Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increased Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When delivered in June, my LR consistently charged at 100% prior to long trips to 315 mi. After the OTA update, it charged to 325. I'm at 4,700 miles, and charge at 100% is back to 315. I've supercharged ~12 times either to 80% or to 100% before a long distance trip since June. If my MY remains around 315 at full charge, I'll be happy. My longest trip is 175 miles one-way, and I arrive with ~135 miles remaining, which makes me happy. And when I arrive at my destination, there are new 250kW chargers within 5 miles.

I got seven miles of range back with that update. Sadly, I lost 8 miles a little before the update though.

20201228_195903.jpg

. Did this include existing Ys or only new Ys that were released after the announcement? I never saw any increase in my Performance w/PUP.

Your link is to the software update, but also the 2021 vehicle update. This software update applied retroactively to 2020 Model Ys AWD (non-P) which went to ~326 miles (no more energy, just a change in the constant, with concomitant efficiency improvements). Your car likely also got efficiency improvements, but with no change in the constant & displayed rated range (because Tesla doesn't want to overplay the range of the Performance, probably...not sure their rationale for this choice).

But for Performance, as has been noted, the increase in range for 2021 comes from the denser pack that the 2021 Performance has (it has more energy than your Model Y started with). It will go further than your vehicle even with identical efficiency.

When delivered in June, my LR consistently charged at 100% prior to long trips to 315 mi. After the OTA update, it charged to 325.

This was just a change in the constant that did not give you more energy. Your range may have actually improved due to efficiency improvements, of course.

After the OTA update, it charged to 325. I'm at 4,700 miles, and charge at 100% is back to 315

This means your battery/BMS thinks it has lost about 3.5% capacity (which would be within normal after 4700 miles and 6 months). It may or may not "stick." Could be real, could bounce around a little. I would guess it is mostly real capacity loss (which is fine).

Last edited:
Reactions: Dugknight
I know at some point, Tesla announced a range increase for the Model Ys. Did this include existing Ys or only new Ys that were released after the announcement? I never saw any increase in my Performance w/PUP. I have never seen over 279 when charging 100%. Thanks.
Reference: Tesla Model Y Gets Range Increase for Long Range and Performance Models - TeslaNorth.com
i dont know about range increase but your profile photo is the worst photo in the history of photos. Im getting serious PTSD from that shot hahah