Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Indiana bill 1592 - Take Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this doesn't take a political spin out of control....note that this is sponsored by 2 Republicans and 2 Democrats - crony capitalism sees no political parties.

Here is the story:
Briggs: Indiana bill that doesn't mention Tesla is all about Tesla

Here is how Tesla recommends taking action:
Take Action

I just picked up my model S on Saturday and had to drive from Indianapolis to Ohio to pick up the car.....ridiculous.

Too bad the site would not allow me to join the campaign.

Here is my text, though, which raises some points not mentioned in the Free Market Indiana site. It is helpful if content differs, since legislative staff tend to discard messages that appear to be just cut and pasted.

I am writing today to urge you to support the free market in Indiana and oppose House Bill 1592 which seeks to prohibit the direct to consumer sales model used by auto manufacturers like Tesla. Arguments that this bill is meant to protect consumers are specious. It is meant to protect a few auto dealers and large automobile manufacturers (who send jobs and profits to other countries) from competition by a tiny domestic competitor.

Tesla is an American company that manufactures high quality electric vehicles in the United States using the highest percentage of US-made content in the auto industry. Now, even their batteries are made in America. Competing automakers and dealers are trying to cripple a start-up competitor (with less than one fifth of 1% market share) by forcing Tesla to use their antiquated and inefficient franchised dealer business model.

Tesla sells its vehicles direct to consumers instead of using a franchised dealer network because they must have electric-knowledgeable staff to undertake the time-consuming task of educating customers about electric cars. They know that no franchised dealer could survive on the low volume of Tesla sales alone, and dealers selling traditional gasoline cars will not spend the time, and effort to promote the more difficult sales of electrics. A visit to any Chevrolet or Nissan dealer (those few that even offer electrics) reveals that finding an electric-knowledgeable sales person is almost impossible. Sales people work on commission and will naturally concentrate their efforts on the easy and fast sales. Who can blame them?

This bill is not about making a level playing field. Quite the opposite. Tesla made the choice to sell directly-to-consumers, a choice which has been completely permitted by Indiana law since 1991. Other automakers use franchised dealers. The government should not intervene in this free market that is already working.

Thank you for opposing this damaging piece of legislation.

Reactions: pilotSteve
How awesome is this response...my representative sent this from his iPad - probably not canned!

"Brandon - Thanks for taking the time to share your comments. I agree with you, and I'm disappointed that some of my colleagues think this is good legislation.

I appreciate hearing from you.

Jerry Torr

Sent from my iPad"

I made sure to add a paragraph before the canned message and one after to personalize it.

Update!! the bill didn't even get out of committee. Just got this email from Tesla:

Dear Brandon,

We celebrated a victory yesterday!

Lawmakers held their first committee hearing on HB 1592 -- legislation that had the potential to close Tesla's doors in Indiana. Fortunately, Tesla owners and supporters took action prior to the hearing and let lawmakers know that they support a free market in our state.

Email Representative Soliday and thank him for supporting Tesla today.

Representative Edmond Soliday heard their voices and amended the bill to protect and support Tesla. This is a direct result of everyday people taking action to stand up for consumer choice.

We are looking forward to continuing to bring innovation to Indiana and we'll need you to continue speaking out as HB 1592 moves to a floor vote.

Something that hasn't been clear to me - did this bill die completely (my preference), or has it moved forward but with the Tesla exemption?

My hope is that it just simply died. I very much do not want to see special Tesla rules written into laws hither and yon. They have the immediate beneficial effect that Tesla can do business, but they also put the company into a regulatory capture situation of their own - will it be Tesla showing up in 20 years playing the role of GM and advocating for some other business to not get a license to conduct business in a reasonable fashion that happens to be how they want? Does Tesla use it's special position to exclude others? (As others have been trying to do to Tesla?)

It's the nature of these sorts of laws to create these kinds of perverse outcomes - thus my hope that it just went off to die.