Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increased Bay Area Front Plate Enforcement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Just wanted to share my experiences recently with front plates. I've driven without front plates for about 7 years. The only time I encountered an issue was in Manhattan Beach near LA where I got a ticket last year for not having front plates.

In the last two weeks, I've received two "no front plates" tickets in SF around the Mission district. I'm sharing this as a friendly warning to those that park their cars in San Francisco as I believe there is increased enforcement of this style of ticketing.

The tickets are very expensive at $121 and are fix-it tickets.

//A

EDIT: Going to give this a try: STO N SHO quick release front license plate bracket

Last edited:
Parked Friday 9/23 near the Fillmore in SF around 3:00 in a "P" permitted zone. 2 hour limit. some morning hour until 6:00PM. Absolutely out of place in that area being a jet black Tesla with dark ass tint.

- so we went for some ice cream and beers (she had sangria @ the Study Room) before returning back to the car at 4:00 to move it to another spot to see if it would be tagged for anything.
- when 4:00 hit, we jumped back out of the car and hit the pub again, knowing the 2hr limit times out at 6:00, so we'd be good sans parking permit until the end of the show

- No ticked for parking >2hrs, no no-plate ticket.
- Peruvian tapas for dinner
- Soundcheck, band meet and greet, photo, picked songs for the set; 2+ hour show

Just a great O.A.R. show at the Fillmore.

Reactions: anxman
FWIW, I've parked in SF for years and never got front plate tickets until recently.

Lucky lucky! I've found that they didn't use to patrol the Mission as much, but man, that Embarcadero area around the piers, that is a death trap. I literally saw a meter maid go to my BMW (in 2013) and ticket it when I was one block away from my car.

(Don't you also love it that you have to address fix-it evidence to 'SFMTA Customer Service' as if you're their customer and they're doing you a service?)

I haven't had a front license plate on any of my cars for 15 years in the Bay area. The only ticket I ever got was in the city (SF) in a parking lot. Since then when parking in SF I don't back in. Look for a spot where the front of the car won't be plainly visible. Problem solved.

I think that's good advice if you don't live in the city, but if you do, parallel parking tends to be an inevitable situation. It's helpful for people to know to watch out for this situation because the SFMTA does seem to have phases of very aggressive front plate enforcement.

Are you all saying that CA requires a front plate but doesn't enforce it? That's mind boggling.
It is not that simple. Yes, legally in CA a front plate is required. That does not mean that if a police officer sees a car without a front plate they will invariably cite the driver for that violation. In fact that is uncommon, with exceptions as described by some of the posts in this thread and others on TMC where this has been discussed.