Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Indiana HB1592 - to shut out direct sales after 1000 vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has this been posted yet?

HB 1592 summary as follows:

Automobile sales requirements. Provides that a manufacturer may engage in sales directly to the public only if the manufacturer meets certain requirements. Provides that a manufacturer can no longer engage in sales directly to the public after the earlier of: (1) reaching 1,000 units in cumulative annual sales; or (2) six years after the initial dealer's license is granted.

I'll be tracking everything in the google doc at:

IN.TeslaDSM.org

Find your Legislator

Find your Legislator - Indiana General Assembly, 2017 Session

HB 1592 page

House Bill 1592 - Automobile sales requirements

Thanks for the update. We need to remain vigilant on this. Do we have any documents from the study committee formed last year?

Also, why is that bipartisan efforts so rarely focus on increasing freedoms but instead on restricting them?

Provides that a manufacturer can no longer engage in sales directly to the public after the earlier of: (1) reaching 1,000 units in cumulative annual sales; or (2) six years after the initial dealer's license is granted.
Wow. Talk about a completely irrational law. What possible logical justification could be offered for such a requirement?

I realize that this law is driven by bribes to state legislators, labeled as "campaign finance contributions". But this is one of the craziest auto manufacturer direct sales restrictions I have ever heard of.

If you want to contact your representative, this link will help you: Find your Legislator - Indiana General Assembly, 2017 Session

Address for all:
200 W. Washington Street
Indianapolis, IN 46204​

Bill author:
Edmond Soliday, R-4th District
800-382-9841​

And twitter:
Edmond Soliday (bill author): @RepSoliday
Philip GiaQuinta (co-author): @PhilGiaQuinta

Indiana House Democrats: @inhsedems
Indiana Legislature: @INlegis​

Post your tweets here (or a link) so we can all retweet and amplify.

Here is some background I found from last year. The bill can be explained in two letters-- GM. It couldn't get a complete ban passed last year so apparently it's trying again with a bill that would have the same effect eventually but with a small change that might pick up a few votes.
http://www.indystar.com/story/money...tesla-sales-indiana-wont-go-forward/80920598/

Whenever the auto dealers cartel or GM spouts the "fairness" argument, hold on to your wallet.

IMG_1388.jpg

Oh look, my rep serves on this committee. Time to get in touch!

If you want to contact your representative, this link will help you: Find your Legislator - Indiana General Assembly, 2017 Session

Address for all:
200 W. Washington Street
Indianapolis, IN 46204​

Bill author:
Edmond Soliday, R-4th District
800-382-9841​

And twitter:
Edmond Soliday (bill author): @RepSoliday
Philip GiaQuinta (co-author): @PhilGiaQuinta

Indiana House Democrats: @inhsedems
Indiana Legislature: @INlegis​

Post your tweets here (or a link) so we can all retweet and amplify.
Thank you for showing your support for Tesla in Indiana by signing our petition. It’s clear that consumer choice and economic freedom are values that you and many of your neighbors support.

We need more people like you,

Will you help protect the free market in Indiana by posting on Facebook and inviting your friends to join us?

We really appreciate you taking the time to stand up for continued innovation. Together, we’ll keep Tesla in Indiana.

Share the petition with friends and family on Facebook now:

https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A//freemarketindiana.com/sign

Thank you,

Free Market Indiana team
Home

Last edited:
Reactions: rabar10
Was happy to see a piece on the local Indianapolis morning news re: this bill going to committee today. Called out Tesla as the unnamed target, identified it as largely protectionist from existing dealers and manufacturers. Some poor dealer shill tried to say "oh this is about fly-by-night manufacturers from India and China too", which sounded just as ridiculous on-air as you would imagine.

Some poor dealer shill tried to say "oh this is about fly-by-night manufacturers from India and China too", which sounded just as ridiculous on-air as you would imagine.

Yeah, they played the "China dumping cars on us" card last year, was mentioned several times during the final committee meeting. And yes, it sounded ridiculous. Check out the last minute of the clip below. It's the closing statement of James Buck, committee chair, on the 2016 bill that went to summer study.

As for the Roads and Transportation committee meeting today, the live stream on the IGA website is here:

Indiana General Assembly, 2017 Session

But I'll also be relaying it through youtube live, so there is an instant, easy access archive of it. You can also watch live via youtube here:

And as always, all links are on the google doc here:

IN.TeslaDSM.org

Indiana House roads chairman pledges to rework Tesla bill

Ind. Rep on so-called 'Tesla bill': 'It's not about Tesla'

Some updates

And sorry about the youtube live relay. The audio wasn't getting through (though it did yesterday in testing oddly). I'll get the recording off the IGA archive server as soon as it's posted and add to youtube.
Thanks! From the second article:
Soliday decided to delay the vote for his controversial bill at Wednesday's meeting of the Indiana House Committee on Roads and Transportation.
The committee plans to meet Thursday at 8:30 a.m.

If what I just heard them say is correct, the bill has been amended to 'grandfather' in Tesla. I don't know if that means Tesla is completely exempt from it but it sounds like it. Amended bill passed committee 9-1 to move forward but has yet to be posted publicly on the website.

YouTube link to the morning proceedings and vote (how's that for fast!)

EDIT: Amendment is posted here:

https://iga.in.gov/static-documents/2/8/a/b/28ab2bad/HB1592.01.INTR.AMH05.pdf

Last edited: