to the forums below (there are many other identical forums). They are going to investigate that too (another RHS issue). I’ll post the findings as soon as I know more.

Lane change bug

Cruise control no longer safe

• Helpful
Reactions: CMc1
I fully agree and while it could be fixed on new builds by moving the Bluetooth antenna to the RHS mirror it'd be a nightmare to retrofit

The WiFi Antenna is in the RHS mirror, but I'm not sue that is true of the BT antenna, particularly as (if I recall) the car has multiple BT antennas so it can triangulate the phone positions accurately for lock/unlock purposes. So this bug might be a simple software fix.

• Informative
Reactions: m3gt2
The WiFi Antenna is in the RHS mirror, but I'm not sue that is true of the BT antenna, particularly as (if I recall) the car has multiple BT antennas so it can triangulate the phone positions accurately for lock/unlock purposes. So this bug might be a simple software fix.
I dont think this is relevant anymore. Mine swapped profiles 300+ miles away from other phone. (After several weeks of it working intermittently).

I feel it’s something going on in the background with the rumoured profile settings roaming as noted in the 2020.48 thread.

Appointment changed again to today.

Just back. Demonstrates to Tesla that whichever phone key presents to the left front door (in the uk that’s the passenger side) sets the car’s profile.

They agreed it was a software issue and added it to my notes for the “big” engineers to investigate further.

I’ve explained that if that means USA engineering they MUST get it into their heads that we drive on the opposite side to them!

So disappointing that after hundreds of messages back and forwards to Tesla, 2 service visits where this issue has clearly been seen and documented by Tesla, this bug still remains.

In fact it’s even worse than ever now because on 2021.4.* the profile saving function is totally broken.

The problem is simple and it’s obvious that it will never be fixed by Tesla. I’ve spent countless hours on this and even demonstrated the issue to Tesla at my home. It can be reproduced every time.

In the states and Europe the driver sits on the left and therefore the profile selects whoever is sitting in the left seat.

In the U.K. driver sits on the right but the person sitting in the left still sets the profile. Same as Australia and that’s why they report the same problem.

Trying the explain that to an American (Tesla) was like pulling teeth. I simply gave up in the end.

Reactions: Durzel and CMc1
The problem is simple and it’s obvious that it will never be fixed by Tesla. I’ve spent countless hours on this and even demonstrated the issue to Tesla at my home. It can be reproduced every time.

In the states and Europe the driver sits on the left and therefore the profile selects whoever is sitting in the left seat.

In the U.K. driver sits on the right but the person sitting in the left still sets the profile. Same as Australia and that’s why they report the same problem.

Trying the explain that to an American (Tesla) was like pulling teeth. I simply gave up in the end.
It’s also annoying that it doesn’t re-check so even if you put in park get out/in/camp mode etc for several hours it will still use the same profile/device it detected when it unlocked the car.

For example i dropped off my OH (incorrectly auto selected her profile first even though my phone several meters closer to car), then drove about 15 mi, put car in camp mode whilst jet washing car, got out of the car, back in, entered PIN, auto-selected her profile again… drove another 5 mi or so posted a letter (car didn’t auto lock due to being on roadside) back in, entered PIN, selected her profile again…. She’s now 20+ mi away with her phone.

For me I think it should detect profile at time of putting in successful PIN (prior to profile switch from Easy Entry) as this was several times where it could have corrected itself.

Reactions: Transformer