Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Incorrect Speed Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All-
I commute on a stretch of highway (I-94) in metro Detroit, where the actual speed limit is at least 55mph in all areas. For some reason, there are patches where Tesla thinks the speed limit is 35mph. The problem is that even though I have the settings to maintain the speed on an absolute basis (not the +/- setting relative to the speed limit), the cruise speed abruptly drops from, say 75mph. I don't let the vehicle slow down enough to find out what it is trying to reset to.

Clearly this is some safety mechanism because Tesla wouldn't want to allow the vehicle to travel 75mph in what it believes is 35mph zone.

My question is, how do I either override this setting, or how do I let Tesla know that this speed limit data is factually incorrect?

There are a lot of these little patches on my commute, but this one is the most dangerous, because if someone is following me at high speed they can (and almost have) slammed into my rear end.

Thanks Tesla Owners!

I’ve submitted dozens of bug reports for incorrect speed limits over the course of a year on one stretch of highway in my neck of the woods, and it still hasn’t been fixed. So I’m skeptical that it does any good.

I’ve also read threads where people claim that the speed limit data has to be fixed in Google Maps first and then it will trickle down into Tesla maps, but I haven’t found that to be true either. Every time I run into an incorrect speed limit in Tesla’s map, I check Google’s speed limit data to see if it’s wrong there too, and it rarely is.

Hi All-
I commute on a stretch of highway (I-94) in metro Detroit, where the actual speed limit is at least 55mph in all areas. For some reason, there are patches where Tesla thinks the speed limit is 35mph. The problem is that even though I have the settings to maintain the speed on an absolute basis (not the +/- setting relative to the speed limit), the cruise speed abruptly drops from, say 75mph. I don't let the vehicle slow down enough to find out what it is trying to reset to.

Clearly this is some safety mechanism because Tesla wouldn't want to allow the vehicle to travel 75mph in what it believes is 35mph zone.

My question is, how do I either override this setting, or how do I let Tesla know that this speed limit data is factually incorrect?

There are a lot of these little patches on my commute, but this one is the most dangerous, because if someone is following me at high speed they can (and almost have) slammed into my rear end.

Thanks Tesla Owners!
Another thing that folks have speculated about as a source of discrepancies like this is when a freeway and a surface street are so close (maybe even stacked) the the nav gets confused about which one you’re actually on. No idea whether that describes your situation.

Another thing that folks have speculated about as a source of discrepancies like this is when a freeway and a surface street are so close (maybe even stacked) the the nav gets confused about which one you’re actually on. No idea whether that describes your situation.
Yes, that could be the case... I will pay closer attention as the stretch I'm referring to may be a bridge. I'll at least do the 'report a bug' thing, maybe it will do some good. From a programming standpoint I could imagine an algorithm that takes into account most recent historical speed data (A) and anticipated future speed data within a safe expected distance (B) to determine yes/no this is continuous. Thus, the 'answer' between two conflicting speed limits should be (A) if A-B=0, and some linear acceleration (+ or -) if otherwise. Sorry, just nerding out for a second...

Yes, that could be the case... I will pay closer attention as the stretch I'm referring to may be a bridge. I'll at least do the 'report a bug' thing, maybe it will do some good. From a programming standpoint I could imagine an algorithm that takes into account most recent historical speed data (A) and anticipated future speed data within a safe expected distance (B) to determine yes/no this is continuous. Thus, the 'answer' between two conflicting speed limits should be (A) if A-B=0, and some linear acceleration (+ or -) if otherwise. Sorry, just nerding out for a second...
I totally get the nerdiness. I often design algorithms for Tesla too! :D

Correct it on OpenStreetMap It will not update right away but the theory is that Tesla uses a version of their info.

This is not true for routing; only for Smart Summon.

This is completely wrong from @DopeGhoti. Tesla’s mapping history is a complex one, but to cut a long story short, in around 2017 (much before Smart Summon anyway) Tesla adopted OpenStreetMaps as their baseline for routing, mapping and navigation. They use it for a wide variety of things, of which Smart Summon is only the latest example.

Google only provides visuals and address databases for Tesla. Tesla has never used them for navigation, before a OpenStreetMap based solution there was another provider for that in the early years, which actually was very visible in a quite separate-looking app on the IC.

Last edited:
OpenStreetMap has the right speed limits in area's where the Tesla navigation will indicate the wrong ones, which are actually the limits from some years ago. Just seems like they use some very outdated data while the correct one's are widely available. It actually makes autopilot unusable in some roads because randomly Tesla forces the (wrong) limits +5 in areas.

OpenStreetMap has the right speed limits in area's where the Tesla navigation will indicate the wrong ones, which are actually the limits from some years ago. Just seems like they use some very outdated data while the correct one's are widely available. It actually makes autopilot unusable in some roads because randomly Tesla forces the (wrong) limits +5 in areas.

This is of course true. Even though Tesla uses OpenStreetMap as a data source, does not mean they use it real-time. Their mapping and navigation setup is a more complex one with variety of open source and custom pieces.

There's no way to help fix this. I wish they had an option to disable it. It's the biggest problem with AutoSteer for me right now. Also if the speed limits are correct, the GPS might be in the ramp, and suddenly reduce the speed to that.

If you do a bug report, you have to follow up with Tesla as the logs are only saved in the car for about 2 weeks. Bug reports stay local to the car, they don’t automatically get uploaded as far as I can tell. (I turned in bug reports about a wrong speed limit for close to a year with no result).

I found a better way... I read this post last night. I have the same problem on a stretch of rural road in South Carolina. I submitted a speed limit change to Google Maps and also OpenStreetMap. Then I remembered the SC DOT online customer repair request website (for potholes, missing signs, etc). So I posted a request for a speed limit sign at the point where my Model 3 slows from 55mph to 45mph (that's what my Tesla thinks). This evening at about 5 PM, I drove the same route and voila - a new 55MPH speed limit sign had been erected !!! The car continued on at 55MPH +