Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Indiana Tesla owners and future owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are a Tesla owner in Indiana, you probably received the letter from Tesla about GM's attempt to block future sells here. Although I posted my response in another thread (here), I thought some of the Indiana folks in this thread might not be on the Tesla mailing list and will want to consider sending an email to their representatives. Here is what I sent to mine:

Please consider opposing HB1254/amendment 3 so that Tesla, America’s most innovative car company, can continue to sell in the state of Indiana. We should be proud to have an American company that is now outselling Mercedes with an all-electric vehicle. Instead, General Motors is pushing for this bill so they can have less competition in the marketplace. Also note that Tesla has plans to construct a 26,000 square foot Tesla Service facility that will employ Indiana residents and currently buys over $42M of parts from Indiana suppliers. As a Tesla owner, I’m proud to drive a car which shows America as a leader in automotive technology. Thanks!

We're going in for a test drive of a Model S tomorrow. My biggest reservation is the lack of a local (i.e., even Indiana, let alone Lafayette) service center. What do people do around here (Indiana) if their Teslas need service?
Drive all the way to Chicago? What if there's a problem that makes the car undrivable, or at least not practical to drive that far? A warranty you can't practically use doesn't seem like it's worth all that much.
Otoh, the presence of a SC less than three miles from my house seems like a sign :)

- Roger

We're going in for a test drive of a Model S tomorrow. My biggest reservation is the lack of a local (i.e., even Indiana, let alone Lafayette) service center. What do people do around here (Indiana) if their Teslas need service?
Drive all the way to Chicago? What if there's a problem that makes the car undrivable, or at least not practical to drive that far? A warranty you can't practically use doesn't seem like it's worth all that much.
Otoh, the presence of a SC less than three miles from my house seems like a sign :)

- Roger
I'm not an owner, but the Service Center team in Indianapolis testified at the General Assembly. They rent out part of a local body shop to do their work, and they're among the highest rated Service Center by customer satisfaction ratings.

It's off the (long distance) truck! It's in Chicago!! Final inspection and detailing!!!
Ironically, I'm going to be in Chicago this weekend, but not to pick my the Tesla.
I hope it isn't pouring rain like today when they deliver it next week (though I hear
the 'D' traction on wet roads is nothing short of amazing).

Hey Indiana - heads up if you haven't seen the news, personalized plates are back as of April 1. Ordered mine at 2am last night after the Model 3 stream. It confirms availability and shows your plate as well. Got my university plate, 6 characters. 7 + a space on regular plates. 10 days in the mail!

After the recent Champaign, IL Supercharger 'opening' meet-up, jvonbokel mentioned that there are a few people from the St. Louis and Chicago areas that would be interested in doing another get-together and lunch, this time in Terre Haute.

I'm in -- happy to see my hometown make it onto the Supercharger map! Would have to drive my wife's ICE, since my Focus Electric won't get me there and back without spending all day charging at campgrounds, and my Model 3 for some reason hasn't yet been delivered ;)

Anyone else interested in a Terre Haute Supercharger 'christening'/lunch?

For those that live in Northern Indiana...wanted to ask about your experience with winter driving and if getting a D model significantly improved traction/etc along with what your experience has been with winter driving in the Model S.

Yes, I have read about all the testing done in Norway. I'm sure that on those surfaces, it does great. I'm thinking standard Indiana ice storms/snow/potholes/sanded roads/etc....

For those that live in Northern Indiana...wanted to ask about your experience with winter driving and if getting a D model significantly improved traction/etc along with what your experience has been with winter driving in the Model S.

Yes, I have read about all the testing done in Norway. I'm sure that on those surfaces, it does great. I'm thinking standard Indiana ice storms/snow/potholes/sanded roads/etc....
Haven't been through my first winter with it yet, but the D felt great on wet roads -- nailed to the road. I'm not worried about traction
issues, but the low ground clearance may be an issue on heavier snow days.

I figured on wet roads it would be just fine. My concern is if this is a four season car (which all the testing/marketing says it is) but I wanted to get a bit more feedback from regular owners to see what hiccups they have had.

The thing that has really sold me on Tesla to me is seeing these updates get pushed out for all sorts of systems. Something no other car maker seems capable of.

Obviously I WANT Autopilot, the rest of the items are exceptionally nice but I never thought I would seriously consider buying a $70k vehicle in my lifetime. It's a big sell to myself internally and really want to make sure it's the right choice.

The thing that has really sold me on Tesla to me is seeing these updates get pushed out for all sorts of systems.
Yeah, when they air-dropped those new tires that was pretty awesome, though it took a while for them to stop bouncing ;)

I never thought I would seriously consider buying a $70k vehicle in my lifetime. It's a big sell to myself internally and really want to make sure it's the right choice.
Have you taken a test drive? If not, just do it and get it over with. It will answer all of your questions and doubts :) If not, ...?

Reactions: jvonbokel
I live in Southern/Central Illinois, but I suspect the winters are similar. I've found my RWD Model S to perform excellently in the winter. I've heard that getting a set of winter tires has as much or more effect than getting AWD.

Have you taken a test drive? If not, just do it and get it over with. It will answer all of your questions and doubts :) If not, ...?

Twice. And I'm pretty much settled on a 60. Just wondering if the extra $5k for the D is worth it or not. I have a CR-V right now and while I don't expect this to handle the snow like the CR-V, I have to be able to drive it to Chicago/Indy/etc on a regular basis for work.

Besides the fact that Tesla needs to get a Supercharger in the area....that would help things! :)

I live in Southern/Central Illinois, but I suspect the winters are similar. I've found my RWD Model S to perform excellently in the winter. I've heard that getting a set of winter tires has as much or more effect than getting AWD.

Saw that too...just not thrilled with having "winter tires" again for the car but if it's that much of an improvement, I'll make the jump.

Reactions: jvonbokel