Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Independence, KS to Southavenm MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having picked up a Model X 90D, I was wondering if this trip is possible. I am planning to travel later this year from Independence, KS to Southaven, MS.

Is this doable? Or will I have to use an ICE vehicle?

It's definitely doable, although if you wanted to use Superchargers you'd have to go way out of your way, almost tripling the distance. If you haven't already, check out plugshare.com and evtripplanner.com, very useful planning tools. Plugshare particularly in this case as it provides info for non-tesla chargers. I would roughly estimate you'd be looking at about a 10 hour drive going the direct route, allowing 7 hours of driving time and 3 hours of charging time, stopping in Springfield MO where there's some Tesla wall chargers available, looks like an 80amp one at Houlihans which would get you about 60miles or range per hour, so you would probably need to stay for a couple hours. Then on to St. Michael's Nursery in West Plains, MO (you would want to call ahead first and make sure it's available). It's only a 50amp charger, so about 29miles per hour I think, again would need to hang out for a while, then on to Southaven. It's a bit more of an adventure in areas like this not served by superchargers, but you could do it!

Reactions: Vizir
Thanks for the info. I'd be charging to 100% at each stop, right? Would it be better to make more frequent, but shorter stops? Like, stopping at Joplin, Springfield, St Michaels Nursery and Jonesboro. It appears that for supercharger travel, this is the recommended solution, to make shorter stops to top off the battery to be able to get to the next supercharger.

No, you do not want to top off the battery at superchargers unless you actually need the 100% range to get to the next stop. Charging the last 20% takes as long as the first 80%. Don't wait around to charge past 80% unless you really need it.

I believe the consensus is that you only want to charge until you have a safe buffer to reach your next charging point. For some people that's 10%, for others 25%, you can decide what makes you comfortable, but essentially while charging you just want to input your next destination and then the trip energy view will show you your estimated remaining charge upon arrival, once that reaches your comfort zone, off you go. Its 185 miles from West Plains to Southaven, so depending on your config, that would only require about an 85% charge. Certainly wouldn't hurt to take a break in Jonesboro and pick up a little more juice though. :) I like to think of it as a fun challenge, more like flight planning, when you get to make a trip through "uncharted territory".

That's a very tough trip at this point in time. As others suggested, take a look at Plugshare, consider buying or borrowing a CHAdeMO adapter (there's a CHAdeMO in Rogers, AR now), and try to figure out where you could overnight and top up and such. There are no superchargers anywhere along the route. There are J1772 and some Destination chargers. If you can be leisurely, it's doable, if you want to get there fast, I wouldn't bother.

There are several Superchargers in Missouri that have been recently permitted or where construction has started. This trip would be a lot easier once those Superchargers are in operation. Hopefully they'll be adding Memphis soon as well.

I do have a chademo adapter, and if the Springfield MO charger is functional at that point, it will certainly save me a lot of time. beyond that it's all slow charging till Southaven Nissan which seems to have chademo. superchargers from OKC -> Memphis along I40 would be quite welcome.

Unless I was in no rush, I wouldn't do it. But if you do, one thing people including myself repeatedly forget: one of your best charging options is a 50 amp RV plug, which most camp and RV locations will have. allstays.com is a good website for that. You can charge at one of them faster than almost any other AC charging station.