Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Indiana Owners - Alert - Info on Hearing 2/25

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bonnie

I play a nice person on twitter.
Feb 6, 2011
Columbia River Gorge
Tesla needs your help on this one. As you all know, GM is pushing a bill (HB1254) through the state legislature to stop Tesla from continuing to lawfully sell cars in the state. Hopefully a lot of you have contacted your local representative - but I can't stress enough the power of 'in person'. Letters aren't visible to the media. You standing there, even if not speaking, is visible support and has made a difference in other states.

You can make a difference in Indiana.

This week's hearing (GM will be testifying):
9am - Thursday, 2/25
Indianapolis Capitol Building, Room 233 (
200 W Washington St)

You will need to go through metal detectors, so please try to get there early. Ideally, 8am, so you can be in the room by 8:30 & legislators can see Tesla customers (wear your Tesla gear!).

It would be fantastic if Indiana owners could coordinate and get your cars parked together where people would see them. Media loves displays like that.

If you want more information on this, check out these threads:

Indiana - HB1254 to Shut Tesla out of the state!
GM More Dirty Tricks Again

hb1254videoss2.png

Here is the video of last week's testimony in the Commerce & Technology Committee Video Link.

Select "Thursday, Feb. 18" on the dropdown menu. Testimony on HB1254 begins at 2:32:30.

Listening to the comments and questions from the committee members is very informative and demonstrates how tough it's going to be for Tesla in the Indiana Legislature.

There are about a half dozen people, mainly Tesla owners, who spoke against the bill. At the very end of the video, the chairman says that the committee will only hear testimony from those in favor of the bill next Thursday.

Perhaps they will change their mind and hear both sides if enough people show up.

Lanny

I can be there for the visual parking display -- who else is in? Where to park? I'm blue -- can we get a red and white? #merica :)

Hope you find some more Tesla owners to coordinate with.

It would be great if you can post photos and live updates as it is happening to be the eyes and ears of those of us who can't be there in person but will be in spirit.

Does anyone know the latest status of the committee meeting tomorrow? Specifically, are we going as a group and should we be prepared to speak?

Al,

You might want to call the Senate Commerce & Technology Committee today and see what the agenda is for tomorrow.

At the end of the testimony last week, the Chairman stated that he plans to hear only from those who support the bill (Tesla opposes) on Thursday. I would ask them if that is subject to change.

Lanny

Incompressible to me that folks don't realize Tesla's are made in America too! If Tesla sold gas guzzling SUVs instead of electric cars I have no doubt Indiana would reject the proposal outright. But electric cars are anti big oil and corporate America so we must stop them.

Al,

You might want to call the Senate Commerce & Technology Committee today and see what the agenda is for tomorrow.

At the end of the testimony last week, the Chairman stated that he plans to hear only from those who support the bill (Tesla opposes) on Thursday. I would ask them if that is subject to change.

Lanny

Even just being in the front row, wearing Tesla gear - with Teslas parked outside will get attention. Some media will be present.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know the latest status of the committee meeting tomorrow? Specifically, are we going as a group and should we be prepared to speak?

I can be there for the visual parking display -- who else is in? Where to park? I'm blue -- can we get a red and white? #merica :)

I've also had a couple of responses on twitter indicating that those owners will be present. And someone should reach out to eyemdphd who posted in another thread that he was going (I gave him a link to here).

Just entered comment 426. Spent the morning composing email to state senator. There is a bill in the Indiana legislature, being supported by General Motors, to end manufacturer sales by 12/31/2017. Directly aimed at Tesla sales here. Will be chatting this up locally over the next few days and weeks as the learned legislators position themselves on this bill.

If someone will pick a meeting spot/time for photos, I'll tweet it out :).

