Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Incorrect Speed Limits + Autopilot = Sad Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JRJ.org

Apr 13, 2019
Utah
New TM3 owner (LR AWD, white-on-white with 19's and FSD) here. Have had the car almost a week, and can't imagine going back to another vehicle.

I was sad to discover that I'm unable to use Autopilot (specifically, auto-steer) on my commute. The problem is that the two main roads I use (both are surface streets) are incorrect in whatever database Tesla is using for speed limits.

So speed limit is 45, for some bizarre reason the Tesla thinks it's 25, so the car won't allow you to increase the speed more than 10 over on this classification of road... and that's 10 under the actual posted limit. No way I can drive 10 under, it would be a cacophony of honking horns and angry commuters being unreasonably delayed.

Will file bug reports for the road, but shouldn't be necessary-- I drive past a dozen speed limit signs. Why isn't Tesla reading them instead of relying on a database?

I love this car, and it's an absolute joy to drive... but kind of a bummer to lose autopilot on my commute. Here's hoping they start reading speed limit signs in a future update. (On a positive note, I only commute one or two days a week, usually work from home.)

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
New TM3 owner (LR AWD, white-on-white with 19's and FSD) here. Have had the car almost a week, and can't imagine going back to another vehicle.

I was sad to discover that I'm unable to use Autopilot (specifically, auto-steer) on my commute. The problem is that the two main roads I use (both are surface streets) are incorrect in whatever database Tesla is using for speed limits.

So speed limit is 45, for some bizarre reason the Tesla thinks it's 25, so the car won't allow you to increase the speed more than 10 over on this classification of road... and that's 10 under the actual posted limit. No way I can drive 10 under, it would be a cacophony of honking horns and angry commuters being unreasonably delayed.

Will file bug reports for the road, but shouldn't be necessary-- I drive past a dozen speed limit signs. Why isn't Tesla reading them instead of relying on a database?

I love this car, and it's an absolute joy to drive... but kind of a bummer to lose autopilot on my commute. Here's hoping they start reading speed limit signs in a future update. (On a positive note, I only commute one or two days a week, usually work from home.)

I wonder if teslas will ever read speed limit signs with camera, I thought this was patented by mobile eye? But then Elon says that HD maps (granted not regular maps) is extremely bad idea for FSD, so I wonder what he has up his sleeves.

Also AP in it's current state is made for freeway and highway driving, 45mph does not sound like your using it on a highway, but it will probably get better in the future regardless. You should be able to use Auto Steer, and speed up by pressing the accelerator.

Some of Tesla's sources use openstreetmap.org in developing their maps. You could find the incorrect speed limit there and submit the change. It may percolate up into Tesla's database. A better routeplanner also uses open street map. They had a major segment of I-84 listed with an incorrect speed and I was able to submit an update to get better route plans.

Autopilot is explicitly not intended for use on surface streets.

Read the manual.

Road in front of my house is incorrect, been that way for a year. They don't seem to have any push to get it corrected.

Reading speed limit signs just ain't there yet.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
So why did they add traffic light detection? This isn't a helpful comment.

They didn't.

They added "Car might warn you if you're about to blow through a red light...or it might not"

Has nothing to do with autosteer though, and thus nothing to do with this actual thread.

I agree there's an unhelpful comment here- it's yours.

Some of Tesla's sources use openstreetmap.org in developing their maps. You could find the incorrect speed limit there and submit the change. It may percolate up into Tesla's database. A better routeplanner also uses open street map. They had a major segment of I-84 listed with an incorrect speed and I was able to submit an update to get better route plans.

I tried this on my longstanding speed limit issue. My road was correct in the openstreetmap database. So Tesla is getting the info from somewhere else. My wrong data has existed since early 2017 at least when I had my first AP2 loaner.

I have bug reported it for over a year at this point. No luck.

• Helpful
Reactions: Matan.Mazursky
They didn't.

They added "Car might warn you if you're about to blow through a red light...or it might not"

Has nothing to do with autosteer though, and thus nothing to do with this actual thread.

I agree there's an unhelpful comment here- it's yours.

Surface street or highway, bad speed limit information is annoying and/or dangerous, AP or not. Remember that Teslas display the speed limit, whether or not you are using AP. This can influence human drivers as well as AP.

My personal pet peeve is that it doesn't catch updated highway speeds, especially reduced speeds in "construction zone in name only" construction zones. So if you haven't seen a sign in a while, you might forget that the speed limit is now 55 or 60, rather than the 70 that the car is telling you about, and you might be in for an expensive ticket.

My experience suggests that the map set speed limit can be overridden when surrounding traffic is running faster. Also, it is my habit to do the TACC first and then enable Autosteer. But busting the +5 mph limit appears to be somewhat unpredictable with the exception of other traffic speeding away.

Bob Wilson

Reactions: Gabbleratchet7
My experience suggests that the map set speed limit can be overridden when surrounding traffic is running faster. Also, it is my habit to do the TACC first and then enable Autosteer. But busting the +5 mph limit appears to be somewhat unpredictable with the exception of other traffic speeding away.

Bob Wilson

This is another issue explained clearly and in detail in the owners manual that you steadfastly refuse to read.

On roads autosteer is actually intended to be used on, you can set the speed to anything you want up to 90 mph, regardless of speed limit.

On roads autosteer is NOT intended for use on but you use it anyway you are limited to 45 mph if it doesn't know the speed limit, or speed limit+5 mph max if it does have a speed limit in the database. In this situation you can use the accelerator to make the car exceed that speed and autosteer will remain on- but the car will not brake for slower objects ahead of you (you're effectively losing most use of TACC and emergency braking while doing this)

I had the same issue in few certain streets. I don’t know if I had anything to do with it, but I repeatedly filed but reports on this street for the last 6 months and it’s finally the correct speed limit. Oh but there are a few other streets that haven’t been changed yet. I do live in a community where it’s rapidly growing so streets or speed limits change periodically with the growth.

Reactions: electrictorque
Road in front of my house is incorrect, been that way for a year. They don't seem to have any push to get it corrected.

Reading speed limit signs just ain't there yet.
My previous EV, a BMW i3, was not nearly as advanced as my Model 3, but it’s front camera would read speed limit signs very accurately and update the speed limit displayed on the dash within a second or two of driving by such signs. Only exception to it’s superb ability to discern and read speed limit signs was in Oregon; where their signs are different than everywhere else I’ve seen such signs in the US. It couldn’t/wouldn’t read the signs in Oregon. Same goofy ass state that wouldn’t let you pump your own gas (i think they changed the law, but folks in Oregon were quite upset since most were clueless how to pump gas).