Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increased idle power drain (>1% / day), anyone else experiencing this after recent software updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed some rather troublesome additional idle power drain with my M3LR. I don't own my home so no option to plug in overnight, I'm 100% tied to superchargers.

The first time after a long spell between charges, I saw ~18% battery drain over the span of 12 days. Just today I saw it use over 1% energy in just 5 hours.

IMG_0464.jpeg

IMG_0493.jpeg

Tesla, in typical Tesla fashion, was useless and said this is normal behavior. So I looked at my own stats from the streaming API, and I see that at least in the case of the idle today (I don't have great data for the 12 day idle), the car was listed as asleep 12 minutes after I had parked, which seems normal to me.

When I had a ticket open with Tesla, after some pushing with them since they were trying to brush me off, they admitted that the majority of the power usage from their data appears to be the HVAC anti-smell routine that dries out the system. It seems odd, though, that it would use quite that much energy, unless it was running for an hour with the AC compressor on each time it ran, and ran every single day.

Has anyone else noticed this now that we have granular battery usage data? I'm also wondering if it might be possible to use this thread as a master location to compile more data if it is in fact not normal? I don't recall my car ever using this much battery idling--even before the granular battery usage data--so I wonder if something changed in a recent update.

And before anyone asks, no Sentry Mode turned on, no Smart Summon, etc. They're off. And if either was on, I suppose I'd expect them to be listed in their respective categories.

I've noticed some rather troublesome additional idle power drain with my M3LR. I don't own my home so no option to plug in overnight, I'm 100% tied to superchargers.

The first time after a long spell between charges, I saw ~18% battery drain over the span of 12 days. Just today I saw it use over 1% energy in just 5 hours.

View attachment 899574
View attachment 899575

Tesla, in typical Tesla fashion, was useless and said this is normal behavior. So I looked at my own stats from the streaming API, and I see that at least in the case of the idle today (I don't have great data for the 12 day idle), the car was listed as asleep 12 minutes after I had parked, which seems normal to me.

When I had a ticket open with Tesla, after some pushing with them since they were trying to brush me off, they admitted that the majority of the power usage from their data appears to be the HVAC anti-smell routine that dries out the system. It seems odd, though, that it would use quite that much energy, unless it was running for an hour with the AC compressor on each time it ran, and ran every single day.

Has anyone else noticed this now that we have granular battery usage data? I'm also wondering if it might be possible to use this thread as a master location to compile more data if it is in fact not normal? I don't recall my car ever using this much battery idling--even before the granular battery usage data--so I wonder if something changed in a recent update.

And before anyone asks, no Sentry Mode turned on, no Smart Summon, etc. They're off. And if either was on, I suppose I'd expect them to be listed in their respective categories.
Make sure you aren’t using any apps or getting any data from your car. Change your password and don’t give it to the apps.

At 18% over 12 days, your car must not be sleeping enough. That’s 50W of power, so indicates it is only sleeping around 70-80% of the time or so.

The five-hour interval is 150-200W which indicates mostly not sleeping. But keep in mind that can be just BMS adjustment too so I would ignite the five-hour datapoint (grab another delta measurement after the car sits longer to eliminate the reestimation adjustment).

It is telling you on those 2 screen shots to turn off 3rd party apps.
Something there is keeping the car awake.
It's telling me in one screenshot, not two, and that 2% is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the other 18% in that screenshot, and the 1.1% over five hours of simple idling in the other screenshot.

If it was drain coming from a 3rd party app, I would expect that to be shown in the Mobile App category and not Vehicle Standby.

Additionally, my stats indicate that the car is NOT waking up from sleep mode during the time when the drain occurs. If it was, I would see the wake state in TeslaMate and Tessie (which, again, both use the Tesla streaming API, which does not wake up the car).

If it was drain coming from a 3rd party app, I would expect that to be shown in the Mobile App category and not Vehicle Standby.

Additionally, my stats indicate that the car is NOT waking up from sleep mode during the time when the drain occurs. If it was, I would see the wake state in TeslaMate and Tessie (which, again, both use the Tesla streaming API, which does not wake up the car).

Maybe these things are true. However, I think it is good to check the sleep state. Easiest way is just a 12V battery monitor. See below for how it should look, sometimes, if the car is completely left alone and not used. Other days there are longer wakeups but they are still infrequent. You can also just listen for it but obviously you won’t catch everything (but this is how I realized I needed to stop using Stats).

18% over 12 days? Not unusual at all. I can easily see 3% a day.
You use Stats though. I had to stop using it a couple years ago because it was waking up my car many times per day. I guess I should try it again! (It’s hard (annoying) to try because I have to change my password to disable it.)

I expect more like 0.4%/day. That is for a car with a ~70kWh battery.

These days, not including the first day, the loss seems closer to one mile per day, with one wake up each day of about 30 minutes to an hour max. So that would be maybe 150Wh (wake 0.7 hours) + 170Wh (sleep 23.3 hours)which would be a bit over one mile per day.

Obviously you ignore the first day after a drive, since it is irrelevant. (Meaning often incorrect conclusions due to BMS corrections, cold battery, etc.)

DC05FABF-9055-4A7B-B5E4-1C173EB4B1AB.png

If you’re nearly always in the sleep state, your losses while parked will be quite low (around 10-15W average). There is not really any other possible outcome. (Yes, they could screw up the sleep state and have it take 30W instead of 7W, but that would mean very frequent wakeups!)

Of course, % loss per day will be higher for vehicles with smaller batteries. But OP has M3LR.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
i have noticed the same thing too lately after the latest update. at first it was draining 10.3% of my battery when my car is parked for 12 hrs. Sentry is off, cabin protection is set to 100 deg F, but since its winter. its about 55-60 deg F. Then i found that the vehicle standby was the culprit too, So i thought there were apps that were running in my phone and watch. I made sure that i close the apps after i get out of the car, and turned off background app refresh.

after doing switching off the background app refresh (ios), the vehicle standby dropped to 4.2%. I just need to find what else is in there that causing this problem.

i have noticed the same thing too lately after the latest update. at first it was draining 10.3% of my battery when my car is parked for 12 hrs. Sentry is off, cabin protection is set to 100 deg F, but since its winter. its about 55-60 deg F. Then i found that the vehicle standby was the culprit too, So i thought there were apps that were running in my phone and watch. I made sure that i close the apps after i get out of the car, and turned off background app refresh.

after doing switching off the background app refresh (ios), the vehicle standby dropped to 4.2%. I just need to find what else is in there that causing this problem.
i just wanted to share an update:

So my car phantom drain from the vehicle standby disappeared, i may have accidentally solved the (my) issue by doing the following.
I switched off the the background refresh app from my phone.. and my wife's phone. (maybe the car is connecting to her phone for constant update)
couple morning as i am running late, i forgot to engage the navigation to my work. I do this just because i wanted to keep track of my driving habit efficiency. But the thing is between the address of my work and the parking lot itself are quite far from each other, hence not reaching the address in the navigation. Both days, my battery vehicle standby was reduce close to zero. Lately, i just make sure that when i reach my destination that i end the route.

i hope this helps

• Informative
Reactions: KenC