Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increase in home electric bills

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
solar is free?
After your ROI (return on investment); the cost of installing solar panels versus the amount of time it takes to save that much money in what you would have paid had you not installed solar. That can take over a decade if you are like me and installed rooftop solar in 2010. Or it may only be 5-7 years with today's cheaper panels and higher electricity rates.

Once you hit that breakpoint, electricity is essentially free.

Wow another math question. lets see
10,000 miles a year and 240w/mile = 2.4k kwh
now .24 cents/kwh = $576 per year or $48 a month
My BMW ran about $600 per month
Get solar its $0 per month.
What beer at happy hour, never mind
10,000 m/year is 833/month. If your BMW gets 30 mpg and gas is $4/gal then it should've cost you $111/month. So you're either getting 5.5 mpg in your BMW or paying $21.6 per gallon of gas. Or perhaps your memory of paying $600/month is off?

San Diego gas and electric charges .39 for the 1st 200kwh, .49 for the rest. Highway robbery
I'm right there with ya, buddy. Heard that in El Paso, if you're on time of use, it costs *half a cent* per kWh during the lowest time. That means I could charge my M3 SR+ from 0 to 100% for a measly two bits!! Our electricity in San Diego is 80X higher. Insanity.

It's crap like this and also the enormous variation in outside charging that will greatly increase the time period for full BEV adoption. The public in general is too used to the stability of ICE mileage and gas prices, even with a relatively large price variation from region to region. Nowhere in the ICE world is the most expensive gas 80X more than that the least expensive. Granted, ICE cars have had a century to stabilize, But that just makes them harder to give up for a significant portion of the population.

Yep, in Maine, our electric rate went from 6.5c/kWh for numerous years, to 12c/kWh last January, and will go up again to 17c/kWh this January. Almost tripling in 13 months. I'm sure our governor who just got re-elected is so happy they didn't have elections after the new year. Though, it's not the elected official's fault, they do get blamed.

That's on top of a 9c/kWh delivery charge, so total cost used to be about 15.5c/kWh for many years, went to 21c/kWh last Jan, to 26c/kWh this Jan. Ouch.

The weird thing is that our state voted to shutdown the building of a new big power transmission line from Canada to Massachusetts, last year, because the line would require cutting down a 56mile swath of trees. That transmission line would have brought cheap hydroelectricity to Mass. Obviously, the financial benefits mostly accrue to Mass, but we all get better air, because using hydroelectricity is cleaner. I've tried to figure out why our state didn't try to get some of that cheap hydroelectricity for Maine? Do the voters have regrets for shutting down the power line when they're paying triple the electric rate come January? They're still fighting in the courts to get this line built. I have my fingers crossed.

Yep, in Maine, our electric rate went from 6.5c/kWh for numerous years, to 12c/kWh last January, and will go up again to 17c/kWh this January. Almost tripling in 13 months. I'm sure our governor who just got re-elected is so happy they didn't have elections after the new year. Though, it's not the elected official's fault, they do get blamed.

That's on top of a 9c/kWh delivery charge, so total cost used to be about 15.5c/kWh for many years, went to 21c/kWh last Jan, to 26c/kWh this Jan. Ouch.

The weird thing is that our state voted to shutdown the building of a new big power transmission line from Canada to Massachusetts, last year, because the line would require cutting down a 56mile swath of trees. That transmission line would have brought cheap hydroelectricity to Mass. Obviously, the financial benefits mostly accrue to Mass, but we all get better air, because using hydroelectricity is cleaner. I've tried to figure out why our state didn't try to get some of that cheap hydroelectricity for Maine? Do the voters have regrets for shutting down the power line when they're paying triple the electric rate come January? They're still fighting in the courts to get this line built. I have my fingers crossed.
As a NH resident I completely agree. It's really interesting how much of the green movement has a "not in my backyard" component from the very people who are so-called green voters.
Our rates pre-delivery went up to .23ish this year and will go higher in February.
Have you heard of Direct Energy? I locked in with them for 2 years at .13
They've been fantastic.

As a NH resident I completely agree. It's really interesting how much of the green movement has a "not in my backyard" component from the very people who are so-called green voters.
Our rates pre-delivery went up to .23ish this year and will go higher in February.
Have you heard of Direct Energy? I locked in with them for 2 years at .13
They've been fantastic.
You must have locked in when it was lower.
1669226616611.jpeg

cause now Direct Energy is showing 20.69c/kWh.
1669226879455.jpeg

For us, here in Maine, we're showing the utility company rate is the cheapest:
1669226822770.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC