Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increasing SOC without charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M3 SR+ V10.2(2020.36.10), Left the house at 92%, just completed charging so the battery was warm, and arrived at the first destination with 88%. In the 30 minutes I was parked and waiting in the car with just the radio on, the SOC is now 90%.

An engineer could probably explain this for you. Something similar happens with my camera batteries. Shooting in cold weather. Camera dies. Change to fresh batteries. Put spent batteries in pocket next to my body. They warm up and are good for more shots later. So those batteries were affected by temperature changes.

Plugged in last night like normal, didn’t touch a thing, my charge limit is always set to 90%, and this morning it’s at 92%

Charging tends to overshoot the target percentage by 1-2%. Whatever you have it set at, it hovers around that. So it'll charge to 92%, let it drain to 88%, then charge back up to 92%. This is to keep the contactors from constantly being open.

Gained 3% in ~4 hours with Sentry mode on. I'm gonna keep sentry on more often :cool:

bX6swcy.jpg

RE1RIWz.jpg

When the car is parked and sleeps it equalizes cells in the pack and then takes some calibration measurements, which may change the capacity computation. Perhaps you have some difficult-to-balance cells that are throwing you off and the calibration corrects it. I’d expect it to correct downward, but I suppose upward is also possible.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
As others have said, there are two options. Option 1, your battery is getting warmer and more of that power becomes available to you. You don't need to see a blue battery portion for this to happen.
Option 2, the Bms readjusted its estimate of the battery's capacity so it adjusted the percentage full or the rated distance. In that case you didn't gain anything, only the estimated range or percent changed. Your battery stayed at whatever power level it contained prior.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
As others have said, there are two options. Option 1, your battery is getting warmer and more of that power becomes available to you. You don't need to see a blue battery portion for this to happen.
Option 2, the Bms readjusted its estimate of the battery's capacity so it adjusted the percentage full or the rated distance. In that case you didn't gain anything, only the estimated range or percent changed. Your battery stayed at whatever power level it contained prior.

Assuming #2 - it would mean he experienced some degradation, if I'm thinking about this correctly. I believe this happened on my car.

I have this happen frequently. There are downhill sections going to my house where I regen and also from exiting highway less than 2 miles away and I feel like it doesn’t immediately account for the regen gains in the range or percentage shown.

I have this happen frequently. There are downhill sections going to my house where I regen and also from exiting highway less than 2 miles away and I feel like it doesn’t immediately account for the regen gains in the range or percentage shown.
This discussion has nothing to do with re-gen. That's another (interesting) subject. It's about changes to battery readout that happen after parking the car.

This discussion has nothing to do with re-gen. That's another (interesting) subject. It's about changes to battery readout that happen after parking the car.

I may not have been clear. I am getting changes after parking the car. I’ll park in my garage with 50% or 145 miles. I’ll return hours later and I’ll have 52% and 151 miles for example. I was thinking it could be due to regen that was not accounted for until after the car sits and is parked.

Reactions: Jim R