Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increasingly Frustrated with Oregon Supercharger Situation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I too would feel a lot better about this trip if there was a charger in Biggs Junction, just in case.
Biggs Junction and south from there seem like obvious places to improve the situation. I already gave feedback to Tesla on that, twice. No action or response.

The Dalles quantity (5) and generation (150 kW?) is underserving demand and pretty much has since it's opened. I think it's had the "high volume" 80% behavior every time I've visited, even in the early morning.

Reactions: lnsh
Slightly off topic but any secrets? At 25k I am just under 10% (225.78 vs 250 new).
I charged to 90% off 120 for almost 3 years and 100% on the road. Occasionally I drain it down 10% and charge it back up. I’ve been playing around with it in the last 6 months since I got the 240 - 80 and not chargin during the week until it gets low.

The recommendation I always see is drain it down low then charge it to 100 and it recalibrates. Heck if I know if it works.

Reactions: Mrbrock
You've got superchargers all over there, dude. I don't see the problem. 138mi between chargers sounds luxurious!
Some of the charging gaps are a serious problem. Traveled to Crater Lake National Park along Hwy 97 last year via Bend. The Bend Supercharger did not charge fully (per policy because of heavy use) and the absolute elevation gains in high mountain destinations like this drew down battery power quickly meaning advertised range was wildly incorrect. Was essentially stuck with barely enough power to return to Bend and no reserve to sightsee or look for the two stall level 2 charger.

Reactions: GreenDriver
Some of the charging gaps are a serious problem. Traveled to Crater Lake National Park along Hwy 97 last year via Bend. The Bend Supercharger did not charge fully (per policy because of heavy use) and the absolute elevation gains in high mountain destinations like this drew down battery power quickly meaning advertised range was wildly incorrect. Was essentially stuck with barely enough power to return to Bend and no reserve to sightsee or look for the two stall level 2 charger.
You can charge higher, just set the charge limit after you plug in. For heavy use stations it defaults to 80 but it doesn’t limit you to that. For the average person charging, they don’t need to be more than 80%. But if you need 100% to reach the next stop, set that as the limit AFTER you plug in.

In addition to @Mrbrock’s tips above, you can use the energy app on the car to see what your predicted state of charge will be on arrival. As you’re driving, you can see how your actual consumption compares to the prediction and adjust your driving (slow down, adjust heat, etc) or make an additional stop if necessary.

“Advertised range” is only achieved on slow back roads with favorable weather. You’re better off changing the display to % (tap the number of miles remaining next to the battery indicator to change back and forth) and use the energy app to predict your range.

Reactions: GSP
I've been a happy Tesla owner for almost 2 years now, and we're considering a Model Y but we have our reservations that come down to traveling safely (and conveniently). I feel like we're being underserved with Superchargers for long-distance travel here in Oregon.

While the northwest area of the state is well covered, traveling east/west on I-84 and south on I-5 (south of Springfield) is not convenient and quite frankly not safe. There are multiple single-points of failure.

Specifically, traveling east/west on I-84 would be a non-starter with my family, with over 130 miles between superchargers (The Dalles and Pendleton, which are the old 150kW models) and literally nothing in-between. I would not feel comfortable traveling with my family in a Tesla along this route, which makes us hesitant to get a second Tesla and go all-electric.

Traveling south is equally inconvenient. There's nearly 140 miles between Springfield and Grants Pass (again, both are the old 150kW models). I understand there are planned Superchargers between this gap, but this has been the case for over 3 years with nothing to show for it.

I feel like we're on a bit of an island here in NW Oregon. I'm frustrated, and at this point, I'm leaning towards keeping our gas car as our main vehicle for traveling. Does anyone here share my frustrations? Is there any way to voice this to the Tesla Supercharger team?
I purchased in 2018 RWD LR about 90k miles on it now. Have traveled from Hillsboro to San Diego and Phoenix Arizona. In the NW I have gone up to BC and the Tricities area. Never though we were missing chargers. I have taken my tesla up Mt Adams to the south climb trailhead and really bad roads. No issues.

I purchased in 2018 RWD LR about 90k miles on it now. Have traveled from Hillsboro to San Diego and Phoenix Arizona. In the NW I have gone up to BC and the Tricities area. Never though we were missing chargers. I have taken my tesla up Mt Adams to the south climb trailhead and really bad roads. No issues.
There are gaps but they are being filled. It helps to stay on the major highways. I’ve noticed a huge improvement in the last three years. I’ve made three trips to Los Angeles in two years & each one has been better.

Reactions: PLUS EV
There has been an internal fight at supercharge.info & one of the major site finders, MarcoRP, has been removed as an editor. I think this is his Twitter site as he has moved entirely to Twitter. I don’t use Twitter either.
Back to the subject of this thread. Lots of activity in the last couple of months. Tesla has added several charging sites to their construction list. I-5 will be mostly built after these sites are completed but there will still be gaps on the secondary roads in the Willamette Valley & it’s still difficult to go to Crater Lake.

There has been an internal fight at supercharge.info & one of the major site finders, MarcoRP, has been removed as an editor. I think this is his Twitter site as he has moved entirely to Twitter.
I am 110% certain that is nothing to do with any private individual related to the supercharge.info site. It's a certified official account from Tesla Inc. itself.

As the OP of this thread, I have to say the Oregon Supercharger situation has improved quite substantially in 2022 in terms of new sites built, under construction, and permitted.

I put Crescent OR on the twitter reply :)
I hadn't been to this thread before and at first was surprised at how bad people say it is, but now I understand just how much it has improved fairly recently :) I've up in Seattle, but I've taken I-5 through Oregon, the coast highway all the way up, and the northeast Pendleton through Baker City out to Boise and had absolutely zero issues. Yay for progress!

Reactions: pdx_m3s and IdaX
Heads up that voting is open again. Voted for Chemult as the current gap between Klamath Falls and Bend is ~140 miles. Appreciate your support!
And the gap between Springfield and Klamath Falls is 175 miles! This is a fairly common route for people going from the Portland area (or even Western WA) to Reno or Vegas. Chemult would be quite helpful for this route.

Reactions: finman100