Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increased Car Prices and $12k FSD...Just Insanity!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just for the record, some of us did buy FSD for a total of 5k. See flowchart:

I see you have MCU1.

How's the FSD Beta going?

:)

Wasn’t it Elon who said the price of tech inevitably goes down over time?

(I tried looking this up, but searching for a specific Elon quote made more than a year ago is useless…)
I'm disappointed there isn't a dedicated "What Elon Said" site where you don't search using keywords, and instead you select topic and then sub topic. So you just drill down to specifically what you're looking for.

The site would consist of every tweet, earnings call, interview, etc.

Reactions: 2101Guy
I'm disappointed there isn't a dedicated "What Elon Said" site where you don't search using keywords, and instead you select topic and then sub topic. So you just drill down to specifically what you're looking for.

The site would consist of every tweet, earnings call, interview, etc.
not to defend Musk too much lol, but that statement is correct, the price of tech always goes down, once a piece of tech is perfected and scaled up for mass production the price tends to tank as the cost of making it also goes down. NEW tech however always starts out high before going through that inevitable down turn in price. i.e. 2-3 year old phone is likely going to be free even brand new whereas the latest Samsung/iPhone costs 1-2k and keeps getting more expensive with each version seemingly lol.

not to defend Musk too much lol, but that statement is correct, the price of tech always goes down, once a piece of tech is perfected and scaled up for mass production the price tends to tank as the cost of making it also goes down. NEW tech however always starts out high before going through that inevitable down turn in price. i.e. 2-3 year old phone is likely going to be free even brand new whereas the latest Samsung/iPhone costs 1-2k and keeps getting more expensive with each version seemingly lol.

It's certainly a correct statement (assuming a pandemic doesn't get in the way), and the implications of it are pretty damning as it leads to a lot of waste.

At the same time we have to be careful of the cheats the tech industry uses when it comes to pricing.

Things like selling it for low margins to make money off games/software. Companies like Apple make a cool mint off services.
TV's in particular are sold at low cost, but there is advertisements and other data collection that people might not know a TV has.
TV's can't just be monitors that accept an HDMI signal. No instead they have to be chock full of stuff we don't really even want. This makes them obsolete sooner than they normally would.
There was a lot of cheating going on with Cell phones through things like not being able to fix issues or even replacing the battery. Thankfully this has been corrected to a large extent so our phones can last a few more years.
There tends to be a lot of overpromises with tech that are never accomplished. Like I have a bunch of health trackers since I like the idea of it, but they don't really work.

I have to wonder if the world isn't a bit exhausted by tech. Where we want things that just work, and will last a really long time. Like the other day I bought a flashlight with supercap where you shake it to charge it. I'm sure it will outlive me.

I used to have a few of the crank radios years ago, well since they have mechanical parts that wear out that didn't last long. Plus those type of devices use rechargeable batteries that are limited by charge cycles. So no, your flashlight won't outlive you.

I really wanted to sell or trade in my 2018 Model 3 for a new Model Y but the constant increases from Tesla has changed my mind. And increasing FSD to $12,000 made my decision not to buy even easier. I only paid $2,000 for FSD for my Model 3 and will never pay $12,000 or do the subscription for it. It's bad enough I'm paying $10 a month for the Premium Connectivity. Subscription based plans always increase in price so at some point I'll cancel it. Tesla now lost my money for a new Model Y, but if they let us transfer FSD for a small fee then they could get me back. Otherwise I think my Model 3 will be my last Tesla.

One more rant about the FSD price. I didn't think FSD was worth it when it was $3,000 but decided to go for it was offered to me at $2,000. It did get me a computer board upgrade, but functionality wise it's still not that impressive for the price and absolutely not worth it at $12,000 and most people won't buy it. And it's really going to suck if someone hits my car, totaling it, and now I can't afford to replace the car with the FSD that it had. So through no fault of my own I would I originally paid for. So this is why Tesla should let us do an FSD transfer. Maybe they could let us do a free transfer if the vehicle was totaled and it wasn't our fault, and maybe charge a small fee to transfer if just wanted a newer Tesla. They could sort out the details and it would be very profitable for them. But this $12,000 thing is stopping people from buying it, when Autopilot it good enough for most of us. Elon has this delusion that we're going to have full self driving this year, regulators will never approve it for at least a decade.

Okay, rant off!
I have to agree, it's ridiculous for something that isn't even fully realized yet. And the fact that you can't transfer it is asinine seeing as to how it's only software and not something you'd have to take in for hardware upgrades meaning they'd have to rip things apart
I really wanted to sell or trade in my 2018 Model 3 for a new Model Y but the constant increases from Tesla has changed my mind. And increasing FSD to $12,000 made my decision not to buy even easier. I only paid $2,000 for FSD for my Model 3 and will never pay $12,000 or do the subscription for it. It's bad enough I'm paying $10 a month for the Premium Connectivity. Subscription based plans always increase in price so at some point I'll cancel it. Tesla now lost my money for a new Model Y, but if they let us transfer FSD for a small fee then they could get me back. Otherwise I think my Model 3 will be my last Tesla.

