TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Increased Bay Area Front Plate Enforcement

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by anxman, Sep 27, 2016.

1. anxman

anxman Member

#1 anxman, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    Hi all,

Just wanted to share my experiences recently with front plates. I've driven without front plates for about 7 years. The only time I encountered an issue was in Manhattan Beach near LA where I got a ticket last year for not having front plates.

In the last two weeks, I've received two "no front plates" tickets in SF around the Mission district. I'm sharing this as a friendly warning to those that park their cars in San Francisco as I believe there is increased enforcement of this style of ticketing.

The tickets are very expensive at $121 and are fix-it tickets.

//A

EDIT: Going to give this a try: STO N SHO quick release front license plate bracket

2. kort677

kort677 Active Member

you could always follow the laws on the books and mount your front plate

• Dislike x 3
    • Like x 2
  3. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

That'd be too simple.

• Like x 1
  4. anxman

anxman Member

I think front plates look awful on Teslas.

• Like x 2
  5. chillaban

chillaban Member

$121 is pretty cheap for a vehicle code violation in CA. I paid for at least 2 of them back when I didn't want to drill my BMW's bumper.

In SF, they will ticket you proactively any time you street park or park in a city-owned garage.

• Like x 1
  6. anxman

anxman Member

FWIW, I've parked in SF for years and never got front plate tickets until recently.

• Like x 1
  7. seclinton

seclinton Member

Parked Friday 9/23 near the Fillmore in SF around 3:00 in a "P" permitted zone. 2 hour limit. some morning hour until 6:00PM. Absolutely out of place in that area being a jet black Tesla with dark ass tint.

- so we went for some ice cream and beers (she had sangria @ the Study Room) before returning back to the car at 4:00 to move it to another spot to see if it would be tagged for anything.
    - when 4:00 hit, we jumped back out of the car and hit the pub again, knowing the 2hr limit times out at 6:00, so we'd be good sans parking permit until the end of the show

- No ticked for parking >2hrs, no no-plate ticket.
    - Peruvian tapas for dinner
    - Soundcheck, band meet and greet, photo, picked songs for the set; 2+ hour show

Just a great O.A.R. show at the Fillmore.

• Like x 1
  8. chillaban

chillaban Member

Lucky lucky! I've found that they didn't use to patrol the Mission as much, but man, that Embarcadero area around the piers, that is a death trap. I literally saw a meter maid go to my BMW (in 2013) and ticket it when I was one block away from my car.

(Don't you also love it that you have to address fix-it evidence to 'SFMTA Customer Service' as if you're their customer and they're doing you a service?)

9. anxman

anxman Member

I haven't gotten any of these tickets in the Marina, NOPA, or SOMA areas but I'm 2/2 in the Mission.

10. flashflood

flashflood Member

"Liberal police state" should be an oxymoron, but that's exactly what San Francisco is becoming.

• Like x 1
  11. anxman

anxman Member

I consider it to be the least tolerant liberal place that I've ever lived. As long as you subscribe to the local culture, you'll be accepted. If you have an ounce of capitalism or conservatism, then they want you gone.

12. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I agree, however the laws don't take that into consideration.

• Like x 1
  13. onautopilot

onautopilot Member

I haven't had a front license plate on any of my cars for 15 years in the Bay area. The only ticket I ever got was in the city (SF) in a parking lot. Since then when parking in SF I don't back in. Look for a spot where the front of the car won't be plainly visible. Problem solved.

• Helpful x 1
  14. chillaban

chillaban Member

I think that's good advice if you don't live in the city, but if you do, parallel parking tends to be an inevitable situation. It's helpful for people to know to watch out for this situation because the SFMTA does seem to have phases of very aggressive front plate enforcement.

15. NewJerseyMS

NewJerseyMS Member

Are you all saying that CA requires a front plate but doesn't enforce it? That's mind boggling.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

It is not that simple. Yes, legally in CA a front plate is required. That does not mean that if a police officer sees a car without a front plate they will invariably cite the driver for that violation. In fact that is uncommon, with exceptions as described by some of the posts in this thread and others on TMC where this has been discussed.

17. demundus

demundus Member

Its one of those "bigger fish to fry" scenarios... hell, speed limits are almost "suggestions" around here.

• Like x 1
  18. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

About 30% of the cars on the road in California do not have front plates. Bigger cities with bigger budgets seem to enforce that more.

• Like x 1
  19. Lightmatrix

Lightmatrix Member

I had to put a front plate when I moved from NV (doesn't require) to TX (does)... after about 15min of whining I realized it really doesn't look that bad.

• Helpful x 1
  20. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

Ummmm NO. That makes the car look FUGLY and honestly it's a waste. Many states don't even have 2 plates so they can pound sand.

• Like x 1