Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Indiana Tesla owners and future owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Problem is US 30. That's the primary route to Chicago. Only the Country Club Hills SC available. Same with Green Bay. And it's out of the way for O'Hare/Midway.

That's a different/non critical issue. Would like to see more destination chargers especially in Fort Wayne.

Let me clarify, I still want the damn car. The big concern for me is handling in the winter and if it's good enough not to upgrade to the D model to save $5k. It might not seem like much, but I don't know if that $5k is going to be worth it AND if it would hold increased value over the long haul.

• Helpful
Reactions: jvonbokel
Problem is US 30. That's the primary route to Chicago. Only the Country Club Hills SC available. Same with Green Bay. And it's out of the way for O'Hare/Midway.

When I query Google Maps from Huntington to O'Hare, it plots a route that goes within 1mi of Country Club Hills. It does add ~20mi to the route for Midway, though. That said, I'm glad you clarified about what is really important to you, because we can argue all day about Supercharger availability. At the end of the day, we'd all like to have more of them along our most traveled routes to minimize detours, but waiting around for more optimal routing is usually not worthwhile.

In the first year I had my S, I drove ~450mi from St Louis to my annual family vacation spot in Michigan without Superchargers, because there were none*. The next year, there were two along my route (Normal & St Joseph). A year later and there were 4 (CC Hills & Springfield). Now I can even choose between I-55 or I-70/I-57 and have 4 Superchargers either way (Effingham & Champaign). The trip gets easier (and faster) every time I make it. If I hadn't had a Tesla event to get back to this year, I probably would've visited friends around Champaign or Effingham on my way home.

*On the way up, I stayed at a friend's house in Effingham and charged overnight on his dryer outlet, then completed the 400mi challenge (see avatar) the next day. On the way back, I visited a friend just outside Champaign who had installed a 14-50 specifically for me (I have some pretty awesome friends) and charged overnight just outside their garage. Took them out to breakfast in the morning to thank them for the couch space and the electrons.

The electrons in question are virtually free compared to the cost of the hardware and installation. I hope your friend either has other Tesla-driving friends and/or you visit+charge often.
He installed the outlet himself, and his breaker box was on the side of his garage, so the hardware and installation was quite minimal (~$20, I think). That said, the electrons are still rather inexpensive by comparison, as he has variable billing, and I'm usually charging overnight. Also, I visit a couple times a year, and he bought a Volt last year. :)

He installed the outlet himself, and his breaker box was on the side of his garage, so the hardware and installation was quite minimal (~$20, I think). That said, the electrons are still rather inexpensive by comparison, as he has variable billing, and I'm usually charging overnight. Also, I visit a couple times a year, and he bought a Volt last year. :)

6/3 copper is nearly $3/foot, the most expensive single item of any NEMA 14-50R installation. 50A breaker is about $10. Box and cover is about $10 for inside installation. The receptacle is about $10.

Ironically I installed my HPWC (on 50A circuit because I don't have twin charger) using Service Entrance 2-2-2 Aluminum costing $1.35/foot. But its a P.I.T.A. to bend and make connections.

• Informative
Prices too high, or you can't afford it? Not quite the same things.
I don't think Model S prices -- new or used -- are going to be hurt by the M3 for quite some time, given the limited availability of
M3s for at least the first year or two. If anything, people on the M3 waiting list will grow impatient and use a used MS as a way to
get into a Tesla sooner. But are you thinking you'd want to sell your MS as soon as the M3 comes along? You might not find yourself
so willing to part with it... :)

Prices are too high...
Besides isn't buying a 2013 model s like buying an iPhone 3 right now...... old technology is still old technology.
I will gladly wait for the Model 3 and enjoy it and the new technology it will bring
Thanks for the welcome to the group..... and some people claim the tesla people are snobs.......

Besides isn't buying a 2013 model s like buying an iPhone 3 right now.
It is, if your previous phone was a big, heavy, black phenolic beast made by Western Electric with a real physical bell ringer.

old technology is still old technology
And your M3 will be "old" technology the day after you drive it off the lot. You can't beat this merry-go-round, so your choices are to
stand by and watch it or get on.

some people claim the tesla people are snobs
You'd certainly never draw that conclusion from reading these boards. Tesla owners love their cars and want nothing more than
to "spread the joy" and get more people into Teslas. I've never sensed any sort of "exclusivity" whatsoever. If anything, as in
this case ;), you may find people critiquing your reasons not to get a Tesla sooner :)

• Love