Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Incorrect Speed Limits + Autopilot = Sad Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My previous EV, a BMW i3, was not nearly as advanced as my Model 3, but it’s front camera would read speed limit signs very accurately and update the speed limit displayed on the dash within a second or two of driving by such signs. Only exception to it’s superb ability to discern and read speed limit signs was in Oregon; where their signs are different than everywhere else I’ve seen such signs in the US. It couldn’t/wouldn’t read the signs in Oregon. Same goofy ass state that wouldn’t let you pump your own gas (i think they changed the law, but folks in Oregon were quite upset since most were clueless how to pump gas).
Pretty sure that it didn't read the signs. It was part of the GPS system, like it is on so many GPSs. Tesla, for some reason, has just decided to use a database that it pretty bad.

The speed limits I believe can be fixed by making an update to openstreetmaps If you can tell me the streets and exact location, I can verify signs with google maps and make the update. People were using this to update the summon features and I just used it to fix some roads I use every day.

The speed limits I believe can be fixed by making an update to openstreetmaps If you can tell me the streets and exact location, I can verify signs with google maps and make the update. People were using this to update the summon features and I just used it to fix some roads I use every day.
Doesn't seem to be the case, especially since those maps are updated about twice a year.

Pretty sure that it didn't read the signs
I have read that some company has a patent on speed limit sign reading technology. Haven’t looked into it enough to know for sure, but that patent may be hindering Tesla’s ability to include speed limit sign reading into their software yet. I don’t have any proof of that, it’s just supposition at this point.

I have read that some company has a patent on speed limit sign reading technology. Haven’t looked into it enough to know for sure, but that patent may be hindering Tesla’s ability to include speed limit sign reading into their software yet. I don’t have any proof of that, it’s just supposition at this point.
Doubt it impacts Tesla. The older MCU1 used to read the signs. (yes, it used to work)

Doubt it impacts Tesla. The older MCU1 used to read the signs. (yes, it used to work)

Mobileye has that patent, which is why AP1 has that ability.

Just curious, how could a company patent speeds limit sign read? I get it if it's a specific piece of hardware/software patented, but Tesla should always be able to read the speed limit via image recognition. Can't imagine this approach in general can be patented.

The patent and trademark office is funded by patents it grants and not patents it rejects. It also has a well documented policy to leave it to the courts to sort out which patents are really valid or not. It's worse than sutpidity, it's policy (the stupidity was the law changing how the PTO was funded, and that is entirely attributable to politicians).

What I would expect in due course? For Tesla to have a few silly patents of its own, and to rather aggressively negotiate a mutual cross-licensing agreement with some other players.That is usually a lot less risky for other players than a trial that may invalidate their patents.

• Informative
Reactions: Jenremoved
We have a fairly technical discussion of false TACC speed zone changes (i.e., phantom braking) here:
Cruise control - Random braking and speed reductions... anyone else? - Tesla Owners Online
  • Includes 3d party dashcam video showing the problem.
  • A graphic showing how one lane can be impacted but not the other.
  • Pointer to YouTube video sent to Tesla reporting the problem.
The speed limits I believe can be fixed by making an update to openstreetmaps If you can tell me the streets and exact location, I can verify signs with google maps and make the update.
I just checked the 'openstbreetmaps' view of the problem area and it shows only a single path mapped at 50 mph. This suggests the Tesla GPS coordinates had wandered toward the 40 mph access road.

Bob Wilson

Last edited:
FWIW; there's a street I drive on to/from work where the speed limit in the car doesn't match the signs. (They dropped the limit a few years back, and of course set up speed traps often). Soon as you drive into this town, limit drops from 40 to 35.
I updated the street on Open Street Maps a week ago and it hasn't shown up in the car (yet?). There was NO speed limit data for this street in OSM before my edit.

I'm keeping an eye on it to see what happens, if anything.

FWIW; there's a street I drive on to/from work where the speed limit in the car doesn't match the signs. (They dropped the limit a few years back, and of course set up speed traps often). Soon as you drive into this town, limit drops from 40 to 35.
I updated the street on Open Street Maps a week ago and it hasn't shown up in the car (yet?). There was NO speed limit data for this street in OSM before my edit.

I'm keeping an eye on it to see what happens, if anything.

Speed limits only seem to update with map updates, which seem to occur twice a year.

There is a state highway near my home that is 55 mph, but there is a 2-mile stretch that my Tesla thinks it is 35 mph if you are heading west. It still knows that it is 55 mph if you are going east. I reported this to Tesla a year ago, and after a couple of weeks, I received a email response stating that they had confirmed the problem and that it would be corrected in the next couple of months. It has been over a year and it still has not been corrected.

What speed limit are Teslas going to use when they introduce Autonomous Driving? Will all of the Teslas slow down to 40 mph in this section of the road?