TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Incredibly long repair time due to unavailability of parts - any hints?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by spotless, Feb 26, 2015.

1. spotless

spotless Member

#1 spotless, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    Hi there,

I'm based in Europe, and my S85 (P25***) was involved in a car accident on 6 Jan and needed serious inside- and outside- repair work (the side airbags deployed). We're now close to 2 months later and my car isn't ready yet, apparently because one part is still missing: the headliner. To be fair to Tesla I have to recognize that I jumped on the opportunity that the headliner needed to be replaced to upgrade (at my expense) from the tan cloth to a black Alcantara headliner (the option wasn't available when I ordered my car).

What I fail to understand is that the missing part has been ordered by the repair shop 3 weeks ago, but that not only it hasn't been delivered yet (apparently it has to be shipped from the US) but Tesla customer service pretends they can't give me any information about an ETA. I find this quite intriguing and was wondering if any forum members had hints as to what to do to speed up the process and/or get accurate information about the despatch time. Am I wrong in assuming any self-respecting car manufacturer of this league would be able to get this information? At least the manufacturers I have direct experience with could.

Thanks!

EDIT: Mods, realize this might not be the appropriate subforum but I didn't find a better one - pls move as needed. Thanks.

2. jpet

jpet Jan P.

Not sure the black Alcantara headliner has been available for cars without the auto pilot features. Maybe this plays a role? If I'm well informed, the headliner for cars with and without auto pilot is somewhat different.

3. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

4. iadbound

iadbound Member

The black headliner preceded the autopilot cars, but not by much.

5. santana338

santana338 Member

I think Lloyd is correct. It works in reverse too. My Honda dealer says there is 0 inventory of axles for a 2005 Odyssey in all of North America. My assumption is that these parts are made offshore somewhere and the port strike has left them without inventory.

6. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

A tale and a thought....

Back in the mid 70's I waited 4 months for a wiring harness to arrive from England to the US for a Jensen Interceptor.

now the thought...

A headliner is a bulky item, light in weight but it probably cannot be creased or folded. I suspect that that particular part is not all too commonly called for. And also the packaging material to get it to you in great condition is probably also not readily available ...
    read custom.

Sorry to hear you are out of commission... been there many a time.

7. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I read today that the west coast port strike is over. So hopefully goods will begin to start flowing soon.

8. Glitch

Glitch Member

yes it was available before auto pilot :)

9. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

I would have to say the least replaced part on any car is probably the headliner. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if it was made to order, meaning a looong wait.

10. spotless

spotless Member

I would agree with this if it wasn't to be replaced when the curtain airbags blow off ... I was almost standing still when a van probably driving 20-30 mph hit me in the left side, so not really a major car crash at first sight.