TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Independent Roadster Service & Repair Shops

Discussion in 'Roadster 2008-2012' started by Roadster, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Roadster

Roadster JdeMO Powered

I don't believe we have a running list of these so let's compile them in one thread. Below are the ones I'm aware of in the U.S. at the moment. If there are any others I've missed or as new ones are discovered, please feel free to add them.

NOTE: only list shops we've confirmed have the knowledge, personnel and resources to service, support and/or repair our cars. EU, AU, HK and JP owners feel free to contribute as well.

grubermotorcompany.png
    Gruber Motor Company
    21 W Lone Cactus Dr.
    Phoenix, AZ 85027 United States
    Toll Free: (800) 658-5883
    Phone: (602) 863-2655
    Fax: (602) 257-4313
    Owner: Pete Gruber
    Email: [email protected]
    TMC Contact(s): @petergrub, @racevpr

Business Hours
    Mon: 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM
    Tue: 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM
    Wed: 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM
    Thu: 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM
    Fri: 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM
    Sat: Closed
    Sun: Closed

executivemotorwerkz.png
    Executive Motorwerkz
    14117 S Western Ave. Unit C
    Gardena, CA 90249 United States
    Phone: (323) 577-9706
    Owner: Javier Ramirez
    TMC Contact(s): @ExecMotorwerkz

Business Hours
    Mon: 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
    Tue: 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
    Wed: 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
    Thu: 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
    Fri: 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
    Sat: 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM

medlockandsons.png
    Medlock & Sons Tesla and EV Service Center
    1505 SW 112th St.
    Seattle, WA 98146 United States
    Phone: N/A (@mods please update once known)
    Owner: Carl Medlock
    TMC Contact(s): @CM_007

Business Hours
    Mon: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
    Tue: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
    Wed: 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
    Thu: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
    Fri: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
    Sat: Closed

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. Roadster

Roadster JdeMO Powered

Some recent videos on Gruber and Medlock respectively:

3. LeoNordic

LeoNordic Member

I Think I have read something about a Company called "GS Technology" i Switzerland or something like that. Anyone elese know?

There are also some that say that "Autoskadestuen" in Denmark does some repairs on Roadster. Got a post on Facebokk from someone working there saying that they work on Roadsters. Anyone kelse know?

• Helpful x 1
  4. DrivingTheFuture

No Midwest or east coast? Does anyone know if any of these guys are willing to be flown out to vehicles? Much cheaper to ship a person than a car

5. backmost

backmost Member

I definitely would be open to that, would include meals and beer!

• Like x 1
  6. im4uttx

im4uttx Supporting Member

The flip side of that is to have all the tools and parts required to make repairs "on the road" for the repair guy. Seems like most issues are related to PEM service, poor workmanship in taking it apart and putting it back together, causing more issues. Many of the owners here already do their own PEM cleaning, probably due to lack of capability locally to them, as much as anything else.

PEM cleaning takes a couple hours, probably, for an experienced service guy, all tools in place, etc. Is it worth much more than the $600 Tesla charges to make sure it's done correctly?

Now, if the repairs are more extensive, for any of a variety of reasons, then, it might be possible to fly an expert in, or better yet, have a "moblle service" setup with all needed equipment and road trip across the country to do scheduled repairs. Anything special needed for a repair would get shipped overnight to complete the repair as soon as possible.

But, finding someone who is willing to travel to do work on roadsters might be difficult...

The low number of roadsters generally means there isn't going to be enough work on roadsters alone to make it worthwhile for someone to do this as a stand-alone business, unless all roadster owners in an area group together to have work done at a specific time and have an expert come in for a couple weeks to a repair facility willing to allow this expert to use their facility.

It's a nice idea, but not sure how feasible it would be....sadly.

7. gregd

gregd Active Member

If there are, say, a thousand Roadsters still operational in the US, that's still 3/day that could "need" some form of annual service, if only to change the fluids that have been sitting for the past years. A roving team of well trained mechanics could certainly make a go of it. Sort of a traveling minstrel show, touring the country, keeping our beloved cars on the road. I certainly would pay considerably more to have my car serviced by someone I know will do it right, and not leave it out in the sun for days until they get around to it. This is not a "shade tree" sort of car.

• Funny x 1
  8. shrink

shrink Supporting Member

I know Javier traveled to AZ a few months ago to do some work on a Roadster out here (not mine). Tony Williams used to travel to install the Roadster CHAdeMO modification.

It certainly can’t be a standalone business but perhaps a scheduling regional trips for enough owners in an area could be more viable at some point?

That’s for our cherished experts to decide.

I’m personally struggling with this. I had planned on moving my Roadster to the Big Island of Hawaii earlier this year until I experienced my Tesla SC-induced PEM issues. Now, I’m not comfortable having my Roadster too far away from Gruber’s support. Service in Hawaii would be via a mobile tech from Honolulu with questionable Roadster experience. I still don’t know what I’m going to do, but I’m very disappointed lack of confidence in Tesla’s Roadster support is stopping me from moving the Roadster to Hawaii, where it would be incredibly fun and in a less harsh environment than the Phoenix desert.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. DanielFriederich

There's GS Technology in Berg, Switzerland
    I had my PEM repaired there - good work

There's warden_clyffe (Conrad Buck) in the mid of Germany doing Roadster work (like PEM insulation eg)
    He meanwhile fixed quite a few Roadsters

• Like x 2
  10. thomas.rueesch

• Informative x 1
  11. ExecMotorwerkz

Hello Everyone yes I can travel to perform work on roadsters will just need to work around the schedule to slow the shop down while I'm traveling

• Like x 1
  12. ExecMotorwerkz

Also we are expanding to a bigger location grand opening coming soon will keep you guys updated

• Like x 1
  13. im4uttx

im4uttx Supporting Member

Only thing left is to open "destination" repair facilities... :)

14. shrink

shrink Supporting Member

Would you be willing to fly to Kona if I ship my Roadster out there? :) I have plenty of frequent flyer miles on Hawaiian Airlines...

• Like x 1
  15. ExecMotorwerkz

Yes would gladly go it's been years since I've been to the islands to service cars back in Tesla days

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  16. hmbprius

hmbprius Supporting Member

Hope you or someone opens a northern CA shop soon....lots of tesla's up here but service well, seemingly a challenge even with 3 options......

17. hmbprius

hmbprius Supporting Member

And we are close to wine country ;):cool:

18. X.l.r.8

X.l.r.8 Supporting Member

I home they vine north, there’s 3 of us :( but I don’t think that’s the best business plan

19. rudholm

rudholm Member

How do you even make a service request with Tesla? The app doesn't support Roadsters and you can't make appointments by phone anymore.

20. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Walnut/Pomona service center in Southern California is where they do Roadsters...