Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increased consumption in 8.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I added a post in the 8.0 thread, but I thought that I would ask this in a separate thread to see how many others are experiencing this. Since 8.0 was installed on my car, I am experiencing higher consumption. My 90% rated range on my 2016 90D is 264 miles. With my driving pattern under 7.0, I would always get 200+ miles of combined town and freeway driving. With my normal driving, after the first 90% charge since 8.0, I was down to 45 miles yesterday, I estimate that I will have gotten just under 170 miles on this charge. My mix for this charge was about 70/30 town vs freeway. This seems really strange. I am in California, so no cold weather impacting the range. Is anyone else seeing this behavior with 8.0?

I added a post in the 8.0 thread, but I thought that I would ask this in a separate thread to see how many others are experiencing this. Since 8.0 was installed on my car, I am experiencing higher consumption. My 90% rated range on my 2016 90D is 264 miles. With my driving pattern under 7.0, I would always get 200+ miles of combined town and freeway driving. With my normal driving, after the first 90% charge since 8.0, I was down to 45 miles yesterday, I estimate that I will have gotten just under 170 miles on this charge. My mix for this charge was about 70/30 town vs freeway. This seems really strange. I am in California, so no cold weather impacting the range. Is anyone else seeing this behavior with 8.0?

Nope...mine is the same..managed to put 500 miles with 8.0 and can't see any change. I expect with the higher regen it will end up being slightly better

Nope...mine is the same..managed to put 500 miles with 8.0 and can't see any change. I expect with the higher regen it will end up being slightly better

That is what I would have expected with the higher regen, but that has not been the case for me. I do see the higher regen graphically on the display, but it is very subtle difference from 7.0 while driving. Perhaps this was a first 8.0 charge anomaly, but I want to keep an eye on it.

If you leave your car alone for lots of short trips, can cabin overheat protection also be playing a role?

That is interesting. It has been very hot here, and the car has been out in baking hot sun quite a bit last week. I'm certain that cabin overheat kicked in a few times last week. Didn't Elon say that the car could run for a year or something on a full charge with overheat protection running? I will be watching all of this closely with my fresh charge starting today.

That is interesting. It has been very hot here, and the car has been out in baking hot sun quite a bit last week. I'm certain that cabin overheat kicked in a few times last week. Didn't Elon say that the car could run for a year or something on a full charge with overheat protection running? I will be watching all of this closely with my fresh charge starting today.

Maybe Elon doesn't bake his car out in the sun? I think a year is overly exaggerating with the recent CA heat wave. TeslaFi shows me losing about 4-5 miles per day during an 8hr work day mostly due to cabin overheat protection. I still like it and keep it on because I can return to a car that's not scorching hot and easily cools back down... But it is definitely good to remember that if you want to prolong your range, turn off Cabin Overheat Protection.

No, it's not certain that the outcome with higher regen when used a lot is better range. It will only increase range if used occasionally for cases where you would have previously had to brake. Otherwise, if you dip into the new capability often, you have losses in efficiency from when you would have otherwise used that energy efficiently to propel the car forward.

Have driven with Ver8 for a week and consumption doesn't seem even a little different either way. I drive ~47 miles each way on my daily commute and have arrived with 70-71% at work (just like before V8) and arrive home with 50-52%. Has been exactly as before. Changed my display to % instead of miles remaining the 3rd day I had my car

The car can't even go 2 months with "nothing" running, forget about a year.

I don't understand the posters that are trying to do anything other than plug the car in each night. Help me along here please? Do you not have charging at home?

My commute would have to be well over 50RM each way for me to plug in every night. That's a very uncommon commute, given the average commute in the US is about 15 miles. So I don't know why most people would be plugging in every night, especially if they didn't want to keep the battery at a high SoC all the time. Not to mention, I'd rather plug in at work anyway.

Plugging in at work regularly makes sense to me. I guess I'm just used to always figuring something could end up leaving me suddenly needing to take a run somewhere. It takes so little time to plug in that I don't think about it. Have a spot for the cable to hang so it's a few seconds right before I leave the garage.

I don't understand the posters that are trying to do anything other than plug the car in each night. Help me along here please? Do you not have charging at home?

I live at an apartment with shared chargers and work at a company where EVs outnumber chargers 5:1 or so. Staying plugged in on a regular basis is simply not an option, but I still try my hardest to be considerate to everyone at my apartment and at work for not using the chargers more than I need to.

As a result my vehicle stays off the charger basically for every night....

It'd be great to have a house and a dedicated charger but if I waited I would still be driving a Volkswagen vehicle for the next few years. Some of us are willing to deal with minor inconveniences for the sake of driving emissions free, and are more sensitive to things like how many days we can go without hunting for a charger. It's not the end of the world that the car drains a couple more percent due to a valuable safety and comfort feature, but it is something we need to take into account.

Last edited:
Reactions: gabeincal