Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increased Bay Area Front Plate Enforcement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Just wanted to share my experiences recently with front plates. I've driven without front plates for about 7 years. The only time I encountered an issue was in Manhattan Beach near LA where I got a ticket last year for not having front plates.

In the last two weeks, I've received two "no front plates" tickets in SF around the Mission district. I'm sharing this as a friendly warning to those that park their cars in San Francisco as I believe there is increased enforcement of this style of ticketing.

The tickets are very expensive at $121 and are fix-it tickets.

//A

EDIT: Going to give this a try: STO N SHO quick release front license plate bracket
Here's another option for temporary plate mounting and removal on a pre-refresh Model S: http://teslatap.com/modifications/magnetic-front-license-plate

Reactions: anxman
Ummmm NO. That makes the car look FUGLY and honestly it's a waste. Many states don't even have 2 plates so they can pound sand.
I agree that the car looks bad with a front plate, but those pesky laws are part of the world that you live in and the consequences of your vanity is the risk of being ticketed. while refusal to comply with the law is an option there is that risk of being ticketed. instead of noncompliance wouldn't an attempt at getting the laws requiring front plates altered be a tactic that should be considered?

The reason they are cracking down is due to automated capture of license plates on parked cars. When a car is parallel parked too close to the car in back of it the reader has a higher chance of scanning the front plate. Great for legit counter-crime efforts. Great for meter maid efficiency and city coffers. Not so great that they log the data for who knows how long. But then I think if they really wanted to know where I was every second they could just call Tesla. :)