Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Incorrect auto-profile selected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s also annoying that it doesn’t re-check so even if you put in park get out/in/camp mode etc for several hours it will still use the same profile/device it detected when it unlocked the car.

For example i dropped off my OH (incorrectly auto selected her profile first even though my phone several meters closer to car), then drove about 15 mi, put car in camp mode whilst jet washing car, got out of the car, back in, entered PIN, auto-selected her profile again… drove another 5 mi or so posted a letter (car didn’t auto lock due to being on roadside) back in, entered PIN, selected her profile again…. She’s now 20+ mi away with her phone.

For me I think it should detect profile at time of putting in successful PIN (prior to profile switch from Easy Entry) as this was several times where it could have corrected itself.
It's clearly not detecting her phone 20 miles away. I can imagine how with different phone manufacturers the car can find it hard to tell who is in the drivers seat, but this must be a different issue.

If it was on your profile and changed surely you've got the phone->profile association set incorrectly under the Locks section of the car, or maybe have her profile set as easy entry.

It's clearly not detecting her phone 20 miles away. I can imagine how with different phone manufacturers the car can find it hard to tell who is in the drivers seat, but this must be a different issue.

If it was on your profile and changed surely you've got the phone->profile association set incorrectly under the Locks section of the car, or maybe have her profile set as easy entry.
There was no mentioning of detecting her device 20+ miles away… The scenario I talked about mentioned not rechecking for driver’s device when PIN to Drive was used, whilst the car remained unlocked and assuming the same device was present throughout the whole journey until the car locked / unlocked again.

(yes I’ve checked profile association to keys/devices - thanks…)

Another user here with the same issue. Setting priority device in Bluetooth does not work either, now I know that's only for infortainment purposes.

I'm the main driver and I've got a key fob, I might try if putting the keyfob in my pocket and other half walks to passenger door as normal resolves this issue, I know it's not ideal.

Please do experiment.

AFAICT the car randomly picks a profile between phone keys, even when the car is unlocked. It doesn't seem to detect the "phone closest to the driver's door" or have a "main driver."
Others have commented the Bluetooth receiver is in the passenger side wing mirror because of the US RHD and LHD driving flipped.

Is this still confirmed being the main culprit of the issue here?

So I mentioned this today to mobile service when they out for another issue and they said best way to highlight to over-the-pond was to make it fail and then use Bug Report voice command mentioning the RHD issue. Hopefully then if enough people do this it’ll pick up on trend along with captured logs to hopefully sort out

All very wishy-washy but worth a go. And to do every time hopefully they’ll get sick and fix.

I imagine it’ll become more of an issue when profile roaming is implemented and the passenger seat moves

I'm pretty sure this has now been resolved as that's 4 drives now that Ive started and the correct profile has been selected.

Not made any changes to our phone setups other than the car asking me to relink a profile to a key recently.

Software version 2022.12.3.2