Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increase in home electric bills

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if instead your rate was $0.24/kWh (as is mine) it'd be $62.43 a month?
Am I reading that right?

That sounds about right for around 800 miles. Like the previous poster said, add extra 15 percent on top of what the car's energy consumption is to account for efficiency losses, cabin overheat, vampire drain, etc. The 3 miles per kWh for a model 3 takes that into consideration.

San Diego gas and electric charges .39 for the 1st 200kwh, .49 for the rest.
I'm also on SDGE and recently changed my plan to EVTOU5. They charge $16 fee every month for this plan but they only charge 10 cents per kwh during the super off peak hours. This plan worked for me, my bill only added about $10 a month charging my tesla.
Check it out on their website, see if this can benefit you.
Screenshot_20220413-183740_Tesla.png

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Here you go, I got my M3LR end of March and have been logging all my stats via Teslamate (and Tesla wallcharger json api).

I live in NW Ontario, Canada. I am on TOU power with 8.2c/kWh. When i calculate out all delivery fees, line loss charges, 17% Ontario Energy Rebate and 13% HST tax my cost per kWh comes out to 0.0925/kWh all in. This is equiviliant to me paying at the pump in terms of total cost i pay per kwh.

That being said, the car costs me $0.03/KM for strictly city driving and our conditions are still cold with snow.

1649943218275.png

In comparison, my truck (2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab/Laramie) which i started logging recently when i decided i was purchasing a Tesla is below (Not compairing apples to apples but i'm using that as a baseline of savings by turning this car into our daily driver and only using the truck to pull our boat, lumber, etc)

1649943310405.png

Last edited:
Here you go, I got my M3LR end of March and have been logging all my stats via Teslamate (and Tesla wallcharger json api).

I live in NW Ontario, Canada. I am on TOU power with 8.2c/kWh. When i calculate out all delivery fees, line loss charges, 17% Ontario Energy Rebate and 13% HST tax my cost per kWh comes out to 0.0925/kWh all in. This is equiviliant to me paying at the pump in terms of total cost i pay per kwh.

That being said, the car costs me $0.03/KM for strictly city driving and our conditions are still cold with snow.

View attachment 793611

In comparison, my truck (2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab/Laramie) which i started logging recently when i decided i was purchasing a Tesla is below (Not compairing apples to apples but i'm using that as a baseline of savings by turning this car into our daily driver and only using the truck to pull our boat, lumber, etc)

View attachment 793612

1/10th of the cost, and 10 times the fun!

Reactions: Python
Getting sort of back on topic...

Here's a table of the PG&E residential rates: Rates and Tariffs

The first entry, "Residential Inclu TOU (xxxxxxx – Present)" is a link to a .XLSX spreadsheet for the current rates.

The cheapest energy charge rate at the moment, which I believe does not include transmission and other extra costs, is $0.21481/kWh. I'm on an E-6 plan since installing solar over 11 years ago so my cheapest is $0.28719 (baseline Winter Off-peak) and goes to $0.37737 over baseline. This is the one main reason why I charge at a ChargePoint DCFC CHAdeMO station where it's $0.19 all of the time.

edit: So assuming that the rates stay the same over the next couple of years, I'll have to consume around 5555kWh ($500 cost of the CHAdeMO adapter / $0.09 difference in electric rates) in order for the CHAdeMO adapter to pay for itself. I've been using the adapter for most of my charging in the last two years and if my math is correct, I'll need to have driven about 22K miles (avg. 250Wh/mi) using CHAdeMO juice. It would actually be somewhat less than that since I've also been able to get free CHAdeMO sessions here in town (during holidays when EA or EVgo have free weekends) or while traveling.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CheapBastid
Very sorry for dragging my feet on addressing the many helpful responses on my initial posting (some a bit over my head). No disrespect intended, just haven't been able to find the time to comb through it all and properly absorb until now. I think you've all given me enough to work with moving forward. Huge thanks to all who gave their input and advice!

I think Tesla's cost estimate is bogus.

Really, I suggest asking for a breakdown, so you can have an idea of where potential costs are coming from.
Everybody's demand varies so unless they have circuit monitoring, it's tough to attribute any increase to you.

Might be worth contacting Tesla's commercial department about the billing feature of the Wall Connector and how much that costs. If that could givd you more accurate numbers, it might be worth it to settle it. Or, submetering, as suggested by somebody above.

Very sorry for dragging my feet on addressing the many helpful responses on my initial posting (some a bit over my head). No disrespect intended, just haven't been able to find the time to comb through it all and properly absorb until now. I think you've all given me enough to work with moving forward. Huge thanks to all who gave their input and advice!

As I mentioned in the beginning, the best way for people to try to help you would be for you to provide the breakdown that was given to you by "the treasurer". They gave you a figure, they should have some information on how they arrived at the figure they gave you. That would tell you a lot (whether its an actual calculation or a " we used this much before you plugged in, and this much more this month after you plugged in" (which really isnt a calculation at all).

Getting sort of back on topic...

Here's a table of the PG&E residential rates: Rates and Tariffs

The first entry, "Residential Inclu TOU (xxxxxxx – Present)" is a link to a .XLSX spreadsheet for the current rates.

The cheapest energy charge rate at the moment, which I believe does not include transmission and other extra costs, is $0.21481/kWh. I'm on an E-6 plan since installing solar over 11 years ago so my cheapest is $0.28719 (baseline Winter Off-peak) and goes to $0.37737 over baseline. This is the one main reason why I charge at a ChargePoint DCFC CHAdeMO station where it's $0.19 all of the time.

edit: So assuming that the rates stay the same over the next couple of years, I'll have to consume around 5555kWh ($500 cost of the CHAdeMO adapter / $0.09 difference in electric rates) in order for the CHAdeMO adapter to pay for itself. I've been using the adapter for most of my charging in the last two years and if my math is correct, I'll need to have driven about 22K miles (avg. 250Wh/mi) using CHAdeMO juice. It would actually be somewhat less than that since I've also been able to get free CHAdeMO sessions here in town (during holidays when EA or EVgo have free weekends) or while traveling.
That assumes that your time is worth $0/hour.