Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increased wh/mi after front shaft replacement service.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
My 2020 LR was recently in service for front half shaft replacement ( usual shudder problem ). After service I am experiencing elevated wh/mi values. I understand in winter its bit higher but current values are above that. On highways where I used to get around 300 now same is 400+. Anyone experienced it ?

Hi All,
My 2020 LR was recently in service for front half shaft replacement ( usual shudder problem ). After service I am experiencing elevated wh/mi values. I understand in winter its bit higher but current values are above that. On highways where I used to get around 300 now same is 400+. Anyone experienced it ?
nothing Done should affect efficiency, Unless they took apart control arms and changed alignment no need to do it but sometimes people do silly things.

nothing Done should affect efficiency, Unless they took apart control arms and changed alignment no need to do it but sometimes people do silly things.
I asked specifically about alignment and they told me that it wont be required. They replaced the front shafts and again replaced it after an hour of testing. In invoice I have two entries one for front halfshaft replacement and again new RH frontshaft replacement. They might have messed up something dont know :(

Do you remember what your efficiency was during last winter for comparison?
Yep depending where I drove. We do not use heater that much so on average driving less than 350. Now its 400+. I keep that wh/mi numbers on behind the wheel display so sudden change is noticed immediately. This started happening in last 4 weeks.. it wasnt that cold when I noticed it first.

Yep depending where I drove. We do not use heater that much so on average driving less than 350. Now its 400+. I keep that wh/mi numbers on behind the wheel display so sudden change is noticed immediately. This started happening in last 4 weeks.. it wasnt that cold when I noticed it first.
I'd start with an alignment and during that process check the axles/suspension for any binding.

Service advisors found the usage bit high but still within range . I insisted that they should at least check the logs. There they found a hvac related alert "temp_aux hvac evap alert" and asked me to leave the car for some thermal test. They didnt find any issue and I picked the car next day. When i go to service mode that alert is still there.. not sure if its an issue or could be ignored safely.

Hi All,
Same exact issue
lost 30% range after new tires and half shaft replacement

Performance model x 2020 25k miles
I just had the service bulletin done for the half shaft replacement along with new tires in Oct 2022.

I noticed ia needing to charge more frequently... Then started paying attention to my watt's per mile.

Used to be 297wh\mile to 330 or so typically. Average was just over 300wh\mile since owning the car. Which matches the 330 mile range

Now it is almost 400wh\mil average and when I just pull out of the drive way, I've seen it jump to 1400 w\mile for the first mile. In chill mode. Range has gone to crap.

Any one know what might have happened? The service has been horrible at our Tesla dealer and in afraid of I put in a service visit it will be a long ride out there with no result.
Would love to go in with a recommendation for them.

Anytime else have this happen with new tires or the half shaft replacement. ? Side note, when I left the alignment was bad and had to return 2x for then to get it right. Not sure if that was related but add ing for detail. Alignment is good now.
This is not temperature related
I've had the car for 2yrs and the w/mile increase is new

For what it's worth, it's not ambient temperature related. I have the same issue, and I live in San Diego. Our winters are like our summers, with a splash of drizzle.