Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Indentation in top edge of windshield. Anyone else seeing this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still not finding much wrong with my MY, but I didn't see this potential issue until I came across the right angle/light and it caught my eye. I found a strange "indentation" in the top middle of my windshield, effectively making it lower in the middle for about 3-4 inches than the rest of the windshield. The overall roof glass seems to be aligned perfectly with the vehicle's roof line from the front to the hatch, so it doesn't seem like the roof glass is mounted poorly. I would say the overall roof glass is 1/32-1/16" higher across the entire front of the windshield. It has rained a little, but not while I was driving, so there hasn't been a good leak test yet. I'm going to try with a water bottle and see if that proves anything. I don't hear any major wind noise, but not sure what is 'major' yet with this being my first EV.

Is anyone else seeing this windshield issue? I didn't see it, and therefore didn't report during delivery, so I'm not sure if Tesla will reject replacing the windshield now, given there aren't any leaks that I know if yet?

Windshield_indent.jpg

I have mobile service scheduled to come out on Monday morning to adjust the both taillights, the charging flap, and fix the driver's side black window trim on the door (all called out during delivery), and while they are here, I'm going to show them the windshield indentation. I don't have time to take it to the SC right now, which I'm sure is where they will have to replace the windshield. I didn't call this out the indentation during delivery because I didn't see it, but seriously, this is a "defect in craftsmanship", which clearly should fall under warranty. Windshields cannot be "in spec" and have a significant indent/warp in the glass. I also won't be surprised if there is a backlog on windshields, and I don't want to let my car sit at the SC for 3+ weeks until a windshield come on. I'm hoping the mobile tech can give some advice on how to handle this, and IMO, a new windshield is a same-day replacement, like any other windshield I have ever had changed out in 30 years, most of the time, at my house, or my place of work by someone like Safelite.

Now that all my rear seat and hatch rattles are gone, I took a ride out for several miles on different stretches of highway to see if the windshield indentation is causing any wind noise. All the way through 70 mph, I have slight wind noise from the side view mirrors, but still lower noise than most cars I've owned before, including 4 2010 through 2017 BMW X5s. It is close to 100 degrees outside with the heat index, and little to no wind.

To rule out the indentation in the windshield as causing wind noise, I went back home and ran a piece of electrical tape across the entire seam between the roof glass and windshield and went back out on the same highway journey. I found no change in wind noise, so I'm convinced the little bit of wind noise I do hear is not caused by the indentation in the windshield. I'm still going to have mobile service take a look at it and I want to log the issue, but may hold off on getting a new windshield for a few months, as I am concerned having my SC replace the windshield right now feels to me like it may be a beta test this early in production.

UPDATE: Just got my MY back from the SC today and they replaced both the glass roof and the windshield to fix the windshield indentation. They said it was both a windshield defect and the roof glass wasn't installed level or far down enough.

After the replacement, windshield top curve is perfect, and the gaps at the top of the windshield and roof glass are even and tight now, as well as the rear of the glass roof to the hatch glass. Much happier now, and a bonus that I noticed while driving home that it was definitely more quiet on the highway without the wind noise I was hearing previously. Will add pics soon...