TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Increased range of P85+ over P85?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Madartist, Sep 28, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Madartist

Madartist Member

I remember reading on the Tesla website when the Plus version first came out that the P85+ would have improved range over P85. I'm not sure why this would be the case...perhaps improved aerodynamics due to the suspension upgrade? Does anyone have any real life experience between the two to verify or refute this claim? If so, how much difference are we talking about?

2. drees

drees Active Member

It was the Michelin tires that were responsible for the improvement in range - they have lower rolling resistance than the Continentals.

3. Madartist

Madartist Member

That make sense. Any ideas on how much improvement?

4. drees

drees Active Member

Tesla claims about 3%. Now the Michelin tires are available on 85 kWh cars standard and a $1000 option for 60 kWh cars.

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Just bear in mind that it's pretty easy to eat up that 3% by going a bit faster :)

6. Madartist

Madartist Member

Going faster in a P85+?? I would never dream of doing anything so rash! (Just don't look at my speedometer.) :big grin:

According to the Tesla website, there's an approximately 6% range loss for the 21" wheels compared to the 19" wheels, amongst all the 85kW models. So would it be fair to say that there's only a 3% penalty in range for the P85+ compared with the S85, assuming the same speed and air conditioner use?

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

My thought here is that anything within +-5% is the same as zero due to the limits of accuracy of the instrumentation and other variable factors. So 6% would be barely noticeable, the 3% will get lost in the noise. It's not that it isn't real, or isn't there, it's just that you need very controlled conditions to reliably see it.