Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increase the EV tax credit cap per manufacturer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Increase the EV tax credit cap per manufacturer. | We the People: Your Voice in Our Government

we petition the Obama administration to:
Increase the EV tax credit cap per manufacturer.
Internal Revenue Code Section 30D provides a credit for Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicles including passenger vehicles and light trucks.

The credit begins to phase out for a manufacturer’s vehicles when at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles have been sold for use in the United States.

A significant amount of consumers across the United States this past week have made the choice for an electric vehicle over a fossil fuel vehicle. Many of those consumers will be ineligible for the credit because of the phase out and many more will decide not purchase an electric vehicle because certain manufacturers will exceed the 200,000 vehicle cap.

We ask the White House to help change legislation to increase the tax credit cap in order to further promote the use of alternative fuels.

I never really thought the per manufacturer rule made much sense. Make it one big pool of say a million credits, going to whichever company sells them first.

Otherwise Honda or Subaru can wait a couple more years for prices to drop, and then cut the bottom out of the market using their untouched pool of credits.

I never really thought the per manufacturer rule made much sense. Make it one big pool of say a million credits, going to whichever company sells them first.

Otherwise Honda or Subaru can wait a couple more years for prices to drop, and then cut the bottom out of the market using their untouched pool of credits.
Yeah, I like this idea more than simply increasing the per manufacturer cap. The current system encourages sitting on your butt doing nothing and then coming in and having a huge advantage over those that did most of the hard work earlier.

Yeah, I like this idea more than simply increasing the per manufacturer cap. The current system encourages sitting on your butt doing nothing and then coming in and having a huge advantage over those that did most of the hard work earlier.

Agreed. The credit should be adjusted to a single industrywide pool or barring that I believe there should be a sunset date of say 2020. Let's get the laggards off their butts. The manufacturers who are slow to the table should not get the benefit of the credit to enhance sales if they are not taking the risk.

in the current political arena an extension of the EV tax credit is going to be a tough sell.
the media and some politicians have tagged Teslas as "toys" for the wealthy and some politicians are demagoguing the issue, making it part of the make the so called wealthy pay more in taxes in order to fund their free for all schemes.