Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increased Body Roll After Air Suspension Adjustment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple of weeks ago our MS received its annual service. As part of the service, the car was aligned, the two rear tires were replaced (with the same factory OEM 19" MXM4's), and the SC performed a "ride height calibration."

Upon driving the car afterwards we detected a very noticeable increase in body roll, especially at highway speeds. It felt like the suspension was on its highest setting all the time. We, of course, checked this and the display reports that the suspension is lowering and raising correctly with a change in speed. We rebooted the car in case the problem was correctable that way but saw no change. We've verified that the air pressure is the same as we normally keep it (right at 45).

We thought that perhaps the new rear tires were the culprit and they would settle down in a couple hundred miles. No. It's been a few weeks and the body roll is still unchanged. We're pretty certain it's not our imagination because we've done controlled tests where we drove on known sections of road, at the same speed as before, and noted a the increased squishiness in handling.

Before I contacted the service center and asked about it, I wanted to bounce this off of the collective. Has anyone experienced similar behavior with their air suspension? Any ideas what might be going on?

You were probably experiencing lower than normal ride heights and got used to it. It wore the tires down, sort of "as expected" it would.
They fixed the height to be what it should have been all along. And you got new tires because of the abnormal wear - probably on the inner edges.

So you're probably experiencing normal now, and feel it "tippy". Although, it is has got to be the most solidly planted car I've every experienced.

If you had pictures of the side of the car "before" you might notice less room between the top of wheel and arch in the fenders, than you have now. For the same height setting.

You could buy lowering links and dial down the height again, and get that lower look and feeling back. You will have to deal with tire replacements on your own then...