Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mishawaka/South Bend IN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Checked today, no power, but the orange cones are gone.

photo.JPG

Most Superchargers are not solar powered.

Well, that is a very fudge-able thing. 90+% of solar systems are offset (net-metering) systems where excess beyond what is used in the house/business/charging station at the moment of generation is sent on to the grid, and is used to offset energy that is drawn from the grid when solar generation is insufficient. Over a period of time you true up your net usage (or generation) with the power company. It is completely possible that Tesla's supercharges could ALL be solar powered in the sense that SOMEWHERE Tesla is offsetting the power drawn from the grid with power sent to the grid.

Al, you probably know all that… not trying to correct you, but to point out that it could be considered solar powered even if it is not connected to panels.

Well, that is a very fudge-able thing. 90+% of solar systems are offset (net-metering) systems where excess beyond what is used in the house/business/charging station at the moment of generation is sent on to the grid, and is used to offset energy that is drawn from the grid when solar generation is insufficient. Over a period of time you true up your net usage (or generation) with the power company. It is completely possible that Tesla's supercharges could ALL be solar powered in the sense that SOMEWHERE Tesla is offsetting the power drawn from the grid with power sent to the grid.

Al, you probably know all that… not trying to correct you, but to point out that it could be considered solar powered even if it is not connected to panels.

LOL. Yeah, I get it. But that's A LOT of fudge! :smile:

I succeeded with charging at Mishawaka and then made the mistake of driving to Angola with 150 range miles for a 120 mile round trip in 25F weather. I used up more than half my charge on the 80/90 toll road. The Angola chargers did not work even though there was a humm from the transformers and the utilities power meter was turned on. I drove home on highway 20. The old Lincoln highway through Amish country at 43-45 mph with the heat turned off and arrived home cold with 4 range miles left.

Moral: don't believe the Tesla Supercharger icon on the map until someone confirms that the super charger is working.

This makes Mishawaka the first site in Indiana to successfully charge!!!!!!!

@william13
Great News. Both showing up in the car map, however as you told need to wait for Angola to be turned on. I must say, that was very brave of you to make a trip to Angola. Thank you for trying out. Please upload if you have any pics. I guess Toledo should not be far behind, if Cleveland has began construction.

@william13
Great News. Both showing up in the car map, however as you told need to wait for Angola to be turned on. I must say, that was very brave of you to make a trip to Angola. Thank you for trying out. Please upload if you have any pics. I guess Toledo should not be far behind, if Cleveland has began construction.

Now we just have to find the location in Toledo. It's awfully elusive.

@william13, @Sgt Barone
I have updated both locations in the Supercharger map, It was already added in the table below. It seems Angola Supercharger is in middle of nowhere, not sure how many charging bays. I looked up address in car map and have added the location accordingly. Google maps show a parking lot of a mini-golf. If @william13 can confirm or update as per his experience. Looks like we need to look even closer for Toledo one.

Tesla Supercharger locations - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

6 charging bays at Angola. It is on the top of a small hill. A Ramada Inn and a nice restaurant share parking lot space. It would be about a 10 minute round trip detour off I-80-90 tollway and 3 minutes round trip off I-69.

By the way I was not "brave", I was over enthusiastic and did not charge up prior to my excusion. Thanks for the cover.