I just spoke with my State Senator

I just had an hour long phone conversation with my State Senator and committee member, Jean Leising. She did not commit to an up or down vote. However, I got the VERY strong impression that she understands what is happening and does not want to stand in the way of free enterprise. The main argument she has heard is related to level of service. I did all I could to allay any fears she had about Tesla service not being outstanding.
My overall feeling about the phone call was that I will be shocked (disappointed and disallusioned as well) if she ends up voting for the bill or amendment in any form.

I just had an hour long phone conversation with my State Senator and committee member, Jean Leising. She did not commit to an up or down vote. However, I got the VERY strong impression that she understands what is happening and does not want to stand in the way of free enterprise. The main argument she has heard is related to level of service. I did all I could to allay any fears she had about Tesla service not being outstanding.
My overall feeling about the phone call was that I will be shocked (disappointed and disallusioned as well) if she ends up voting for the bill or amendment in any form.
Thank you for contacting your State Senator. I have updated the spreadsheet with your input. It doesn't look good for us overall so far. I don't think there's a lot of ill intent, just misunderstanding of the history of the dealership model. Only a few are obvious GM shills.

Thank you for contacting your State Senator. I have updated the spreadsheet with your input. It doesn't look good for us overall so far. I don't think there's a lot of ill intent, just misunderstanding of the history of the dealership model. Only a few are obvious GM shills.

Not a surprise that they don't really understand - GM has been busy pitching this as closing a loophole for Tesla and making the playing field level. Sounds reasonable. Except it's not true.

All you have to do is look at their quotes in media articles - consistent messaging. Eventually some people will believe it.

Not a surprise that they don't really understand - GM has been busy pitching this as closing a loophole for Tesla and making the playing field level. Sounds reasonable. Except it's not true.

All you have to do is look at their quotes in media articles - consistent messaging. Eventually some people will believe it.

^^^This.
Senator and Rep are part time jobs in Indiana. My Senator is a remarkable, intelligent woman who is really a farmer who raised her kids and ran the farm after her husband was killed in an accident. Her knowledge of the car, the company, and the sales/service model was nil or extremely limited. She was actually glad I called. She's been in the Statehouse long enough to smell the stink of lobbyists but had not heard much from the other side. She had many questions hence the long phone call even though she is in session.
This experience made me realize that contacting these people and attempting to get the point across in a common sense, but no nonsense way is very important. The shills will always be there. The key is to educate the folks that are just trying to do the right thing but are unaware because they are surrounded by lobbyists.

But isn't it her job to educate herself? If she know very little about the car, the company and the sales/service model, then it would behoove her to go investigate before making a decision. Like call up the closest Tesla gallery/store/SC, make an appointment, test drive the car, talk to employees, try and track down an owner etc., etc., To me that would be common sense, part time job or not. Of course this isn't to say that *we* shouldn't also help the learning curve along, just that she has a responsibility too.

A humorous (in a decidedly creepy sort of way) aside.

Less than 24 hours after my post about my phone call with my State Senator I get one if those emails that the "Business Development Coordinator at GM US Greater NYC area" wants to join my LinkedIn Network.
How gross! Like that's EVER gonna happen. If you GM people are reading this: You disgust me. Leave me alone.
I need a shower.

- - - Updated - - -

But isn't it her job to educate herself? If she know very little about the car, the company and the sales/service model, then it would behoove her to go investigate before making a decision. Like call up the closest Tesla gallery/store/SC, make an appointment, test drive the car, talk to employees, try and track down an owner etc., etc., To me that would be common sense, part time job or not. Of course this isn't to say that *we* shouldn't also help the learning curve along, just that she has a responsibility too.

No doubt. I don't disagree. It's not a perfect system or a perfect world. It IS frustrating for people that care. I DO truly believe that she's doing the best she can. It's a short session and she's inundated with bills. Many (most?) are written by lobbyists. She's doing all this while trying to make sure her equipment is ready for Spring planting from long distance. She was glad I called and we talked for a very long time given her time compressed schedule.
My point is still the same. My takeaway is that our calls, emails, and personal contacts can make a huge difference. The alternative may be that they only hear lies and nonsense from lobbyists.