Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Independent Fuel Stations and EV charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking would the independent fuel stations be a possible candidate for discussions with EV manufacturers to install,charging stations and even superchargers? I was thinking they are simply supply stations and they make money from the fuel they sell and most importantly from food and beverages etc. Allow EV companies to install charging stations at their fuel stations, including Tesla they would get a percent of any charge for the electricity and attract customers for the food and beverages, so when we finally transition to BEV they remain viable. This would mean covering the distances between,Perth and Adelaide and Adelaide and Darwin would be easier? Just a thought.

I understand that the margins for the sale of Petrol and Diesel are very small, which is why most look more like a convenience store with Petrol station attached. Getting people in to buy the overpriced junk is the way they make a profit.
However the liquid fuels are the 'bait' and the more attractive, read lower price, the bait the more customers and convenience store sales.
I think there would be a degree of not wanting to upset their fuel wholesaler by installing competing EV charging technology for fear of not being offered cheap fuel.
That said, at some point in the future, when EVs are more common a tipping point will happen and many stations will install EVSEs, just not for a while (10+ years) yet.
Feel free to tell me I'm wrong and it will happen sooner. ;)

A lot of the independent fuel stations don't usually have better facilities compared to the big fuel companies like BP etc.
They say they don't make much from the fuel per litre but they do sell a lot of it.

I'm not sure the bigger companies will ever have EV chargers, it might be up to someone else to open a chain of outlets
that have fast chargers (solar & battery storage of coarse), good food, & something to do for an hour or so.

I understand that the margins for the sale of Petrol and Diesel are very small, which is why most look more like a convenience store with Petrol station attached. Getting people in to buy the overpriced junk is the way they make a profit.
However the liquid fuels are the 'bait' and the more attractive, read lower price, the bait the more customers and convenience store sales.
I think there would be a degree of not wanting to upset their fuel wholesaler by installing competing EV charging technology for fear of not being offered cheap fuel.
That said, at some point in the future, when EVs are more common a tipping point will happen and many stations will install EVSEs, just not for a while (10+ years) yet.
Feel free to tell me I'm wrong and it will happen sooner. ;)
Tipping point 2022 (five years).

Thanks guys, yes that is what I was thinking Miggy for Australia. I think it would be great if the fuel stations in more remote places, offered these as Australia is a different kettle of fish compared to Europe and the US. So much space so few people and towns.

oo Ah Aye, never had electric pumps, had to pump by hand and watch glass fill oop.
There's two aliens who land in far outback Australia. One is experienced. Been around the galaxy a few times and made a few first contacts.
They go off in search of the locals and after a bit of a walk, they come across on of those really, really old servos, with the antique hand pump bowser where the hose is wrapped around the bowser before sticking the nozzle into a receptacle on the side. (Youngsters can google these images, btw)
The young alien walks up to the antique petrol bowser and says, "Take me to your leader." (what else, we're in a joke universe).
...silence...
The young alien asks again...silence.
The young alien starts to become annoyed, and draws his ray gun.
At which point the older, more experienced alien, says, "Careful, some of these new species can have physical powers we haven't seen. Don't get him angry."
The young alien ignores this advice and says, "Take me to your leader, or I fire!"
...silence...
The young alien fires.
There is a huge explosion.
The older alien finds himself 50 metres away, a little singed, but otherwise OK (very tough these aliens). He goes off in search of the younger alien and eventually finds him, also a little singed, in the opposite direction also about 50 metres away.
The young alien coughs and splutters and spits out some dirt and says, "Bloody heck, you were right! Unusually powerful. How did you know?"
The old alien replies, "Son, when you've been around the galaxy as much as I have, you know that a species that can wrap its dick around itself twice and stick it in its ear is a species to be reckoned with!"

Last edited:
You need to separate the various "big oil" business streams. From an extraction, refinement and supply perspective, yes they will absolutely want to keep their monopolies and reliance on fossil fuels. There is no doubt about that. To that end they will try and promote hydrogen because it requires more capital intensive infrastructure and therefore is more suited to the bigger players.

However, their "downstream assets" (ie their retail locations) couldn't give a toss about what they pump into cars, and in fact for most places in Australia at most times they make very little margin on the fuel. Many of these retailers are owned by small business owners who have franchise rights. These guys are looking for any way to get people into their stores and don't really care whether it's electrons, hydrogen, diesel or petrol. As a result, there will be pressure to put in charging infrastructure to capture the EV crowd. And to be honest with you, 1 or 2 high powered, 150kW - 350kW stations per site is really not a big deal for "big oil" to facilitate. So in that way, for very little capital investment they can push their political agenda at the supply end, but simultaneously hedge their bets at the downstream side.

We don't need a crystal ball, it's already happening overseas, and it will happen here too.

You need to separate the various "big oil" business streams. From an extraction, refinement and supply perspective, yes they will absolutely want to keep their monopolies and reliance on fossil fuels. There is no doubt about that. To that end they will try and promote hydrogen because it requires more capital intensive infrastructure and therefore is more suited to the bigger players.

However, their "downstream assets" (ie their retail locations) couldn't give a toss about what they pump into cars, and in fact for most places in Australia at most times they make very little margin on the fuel. Many of these retailers are owned by small business owners who have franchise rights. These guys are looking for any way to get people into their stores and don't really care whether it's electrons, hydrogen, diesel or petrol. As a result, there will be pressure to put in charging infrastructure to capture the EV crowd. And to be honest with you, 1 or 2 high powered, 150kW - 350kW stations per site is really not a big deal for "big oil" to facilitate. So in that way, for very little capital investment they can push their political agenda at the supply end, but simultaneously hedge their bets at the downstream side.

We don't need a crystal ball, it's already happening overseas, and it will happen here too.
Be nice to separate 'big oil' totally from the rest of society.