One more rant about the FSD price. I didn't think FSD was worth it when it was $3,000 but decided to go for it was offered to me at $2,000. It did get me a computer board upgrade, but functionality wise it's still not that impressive for the price and absolutely not worth it at $12,000 and most people won't buy it. And it's really going to suck if someone hits my car, totaling it, and now I can't afford to replace the car with the FSD that it had. So through no fault of my own I would I originally paid for. So this is why Tesla should let us do an FSD transfer. Maybe they could let us do a free transfer if the vehicle was totaled and it wasn't our fault, and maybe charge a small fee to transfer if just wanted a newer Tesla. They could sort out the details and it would be very profitable for them. But this $12,000 thing is stopping people from buying it, when Autopilot it good enough for most of us. Elon has this delusion that we're going to have full self driving this year, regulators will never approve it for at least a decade.

Okay, rant off!
I'd have to wholeheartedly agree with you. I think asking $12k for something that isn't even fully realized is asinine! And not being able to transfer it is even worse seeing as to how it's only software. It's not like you have to take the car in for hardware upgrades where they have to rip a bunch of stuff out and replace it. The car literally ships with capabilities being held ransom behind software. And autopark should be something it should just do. My sisters $35k Buick can do it for free. I'm just saying.

Then, don't buy ! Nobody is forcing you !!
Just like nobody forced you to reply to a message that wasn't even directed to you. You act like that personally offended you hahahaha, like you're one of the engineers. Go ahead and pay $12k to fund r & d and I'll enjoy my car just the way it is thank you very much! Are people not allowed to have opinions anymore...🙄

Just like nobody forced you to reply to a message that wasn't even directed to you. You act like that personally offended you hahahaha, like you're one of the engineers. Go ahead and pay $12k to fund r & d and I'll enjoy my car just the way it is thank you very much! Are people not allowed to have opinions anymore...🙄
Hmmm ... this is an open forum. If you don't want people to reply, why bother posting here ?

Besides, I didn't say the msg was directed at me ;)

ps : I see you joined TMC last month.

You don't need FSD. It could be $3k and it's still not worth it. It's too stressful with it ON.

Here is 10.10 where it was trying to ram a parked car. I was a bit slow to react here since I didn't expect FSD to do this at such a low speed. All warnings went off saying take over. Car veer off lane. Warning beeped for a good 10 seconds before it stopped.

20220301_145349.gif

You don't need FSD. It could be $3k and it's still not worth it. It's too stressful with it ON.

Here is 10.10 where it was trying to ram a parked car. I was a bit slow to react here since I didn't expect FSD to do this at such a low speed. All warnings went off saying take over. Car veer off lane. Warning beeped for a good 10 seconds before it stopped.

View attachment 775520
Ha well I think it’s worth $3k just to have auto lane change on the freeway. I don’t mean the feature that automatically decides you’re in the slow lane and bumps you over. I mean when the driver initiates the lane change with the signal, and the car does the rest. I miss it so much. Also the chime on green lights is awesome (why is that a FSD feature???) and the fact that cars on your display turn red when nearby in lane you want to go to (again that’s a nice safety feature why not standard). Sometimes simple summon when I want to inch my car forward or back in a spot. Other than that I agree I don’t miss fsd.

Reactions: Flyguy
Ha well I think it’s worth $3k just to have auto lane change on the freeway. I don’t mean the feature that automatically decides you’re in the slow lane and bumps you over. I mean when the driver initiates the lane change with the signal, and the car does the rest. I miss it so much. Also the chime on green lights is awesome (why is that a FSD feature???) and the fact that cars on your display turn red when nearby in lane you want to go to (again that’s a nice safety feature why not standard). Sometimes simple summon when I want to inch my car forward or back in a spot. Other than that I agree I don’t miss fsd.
Those were all in EAP I had before FSD. Auto lane change by itself is not that great, but as you said, manually initiate the turn and letting it do its thing was good. I use that when I'm too lazy to pay attention. Let the car check for blind spots and motorcycles. That's what that feature is for right?

Auto lane change on its own doesn't have great logic. It will try to change lanes into a slower car instead of going in front of it. Doing 80 and going in front a 60 is safer than slamming down 55 to get behind it.

Trust me, FSD is not worth it, but you can sub a month to try it out and see if it fits your needs. I hardly use mine and when I do, I turn it off quickly because it'll do dumb things.

Reactions: Sporty