Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Indefinite delay on pw2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the link.

I noticed this line:
includes equipment that uses solar energy to generate electricity, to heat or cool (or provide hot water for use in) a structure
Since I'm getting solar and my Powerwalls installed later this month, I wonder if an evaporative cooler installed afterwards would be eligible for the tax credit as well. Hmm...

Sorry to hear about the delay. We've had our two units since August 2017 and they have been great to have. We have had some problems with regard to cooling pump failures but that is another story.

The main issues I'm having with Tesla Energy are the apparent lack of support staff for the installed base and production not keeping up with the demand.
I feel like the second item must largely be due to the seemingly endless "Tesla builds (this week's) largest battery in the world" headlines, etc. I certainly don't fault them for the humanitarian efforts (Puerto Rico) or making a profit (hopefully) with the giant batteries like those in Australia and soon to be in California. It all advances the cause of electrifying our power base with renewable technologies. However, and this is a big one, Tesla has, IMHO, routinely made supporting their existing customers a low priority. It would seem that this may be a blind spot for Mr. Musk. I understand the chicken and egg nature of building up support for a new innovative product but it seems like once a product is so incredibly successful as most of their products are, more effort needs to go into support.

The constant overextension of the company's ability to meet demand (Model 3, solar roof, powerwalls) makes me wonder what the future holds for those of us that have gotten on board the Tesla train.

It does surprise me that a company with such deep connections to AI as a tool doesn't use that to monitor and diagnose issues with their products. I know it isn't easy but it seems like it would pay big dividends in the long run to have an AI watch the data coming in to monitor for off normal performance and alert support and the owners of the issues. A case in point, the cooling pump failures for my two PW2 units. I noticed that one of my unit's had the cooling fan running full speed most of the time when there was a load or max charging as well as diminished output from the unit (1.5 kW vs 5 kW rated). It took several calls to support to get a higher tier support to log onto my unit and come up with "Yup, looks like a pump failure". If they can log on and remotely diagnose, couldn't an AI be programmed to take a peek then set a flag for human intervention? Seems like it would make for better support with less personnel.

All that being said, I'm still pretty happy with my Tesla products. the Model S has exceeded all expectations and the PW2 units have allowed us to get the most out of our solar system and reduce our power bills as well as giving us peace of mind that if PG&E cuts our power during fire season, we'll still be air conditioned and having a BBQ.

OK, I'm through wining now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have similar concerns regarding Tesla’s over extending and hope that the company can stabilize in the energy market. My biggest fear is investing in two Powerwalls and having problems with them and Tesla not being able to provide adequate servicing under the warranty. I also had a similar concern regarding collision repair on my Model S because parts were so scarce. I think that situation is slowly improving but fortunately I haven’t needed any collision repairs to really know what it is like in my area. I hope that you get the pumps on your Powerwalls fixed. Please keep us updated on the progress.

Sorry to hear about the delay. We've had our two units since August 2017 and they have been great to have. We have had some problems with regard to cooling pump failures but that is another story.

The main issues I'm having with Tesla Energy are the apparent lack of support staff for the installed base and production not keeping up with the demand.
I feel like the second item must largely be due to the seemingly endless "Tesla builds (this week's) largest battery in the world" headlines, etc. I certainly don't fault them for the humanitarian efforts (Puerto Rico) or making a profit (hopefully) with the giant batteries like those in Australia and soon to be in California. It all advances the cause of electrifying our power base with renewable technologies. However, and this is a big one, Tesla has, IMHO, routinely made supporting their existing customers a low priority. It would seem that this may be a blind spot for Mr. Musk. I understand the chicken and egg nature of building up support for a new innovative product but it seems like once a product is so incredibly successful as most of their products are, more effort needs to go into support.

The constant overextension of the company's ability to meet demand (Model 3, solar roof, powerwalls) makes me wonder what the future holds for those of us that have gotten on board the Tesla train.

It does surprise me that a company with such deep connections to AI as a tool doesn't use that to monitor and diagnose issues with their products. I know it isn't easy but it seems like it would pay big dividends in the long run to have an AI watch the data coming in to monitor for off normal performance and alert support and the owners of the issues. A case in point, the cooling pump failures for my two PW2 units. I noticed that one of my unit's had the cooling fan running full speed most of the time when there was a load or max charging as well as diminished output from the unit (1.5 kW vs 5 kW rated). It took several calls to support to get a higher tier support to log onto my unit and come up with "Yup, looks like a pump failure". If they can log on and remotely diagnose, couldn't an AI be programmed to take a peek then set a flag for human intervention? Seems like it would make for better support with less personnel.

All that being said, I'm still pretty happy with my Tesla products. the Model S has exceeded all expectations and the PW2 units have allowed us to get the most out of our solar system and reduce our power bills as well as giving us peace of mind that if PG&E cuts our power during fire season, we'll still be air conditioned and having a BBQ.

OK, I'm through wining now.